car covers for hail... need advice because im in kansas and i dont have a garage!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 4 Post By ghettomike
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, car covers for hail... need advice because im in kansas and i dont have a garage! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; For those in the midwest with no garage.. what do you do when hails about to head your way? Ive ...
    hevenz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

car covers for hail... need advice because im in kansas and i dont have a garage!

For those in the midwest with no garage.. what do you do when hails about to head your way? Ive been racing to the nearest gas station or car wash but that wont work so well when im at work. I saw this car cover built for my situation but sadly i dont think it will raise enough money.. http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wo...ing-mobile-app

Ive bought one but i have a feeling theyll be refunding every ones money... i honestly thougjt there would me more covers like this on the market.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Re: car covers for hail... need advice because im in kansas and i dont have a garage!

Quote Originally Posted by hevenz View Post
    For those in the midwest with no garage.. what do you do when hails about to head your way? Ive been racing to the nearest gas station or car wash but that wont work so well when im at work. I saw this car cover built for my situation but sadly i dont think it will raise enough money.. http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wo...ing-mobile-app

Ive bought one but i have a feeling theyll be refunding every ones money... i honestly thougjt there would me more covers like this on the market.
    i dont understand the whole must reach goal of funding... are they asking for donations or what?
    personally, if the product isnt ready and for sale im not wasting my time handing $ over.

you could buy a mattress memory foam cover and put it on your car, then throw a real car cover on top of it.

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

Re: car covers for hail... need advice because im in kansas and i dont have a garage!

Because my dad has a mint condition 1986 SAAB 900S, any time there is inclement weather of any kind, he gets dibs on the garage. We don't get a lot of hail in Texas, but when we do, it's usually golf ball - baseball sized hail.
    To combat the damaged caused by said hail we tape a few layers of cardboard on all the vital parts of the car with painters tape. This includes the hood, roof, front and rear windows, door panels (which includes side windows) and the trunk lid.

We then throw the car cover over it and call it a day. The cardboard doesn't get wet because all our car covers are waterproof. Might sound like over kill but if you really want your car to not be damaged by hail, and you have no safe place to park it, this is really the only option you have unless you buy those inflatable car covers.

Anyways that's my two cents. Might not be practical for you but if I were in your situation, I would just carry the spare cardboard in my trunk during hail season. It's either that or you pay for the body work that your insurance most likely will fight you on covering it.

Campoli is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS
    Card board or a heavy blanket

hevenz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

[QUOTE=ghettomike;3284500]i dont understand the whole must reach goal of funding... are they asking for donations or what?
    personally, if the product isnt ready and for sale im not wasting my time handing $ over.

/QUOTE]

Its kind of like a kickstarter campaign... you dont get charged unless they reach the goal.. its to secure funding for a ideas that people come up with or invent. I like the concept... although some ideas you might really like never see the ligjt of day due to lack of interest

[QUOTE=hevenz;3284709]
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettomike View Post
    i dont understand the whole must reach goal of funding... are they asking for donations or what?

/QUOTE]

Its kind of like a kickstarter campaign... you dont get charged unless they reach the goal.. its to secure funding for a ideas that people come up with or invent. I like the concept... although some ideas you might really like never see the ligjt of day due to lack of interest
    only way ide be putting money into a kickstarter is if i got a kickback % on the profit for the life of the company, but would hold no shares in the company thus no legal obligations in the debt if they eff up.
    thats just me.
    you are basicaly giving creditcard info away, and hoping you get something in return.

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

[QUOTE=ghettomike;3284713]
    Quote Originally Posted by hevenz View Post

only way ide be putting money into a kickstarter is if i got a kickback % on the profit for the life of the company, but would hold no shares in the company thus no legal obligations in the debt if they eff up.
    thats just me.
    you are basicaly giving creditcard info away, and hoping you get something in return.
    Phishing scam ?

[QUOTE=Argent1;3285229]
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettomike View Post

Phishing scam ?
    if i were to put money into anything with this product and their initial sales strategy, it would be betting that you wont get anything out of it...so ya, most likely a scam.

Kickstarters have actually had quite a bit of success since it's fruition. Though there have been a few that turned out to be scams. That's why most people who start a kickstarter, normally try and get as many people to contribute so the average donation can be anywhere from 1$-5$. With that said though, your credit card information is protected by the website. The person you are contributing money to never sees your credit card info.

Quote Originally Posted by DopeEffect View Post
    Kickstarters have actually had quite a bit of success since it's fruition. Though there have been a few that turned out to be scams. That's why most people who start a kickstarter, normally try and get as many people to contribute so the average donation can be anywhere from 1$-5$. With that said though, your credit card information is protected by the website. The person you are contributing money to never sees your credit card info.
    donation to a new company, and you get what out of it?
    if its a deposit towards the product, and the site that is managing it is well known and has a good reputation thats one thing, but donation is giving something and getting nothing.
    i had someone come to my door asking me to add $20/month to my electric bill to contribute to the construction of a new green power plant..once again, getting nothing for my money because they stated my power would still be coming from the current power provider.
    sorry, my money is mine and not yours.

That all depends on how much you donate. The more you donate, the more prestige comes with your donation. I donated 200$ to a kickstarter for a video game my friend in Austin, TX is making. I got my faced digitally mapped and it will be used in the game. I also get a free copy of the game when it comes out and a spot in the credits as well as posters, t-shirts, & stickers. On top of that once I finish going to school for computer programming, there's a very big possibility that he might hire me on. Of course that all depends on how successful his game is. If it flops oh well, I look at it as an investment in my future.

Anyways, while gaming might not be your thing, it's essentially the same format for whatever you're interested in. For example that car cover hevens posted a link to. If he donated lets say 100$, they in turn will send him a personalized car cover with a graphic of his choosing and his name on it. This is merely an example but overall you get the point.

Trust me I understand where you're coming from because people have been ripped off from kickstarters and it especially sucks for the people who donate a lot of money. I have seen some kickstarters with donations up to 30k. At the end of the day, it also kind of has that vibe of there being no reward in life without risk.

Just like you said about the green power plant thing someone asked you to donate to. While I would be suspicious as well, if the company checked out to not be crooks and were actually going to build a green power plant in my area then yea, I might donate to it because lets say in 10 years when they finish it, they could give all the people who donated the extra 20 bucks a month for 10 years free electricity for however long or the equivalent of what they donated, in stock/bonds. If that company got very rich, you in turn would greatly profit from that.

Do the math. If you donated an extra 20$ for 10 years that's 2400 you invested in that green power plant. If the entire population of the city I live in agreed to that proposition, after the first year that company would have 9.6 million dollars in funds to build the green power plant. In 10 years they'd have 96 million dollars.

There are both pros and cons to kickstarters. Hence why it's up to the people contributing to make sure it's legitimate.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.