Dealer installed refurbished part in my car as new
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Dealer installed refurbished part in my car as new in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; ...
    bo3adsa is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): White diamond 05 CTS 3.6L Euro

Thumbs down Dealer installed refurbished part in my car as new

I need some advice on my situation.
    I brought my car in to the local GM dealer for a fix, and after I picked it up I discovered they installed refurbished part without informing me and the invoice doesnít show the part been used is refurbished.

I was furious about this and contacted them to get some answers about why theyíre using refurbished parts and charging the customer for the price of a new part without even getting the approval. The feedback was it is normal for a dealer to use refurbished part as it been tested and approved by GM and I didnít get an answer about why Iíve been charged for new part.

What I want to know, is GM conceder this an acceptable act and normal for a dealer to use refurbished parts and charge the customer for the full price?

I might understand and accept what they did if the fix was covered by the warranty to save some $$. But in my case Iím the one who paid the bill since the warranty already expired.

I love my car and take good care of it, but now I lost the trust in GM dealer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Re: Dealer installed refurbished part in my car as new

What's the part?

ECM module

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

refurbished vs remanufactured
    two totally different (and often confused) terms

refurbished is basically a used part that has been cleaned up

remanufactured is a part that has had it's guts replaced with new components while re-using cast parts like housings/casings/bodies/etc

a reman starter for instance is basically new... sure the housing is old, but it's been sandblasted and repainted and filled with new internals

here's how ACDelco puts is

Using strict specifications and rigorous testing, ACDelco Remanufactured Starters are engineered for most cars, light-duty trucks and sport utility vehicles on the road today. As required ACDelco replaces those parts of its remanufactured units that are most subject to wear and failure with new components. These are:
    • Brushes
      • Worn brushes are one of the primary causes of starter failure, so ACDelco starters always contain new brushes
      • ACDelco brushes are 100% durability-tested for performance reliability
    • Armature Support Bushing
      • These bushing protect finely machined components against ongoing wear
      • ACDelco starters use 100% new copper and bronze-sintered, oil-impregnated bushings enhance durability and wear resistance
    • Solenoid Contacts
    • The solenoid assembly is subject to corrosion and oxidation, reducing conductivity and service life
    • ACDelco solenoid contacts are 100% new, featuring copper terminals and plated hardware

Also important to the starter performance, Armatures and Commutators are tested and Drive Clutch Assemblies are inspected for signs of wear and replaced with new, when necessary.
    • Armatures and Commutators
      • As a starter's primary torque-producing elements, the armature & commutator are critical to proper cranking capability
      • ACDelco armature and commutators are precision machined and electronically tested to help consistent starting performance
    • Drive Clutch Assemblies
    • Consisting of numerous small, intricate parts, the drive clutch assembly is subjected to considerable abuse with every start
    • ACDelco drive clutches are fully dismantled and remanufactured then sealed with aerospace-quality grease to help maximize performance at all temperatures.

----------

a refurbished ECM is basically a used ECM

a remanufactured ECM is basically a new ECM
    (the metal plate that the computer bits sit in is reused but the computer bits are replaced with new parts)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

cmjohnson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS luxury package

Is it possible that there aren't any NEW ECMs to be had?

If nothing else, I'd check on that, first, and get the actual GM price for both refurbished and new ECMs.

The refurbished one should be cheaper. If the dealership charged you the same price as for a new one, you got screwed,
    to the point that you should be having your lawyer send them a nasty letter.

Also, check the service agreement. See if it says anything about using refurbished or remanufactured parts. If it does,
    you might have no recourse. If it doesn't, you have a leg to stand on, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cmjohnson View Post
    Is it possible that there aren't any NEW ECMs to be had?
    ding ding ding

we have a winner!

and GM/ACDelco parts will never be reconditioned only remanufactured
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Thanks guys for your feedback.

What I understood from them when they contacted me that it was OK for GM to use refurbished part, if they didnít have a new one in their hands. I tried searching for GM head office customer service E-mail to contact them regarding this matter, but couldnít find it.

unfortunately I didnít have the time to check the different cost between new and refurbished part from the Auto part department, but I +know itís against the law to label any product that is NOT new as ďnewĒ.

I donít want to take this matter to a higher level. Laws in here might be different than the US plus they are a huge company and selling cars is just a small part of their organization with unlimited resources to legal aid and it will be a lose battle for me to stand against them.. thatís why I wanted to know if it was acceptable for GM -in general- to install refurbished parts instead new without referring to the customer.

I really appreciate your input, and I feel much better after reading all the posts.

Thanks again.

listen to me

they did not sell you a refurbished part

they sold you a remanufactured part

there is a world of difference as I have explained

Her is a picture of attached label on the box
    Attached Images

ok, so they are using the terms interchangeably

they shouldn't - as it gets confusing

our parts catalog says "remanufactured" when we look up these parts

the sticker is correct, but makes it seem like you have a used part that has just been cleaned up

i have seen tons of these parts and they are indistinguishable from new parts
    and they have the same warranty that the new parts carry

Thanks for clearing it up for me

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.