Tail of the Dragon pics!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Tail of the Dragon pics!!! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Well, I can happily say that I survived the tail of the dragon!! What an amazing place. So some of ...
    Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package

Tail of the Dragon pics!!!

Well, I can happily say that I survived the tail of the dragon!! What an amazing place. So some of you know that I have done a few things to the car and I can now report on how they performed. The three major additions were a set of D2 36 way adjustable coilovers. The second was a set of Falken Azenis FK-453 tires. The third was a set of Helo HE851 20" rims. The tires are the successors to the FK-452. The coilovers were amazing. They have stock suspension manners and ride for every day use, but when pushed in the corners they are awesome. The tires were amazing. Once they go around a few corners and get warmed up they are very sticky. Also, they don't start to get slick when they get too warm. I did a full 8 hours of very hard driving and cornering and they stood up to the demand all day long. They have an awesome ride on all roads and they have ZERO road noise. They are by far the best and QUIETEST tires I have ever had. The 20" rims, well, they are more for looks. Took a bit of power away from the car but they handled great on the twisty roads. Anyone who has been to the dragon knows what the roads are like, and that there is no video in the world to describe what its like.

I went with an S2000 club that a few close friends belong to. It was a tall order to drive roads like that with those cars. But, to my surprise, and more to the surprise of many of the S drivers my car kept up to them and even lost a few of them on the roads. I of course was pushing my car harder than they were just to stay with them. I am totally amazed how the CTS handled on those roads. It is all owed to the suspension and tires. I had stock brakes on my car and they were put to the test. They did ok with no brake fade but I would have benefited from a set of cross drilled and some killer pads.

So here are some pics of some cars. I will have some nice GoPro vids to post up this week.

Oh, and for those of you with a Volant intake, take the cover off the box, go for a ride and enjoy the sweet sweet sound!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Tail of the Dragon pics!!!

[COLOR="Silver"]

----------
    CTSM and CTSM like this.

Kael is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option

Its a nice place isn't it? My parents retried to that area.
    And when I say "that area" they are in Vonore, ten minutes from the dragon.

You do know that the CTS is made to handle twisties like that right? I am not surprised at all that you kept up the s2000's.
    I have some friends with BMW Z3's and Z4's and they are amazed I can keep up with them in a "big car" (I call them "go carts").

If you want to have more fun get some better sway bars, maybe some chassis stiffening.

Well next year I will be taking my Mini Cooper S. suited more for those roads. But, I will prob take the Caddy again. Ya I wish I would have gotten some sways but the budget was low lol.

Tlorenzen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack

Beautiful Road. I will definitely be hitting it if I'm ever up that way. We have a road down here along the river with a bunch of curves in it that we hit about once a week. Nothing nearly as extreme as that, but it's definitely fun. My cts suprised me on it as well. I was constantly leaving my friend who has a srt challenger in the dust. He has a ton of power, but couldn't take the corners.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Me and a couple buddies were talkin about bringing our bikes over and riding the dragon. I doubt we will ever do it just because of work.

We've got a few roads around here that are nice...but nothing like that.

Way to keep up, and the fk452's I've got are great, I hope they aren't discontinued because I need 2 new ones...

Quote Originally Posted by ghettomike
    Me and a couple buddies were talkin about bringing our bikes over and riding the dragon. I doubt we will ever do it just because of work.

We've got a few roads around here that are nice...but nothing like that.

Way to keep up, and the fk452's I've got are great, I hope they aren't discontinued because I need 2 new ones...
    They are discontinued. Only ones you can get are stuff that's left over in stock. Start calling around. The FK-453 is the new tire. It was weird because the new ones don't have the same V pattern as the 452. But I drove all the way from Ontario to Kentucky in a hell of a rain storm and they were awesome in the rain and superb on the twisty roads. No tire squeal or sliding whatsoever!

Wila is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS

Nice pics. My cts has surprised me as wheel when taking corners only thing im sliding around in the drivers seat lol

damn, just noticed you are ontario canada... one of the guys i was taking about going out there with is from sudburry.... you dont know anyone who just left canada to go to Thailand for a few months do you? hes been there since feb i think....and funny he mentioned last year a buddy of his from sudburry was looking at a cts.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettomike
    damn, just noticed you are ontario canada... one of the guys i was taking about going out there with is from sudburry.... you dont know anyone who just left canada to go to Thailand for a few months do you? hes been there since feb i think....and funny he mentioned last year a buddy of his from sudburry was looking at a cts.
    Haha no I have no idea who it is. Is he on this board? I would love to meet up with him. I ha e probably seen him around town.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

I love the S2000. Fantastic car to drive fast. That ZL1 is still a rare sight! Im surprised that you want to use the Mini Cooper next time. There cant be too many turns that the CTS cant take at posted speed limits? Ive heard that area is flush with cops.

At a passing glance, it looks like your CTS rides really high. It could be the pictures, but how far is the side skirt off the ground, or how far from ground to fenderwell?

Ya the car rides a bit high because it has 20" rims. I had a few rubbing issues. I have rolled my fenders and trimmed a few things so I am hoping to lower it a bit. I will go back again with the Caddy after I do a few more handling and braking mods to it. The Mini would be fun to toss around the corners. Haha posted speed limits you say......the Caddy does all the corners at posted speeds for sure. Double and the triple the speed is where the fun starts!!

You know, I had a blast in my car and I will definitely go again. Its one thing to say that the CTS was built to be a performance sedan. Its another to take those roads at triple the speed limit and see what it can do. I was soooo happy with the way the car handled and how surprised everyone was at how it drove the road. I will be going back every year, so the Caddy will run it again. I will be modding the Mini regardless so it will be fun to take it there to enjoy the upgrades.

Argent1 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
    Haha no I have no idea who it is. Is he on this board? I would love to meet up with him. I ha e probably seen him around town.
    What........you mean there are more than two people living in Sudbury ? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
    i just thought the timeline of when he was telling me his friend was looking for a cts and your forum join date kinda lined up.
    he doesnt live in the suds right now, hes down in mississauga (once he returns from his long adventure) just got a message saying hes leaving Thailand and heading to Nepal. he grew up in the suds and went to university there. i went up to visit my other buddy there a couple times and his friend's parents own one of the local pubs thats more popular..cant remember the name of it. but we wanted to know if it was bussy so he logged in on the survalance system so we could see the crowd, we went for a bit then headed to some big club/bar... this is going back about 7 years ago at least, and im 90% sure the bar is still there that his buddys parents own. they have live bands, i want to say its a Irish pub...but cant really remember...i was drunk lol. its just packed with long tables and chairs.

TheBrown57 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2 Luxury Sport

I will be down there for a big group ride in June! Can't wait!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.