Anything else I should worry about?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Anything else I should worry about? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I've been reading here for a while. Sorry if I didn't introduce myself sooner. Have a 2007 cts. I've been ...
    holsgo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts

Anything else I should worry about?

I've been reading here for a while. Sorry if I didn't introduce myself sooner. Have a 2007 cts. I've been good about fluids...hence how I noticed the second most common problem, the trans lines. I'm aware of the timing chain issue and have a copy of the special warrantee at the ready if I hear a click or two. What else is a common issue? I wish I has asked this before I just bought new trans lines. I've done the cabin air, air, oil filters. New brake fluid all through. I'd like to catch anything before it becomes an issue. You guys have a head start on me.
    Thanks again for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 128k

Re: Anything else I should worry about?

The differentials have a tendancy to leak and then they start to howl...If you don't know the last time the diff fluid was changed and you're over 50k I'd suggest getting that done.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

Keeping up on the fluids and filters will certainly help, but there are flaws in the system that need to be addressed. Most of these solutions can be found in the FAQ/DIY sticky.

Oil Consumption Issue:
    The PCV systems in these cars are archaic and under-developed. People have found that drilling the top hole and the larger of the two bottom holes in the PCV metering tube out to 7/64" helps reduce the LY7's tendency to eat oil. If you are going to address the PCV/oil consumption issue, you might as well install an RX Performance catch can and breather cap at the same time. That is the only way to totally solve the problem.

Transmission Cooling Lines Issue:
    The fittings connecting the transmission lines to the in-radiator cooling unit are junk and often break/leak. Eliminating the factory transmission cooler, and installing an aftermarket/external cooler in its place seems to be the only answer. At least it is an easy/cheap answer. I just ordered my B&M 70264 SuperCooler the other day.

Differential Issue:
    You need to eliminate the slop in the driveline. As the years wear on, the weight of your transmission begins to compress the soft rubber transmission mount. This creates slack in the driveline, making everything vibrate and rattle. Needless to say, this is bad, very bad. There is no easy fix for this, so it has to be approached as an entire system. Look at RevShift and Creative Steel... they make a whole host of parts for out driveline. But what has to be addressed is the transmission mount (buy a new one, stuff the RevShift reinforcing block in it), flex discs (inproper driveshaft angle tears them apart, RevShift and Creative Steel make quality replacements), and the forward differential bushing (once again, RevShift and Creative Steel both make replacements). Creative Steel makes a differential block to help eliminate the wiggle room the differential has, and BMR Suspension also makes a pinion brace that supports the front differential bushing... but those last two are not absolutely necessary, but are things to keep in mind.

None of this should really worry you, these are just the areas that you should just plan to address first. A lot of it depends on how you treat/drive your car. The first thing you should always upgrade/fix in any car is the driver.

Resource links (hope this helps):
    FAQ/DIY (should always be the first place you look):
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...w-manuals.html
    RX Performance (catch cans & breather kits & VMAX):
    http://www.revxtreme.com/performance.../rx-catch-cans
    RevShift (bushings, flex discs, mounts):
    https://www.revshift.com/shop/cts.php
    Creative Steel (bushings, flex discs, mounts):
    https://creative-steel.com/store/ind...duct_list&c=43
    BMR Suspension (pinion brace, anti wheelhop kit, trailing arms):
    http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&vehicleid=8
    B&M SuperCooler:
    http://bmracing.com/?wpsc-product=au...ated-11x6x1-12

holsgo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts

Diff fluid was just done. I dumped all of it, which looked like crap, and filled her up. Wish I knew more about the trans lines before I just had them replaced. But if they leak again I'm passing the rad with the trans cooler. I'll keep my ears on the rear mount. I'm a tame driver. The wife is like Mary poppins so I'm pretty sure the cars not getting pushed hard. Thanks for he heads up. These are the things I will need to watch. I've read most of those threads but there's one or two to catch up on. Thanks for the warnings.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.