First Month With Volant CAI
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By TomV
  • 4 Post By aviatordave
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, First Month With Volant CAI in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; so its been a month now since i have installed the Volant intake and im not completely satisfied. i have ...
    pinspade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6 liter

First Month With Volant CAI

so its been a month now since i have installed the Volant intake and im not completely satisfied.
    i have seen an increase in HP i can definitely see and feel an increase in power. its more responsive than ever before.
    But the reason i got it was for a minor boost in MPG and it has decreased my MPG in the city and a few MPG on the highway, which is nice, but i rarely drive the highway. So im a little dissapointed.

I do love the nice little HUM and power increase but i was hoping for more MPG over all.
    let me know if you have any questions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTSM is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

Re: First Month With Volant CAI

Once I coupled my Volant CAI with the Borla catback system for the CTS it was only then when the Volant showed it's true color! The performance of those two together is phenomenal!

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    A lot of people get a CAI thinking that less restriction in the air intake system will let the engine work easier and that the cooler air is better for the engine. Well, they are 100% correct. Problem is that you are getting more air, so you now need more fuel to to equal that air. Yes some intakes will improve mileage, but not all. Also, with the better sound and performance most people tend to be a bit more spirited with the skinny pedal without really noticing it. I have also had my intake in for a few months and have noticed a bit of mpg loss, but the smile on my face from the sound (which is louder because I have the lid off mine) is priceless. And as stated in the previous reply, the exhaust will probably help get rid of all the extra air!!!

JhughesCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts
    I was at 23.2 with an exhaust only. I'm now at 22 with the volant. But like said before the intake whine (for me) with the exhaust note is priceless.

TomV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 2003

I do not understand the reasoninng between a perceived improvement in HP and an expected improvement in MPG. If you are getting more HP where do you think the energy to get that is coming from? Air does not have energy. It has to come from the gasoline.

If CAI systems improved the MPG of any auto, why aren't they a standard component? When MPG is front and center in advertising campaigns, any advantage in that parameter would be worth the slight additional cost in the quantities autos are sold.

Jim's 06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Amen to TomV.

I don't see how a CAI would hurt your mileage, except through enhanced usage of the gas pedal. But that's what it's mostly about: the sound.

aviatordave is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS, 1976 Seville (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's 06 View Post
    Amen to TomV.

I don't see how a CAI would hurt your mileage, except through enhanced usage of the gas pedal. But that's what it's mostly about: the sound.
    it's all about the sound... and the little kick in the butt... isn't it?

who worries about 1.2 mpg when they are having fun??
    CTSM, CTSM, CJvitols and 1 others like this.

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

I have a question for all the guys here that have a CAI setup. I came across a somewhat old thread yesterday and it brought up some some red flags (for me at least) regarding CAI's and oil consumption.
    Have any of you noticed if your oil consumption has increased since installing your CAI? And if you've gotten more oil blow-by since installing a CAI?

I figured I'd ask before spending the money and maybe purchase an RX catch can while I'm at it to combat any additional blow-by caused by the CAI.

I haven't noticed any additional blow by. I don't see how the CAI would effect it. Do the catch can. It's a better mod than the intake when you look at maintenance and engine protection.

Pwayne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I've had my Volant installed for about 3 years now. When I drive conservatively, I have noticed no change in gas mileage. Hard to say when you are driving aggressively if gas mileage is better or worse than before. I also have had NO oil consumption increase. Also in the "great intake challenge" on this forum, the Volant provided the best HP increase. I see no downside. I prefer leaving the lid on, otherwise you are introducing hot air into your cold air intake, which defeats part of the improvement. You still get less restriction I guess, but I want that air to be as cool as possible. I recommend the Volant.

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

I have had my Volant on for a couple months now. I added the weather stripping to seal the lid, whether or not that does anything to quiet it down, I do not know, because mine is still quite loud. However, with no change to my driving methods, I have noticed no ill-effects to either my fuel economy or oil consumption. With the way I drive, I will never see optimal gas mileage, so having a little fun in the 1750rpm-2250rpm range, listening to the Volant sing, does not really factor in. My car did not have any concerning oil consumption issues when I bought it 20K miles ago, nor has it exhibited any since the addition of the intake. Intake mods usually work best when paired with exhaust upgrades... if you are going to make it easier to inhale, you might as well make it easier to exhale as well... and I cannot wait to get the CTS-V exhaust put under my car to help add some exhaust tone to balance the report I get from the intake.

Well just for fun run the car for a day with the cover OFF the box. That's how i run mine all the time. It sounds too good to put the cover back on. I may use a piece of old black door seal to put around the top of the box to keep the little extra bot of heat out. But Bob Sagget it sounds awesome!!!

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
    ...But Bob Sagget it sounds awesome!!!

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by TomV View Post
    I do not understand the reasoninng between a perceived improvement in HP and an expected improvement in MPG. If you are getting more HP where do you think the energy to get that is coming from? Air does not have energy. It has to come from the gasoline.

If CAI systems improved the MPG of any auto, why aren't they a standard component? When MPG is front and center in advertising campaigns, any advantage in that parameter would be worth the slight additional cost in the quantities autos are sold.
    Im not an engine builder in any way, but Ive talked with some talented engine builders (I know one whos been successful on the salt flats, fwiw) and they all say they you cant simply say more hp equals less mpg. You can generalize but you cant make a blanket statement.
    When talking about MPG and intake/exhaust systems, NVH and emissions are as much factors as MPG. If MPG were the only factor, we wouldnt have CATS or mufflers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.