Radiator fitting leak? Maybe?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Radiator fitting leak? Maybe? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I was under the car doing the oil this morning and I discovered what looks to be a fluid leak. ...
    holsgo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts

Radiator fitting leak? Maybe?

I was under the car doing the oil this morning and I discovered what looks to be a fluid leak. The hose goes from the base of the radiator, right in the middle, to the back. I jiggled things and I find the fitting in the pic to be loose. Not the nut, but the fitting into the nut. Any idea what this hose is so I can research further?
    P1060180.JPG
    P1060181.JPG
    Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Radiator fitting leak? Maybe?

Possibly the transmission oil cooler lines?

Well she's in the shop. It certainly is the transmission cooler lines. the fitting into the radiator has way too much play to hold fluid. I probably have 1 cup of fluid strewn under the vehicle. Glad I caught it since this would end badly if it went on for a while.

Just to give a thanks to the people on this forum. I got much info about these lines from taking a ton of time today to read all of the threads. From here on I will have the tool and I've even though about an external cooler. Friggin ridiculous. I guess I caught it early enough but what ever happened to just attaching the lines the good old fashion way, like I remember from the 80s.

A48WillyzGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS
    Glad you got it figured out. These cars are notorious for trans cooler lines, as I'm sure you've read by now.

Obviously, were much too technologically advanced to use those primitive 80's techniques. Lol.

rb0757 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Those days of the 80's are gone engineers like to reinvent the wheel. I put the external cooler on, it helps keep the trans fluid from over heating, remember heat is one of the things that damage transmissions

arogers260 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury/Sport package
    Quote Originally Posted by rb0757
    Those days of the 80's are gone engineers like to reinvent the wheel. I put the external cooler on, it helps keep the trans fluid from over heating, remember heat is one of the things that damage transmissions
    You happen to know the ideal tranny fluid temp for our car? I've been wondering this for awhile but haven't found a solid answer.

Generally, trans temp should be similar to engine temps. 200 F is about as high as you'd want it to be.

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Anybody installed a trans temp guage, or know a good spot on the tranny to install the sender ?

Quote Originally Posted by Argent1
    Anybody installed a trans temp guage, or know a good spot on the tranny to install the sender ?
    I use the torque app, it may not be 100% accurate but it's a pretty good ballpark estimate. My coolant is usually around 165*-175*. Haven't seen the tranny temp over 150*.

I passed through Pep boys this morning to see about the disconnect tools and a trans cooler. Now I need to plan this out. I did find a thread on this forum about actually removing the troublesome fitting and going direct with the hose and clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by arogers260

I use the torque app, it may not be 100% accurate but it's a pretty good ballpark estimate. My coolant is usually around 165*-175*. Haven't seen the tranny temp over 150*.
    An update on these stats after a drive today resulted in my highest value on coolant was 203* tranny temps highest value was 188*. I do have an active coolant leak I haven't had time to fix.

Man, I wish my Torque would read my trans temps. I've been bamboozled! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by A48WillyzGuy
    Man, I wish my Torque would read my trans temps. I've been bamboozled! Lol.
    I think it is gm method 1, for transmission temp. I found it works when I start the car then doesn't change until you exit the app and then start the app back up.

I've followed a couple threads now on the separate cooler setup. I have just 2 questions so far, 1- I believe the line in my first pic is the feed line into the rad and the line in the second pic (blurry fitting at the top) is back from the rad to the trans? 2-how did you guys plug the rad? Just cut the fitting off the hose and leave it in the rad with a plug in it? That's for the fitting in the first pic, the second line which is alum it seems can just have a dead ended hose clamped on it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.