06 CTS 2.8 103k miles with rattle at high rpms and hesitation.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 06 CTS 2.8 103k miles with rattle at high rpms and hesitation. in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I bought this car in December. The only thing I notice odd was when you drove down the road at ...
    Myrtle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS 2.8

Unhappy 06 CTS 2.8 103k miles with rattle at high rpms and hesitation.

I bought this car in December. The only thing I notice odd was when you drove down the road at a constant speed the rpms would jump a little, and I swear the accelerator is really sensitive.

Monday, I noticed a rattle when I was at higher rpms before it shifts to a higher gear. 2-4 th gears is where i hear the rattle. It also seems to hesitate when it does this. Once the car switches to a higher gear the noise goes away. Doing 50+ you never hear the sound. 0-40 is the speed which I have heard it.

The noise is not present when you are in park, and you rev it up. But I think I hear the noise when the car is first started for a few seconds.

Any suggestions on what it is?

Eileen
    St. Paul Mn

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: 06 CTS 2.8 103k miles with rattle at high rpms and hesitation.

Welcome to the Forums, Eileen!

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Thread moved to CTS discussion.

Litlgangsta is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 2.8L w/Bose

your oil level, check it. Almost guaranteed your running without oil and your engine pumping on oxygen is causing the rattle.

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

As stated above, check your oil level. Might sound stupid but these cars have a tendency to burn through a lot of oil and the lower they run on oil, the noisier they get (this is because the timing chains aren't getting proper lubrication). Idk how often you check your oil but if you don't check it once a week you should start doing so immediately.

Engine rattle can be difficult to diagnose without video of some kind where we can hear the noise you're talking about. I posted a thread a few days ago displaying a rattle my engine makes. You might want to check it out here --> http://bit.ly/YmC2jH and see if the noise is similar.

I have read countless threads and posts on the subject and it can be a number of things. Your heat shield could be a little loose, passenger side exhaust could be loose, catalytic converter could be loose, tensioner guide could be loose/worn, your serpentine belt might need to be lubed/replaced, alternator could be worn, one of your serpentine belt pulley's could be loose, your water pump may need to be replaced, or it could be your timing chains. My car has a distinct chain rattle on a cold start up for 1-2 seconds. I won't hear the noise again unless the car is parked for longer than 4 hours.

As far as the hesitation/jolt you get when accelerating, I think I might know what you need to look for because my car does it as well and I have narrowed it down to 3 possible things. A good way to test this would be doing the following. I drive through a school zone everyday on the way home from work which requires me to drive 20mph for about 1/4 of a mile. When I exit the school zone and have to accelerate back up to 40, my car hesitates when it reaches 30mph. My RPM's drop about 500 and the engine has a noticeable change in sound and feels very sluggish. It then slowly accelerates till about 40 and then BAM, the engine no longer feels sluggish and accelerates fine after that point.

I used to just give it more gas but I have a feeling it's due to my timing chains and don't want to break them by forcing tension on them. I feel it could also be a combination of either my rear differential or my torque converter. The rear differentials have been a problem for a few people on this forum but as long as you change your fluid at the recommended times which can be anywhere from 15-50,000 miles and eventually invest in getting the bushings replaced that attach the rear diff to the drive shaft, it should last you the life of the vehicle. Torque converter is something I have rarely seen people on this forum complain about. Then again there are a few people I can think of that have had to replace it.

The timing chains on the other hand is something countless members on this forum have had to replace and is something you should replace if you plan to still be driving the car after 150,000 miles (I plan to replace mine at 115,000 and I'm currently sitting at 104,428). It's the main weak point on this car just like the rear differential is on the CTS-V.

Thanks for you advice!!!

The car was low on oil... I'm a little on the embarrased side to admit it...

They are going to change the oil and I'm crossing my fingers all of the rattle goes away. Then it will be just a wait and see what damage was done by running it low on oil. I'm a little worried now about the timing chain.

I'm surprised that there wasn't a low oil indicator light that came on.

Why is it these motors burn so much oil?

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 126k

I do not believe the 2.8 has an oil level sensor, someone else can chime in and correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think it does.

There are countless threads here detailing the oil useage of the engines used in the CTS, unfortunately it's quite common. It's best to check it about once a week so you can get a handle on exactly how much your engine is using specifically.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

We are gonna change the oil again around 2,500 miles and cut open the filter to see if there is any metal in there...

I'll be toting around a jug of oil with from now on.

The guy at the repair shop didn't think it had a sensor in it either. That would have been a good thing to know about when I bought it.. But I also should have checked the oil sooner too....

The dipstick never lies

Good luck with your CTS!
    Past Cadillac's

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

Technically, the chain is damaged anytime it's in use. Of course under normal operating conditions i.e. not running the engine low on oil, they'll be fine (It's essentially damage the chains were made to withstand). So if anything, you just put more stress on the chains by driving it around low on oil.

Metal shavings found in the oil, oil pan, and oil filter are normal to an extent. Little specks here and there are okay. What you need to look for are large deposits of metal shavings. Due to the mileage on your car, it's pretty much a safe bet that the chains are already worn and stretched a little bit. Does that mean your timing chains are going to snap at any second? Not necessarily.

The best thing you can do is just keep up on your oil changes, check your oil level once a week, don't drive it too hard, and listen to your engine @ start up. The chain rattle is very distinct and you will without a doubt notice it. The longer you hear it rattle at start up, the more your chains are stretching. Once you notice the car can no longer operate without the chain rattling, it's definitely time to get them swapped out.

Most people make that decision when they rattle for longer than 3-4 seconds. One of the guys I work with has a cts and his chains are always rattling. He hasn't replaced them but he is aware of the issue. The car still runs fine but of course it sounds like crap and is very sluggish and shaky.

Quote Originally Posted by DopeEffect View Post

Most people make that decision when they rattle for longer than 3-4 seconds.
    I ditched my CTS when it started rattling during cold starts, wasn't taking any chances or forking over that kind of dough, plus it was a bit too small for my liking. Bought a V8 instead
    Past Cadillac's

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.