Flex Disc - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Flex Disc in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hey guys, did your vibration include a steering wheel shake or was it all "on the floor" or in the ...
    caddyshack33 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS 3.2 5-spd Manual
    Hey guys, did your vibration include a steering wheel shake or was it all "on the floor" or in the seats? I think I may have more than one vibration issue going on that has made me crazy for some time. (my steering wheel shakes intermittently between 50-60 mph, but I also have other vibs in the seats/floor). Waiting on delivery of a new softer Creative Steel flex disc to try it out. i had their polyurethane disc installed but it didn't seem to change any issue long term. I'll need to check the bolt pattern, too.

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    So, I installed the New softer Flex Disk from Creative Steel and 98% of my vibrations are gone. I re-installed the Bolts/washers as posted by Chris and replaced my transmission mount, and diff mount bushing. Everything seems G2G now.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L / 09 CBR 600rr - Bazzaz tuned

Re: Flex Disc

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    ah ok... i was going to say you can't buy those...
    ive got a couple backups....not for sale though.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettomike View Post
    ive got a couple backups....not for sale though.
    Of course ;-)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

ctsboiha is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): cts
    How hard is it to change the tranny mount? An where would one buy one at?

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsboiha
    How hard is it to change the tranny mount? An where would one buy one at?

-- i guess the original post got messed up --

Lift the car. Place a transmission jack on the trans oil pan. Jack the trans up a little bit to support it. Be careful not to damage the shifter linkage. There are six 15mm bolts to remove and 2 T-47/T-45 (I don't remember the exact size) Hex bolt to remove. The trans mount and bracket will be removed and you can place the new mount back on with the mounting bracket. It will only fit one way. Tighten the bolts down lower the transmission and you are done.

My exhaust was off at the time so I Don't know how much clearance you will have with it on the car.

Check with rippyparts (site vendor) for the trans mount or check around online.

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehaze07 View Post
    So, I installed the New softer Flex Disk from Creative Steel and 98% of my vibrations are gone. I re-installed the Bolts/washers as posted by Chris and replaced my transmission mount, and diff mount bushing. Everything seems G2G now.
    Super glad to hear that our disc solved 98% of your vibrations. These flex discs have been a nightmare to figure out how to build but we have it figured out now. We have been told of this same situation by others which is another reason I'm glad we got these figured out. Thanks for giving us a shot.
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

unwritten is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L 5-speed manual with Sport Package

I installed a new soft Creative Steel flex disc in place of my front flex disc which was worn out and giving me the low speed clunking symptoms. I also installed a new trans mount. I do not have any vibrations, minimal clunk sometimes.. maybe need to replace the rear disc.

Quote Originally Posted by unwritten View Post
    I installed a new soft Creative Steel flex disc in place of my front flex disc which was worn out and giving me the low speed clunking symptoms. I also installed a new trans mount. I do not have any vibrations, minimal clunk sometimes.. maybe need to replace the rear disc.
    If you haven't checked your rear diff bushing and you're getting a clunk you should have a look. They are located at about "10:30" as you look down the drive line towards the differential, right above where the drive live meets the differential. Push up and pull down as hard as you can right where the drive line and differential meet while watching the bushing, if you get any movement the bushing is bad. The toque of the engine is a lot stronger than you are, so if you can move it by hand, it's really moving while you are driving, especially in stop and go traffic.
    maxx@creative-steel.com

unwritten is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L 5-speed manual with Sport Package

Quote Originally Posted by MotorMounts View Post
    If you haven't checked your rear diff bushing and you're getting a clunk you should have a look. They are located at about "10:30" as you look down the drive line towards the differential, right above where the drive live meets the differential. Push up and pull down as hard as you can right where the drive line and differential meet while watching the bushing, if you get any movement the bushing is bad. The toque of the engine is a lot stronger than you are, so if you can move it by hand, it's really moving while you are driving, especially in stop and go traffic.
    I did this and there was barely any movement in the diff bushing, most movement was in the driveshaft center bearing...

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    Yeah the center support bearing is another prime failure spot.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

The carrier bearings do go bad, but my money is still on the diff bushing causing a clunk. It doesn't sound like it's bad enough to take it apart to find out for sure, but if it gets worse that will change. The good news is that it will be annoying to the point of repair before any irreparable damage is done. Drive it.
    maxx@creative-steel.com

briggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles

I'm about to go down this road as I am getting the 'clunk'. It sounds like the softer creative steel guibos are the way to go. It also sounds like I need to change the front rare, and trans mount. what else am I missing.

Quote Originally Posted by briggy View Post
    I'm about to go down this road as I am getting the 'clunk'. It sounds like the softer creative steel guibos are the way to go. It also sounds like I need to change the front rare, and trans mount. what else am I missing.
    If you're getting a clunk I would also inspect the rear diff bushing.

I thought I clear-up one small detail, the couplers that we sell now (and for the past several months) are very close to the stiffness of the factory units, but use urethane instead of rubber. They are softer than our previous models, but now compare to the factory. The great news is that they don't vibrate and our prototype is still going strong, which has been over a year now.
    maxx@creative-steel.com

mattt0305 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum

My problem was that the bushing labeled 4 in the kf diagram rippy posted was slopped out. It fits on the pin that sticks out of the output flange of the tranny. The guibo does not hold the drive shaft on center, the pin and bushing do, so my CS front flex disc only lasted a
    couple of weeks. Every time I would step on the gas the drive shaft would want to rotate off center and trashed it. New drive shaft and problem solved. After what I spent trying to fix the old shaft including labor and a carrier bearing(that I didn't need), I could have almost paid for the new one since my buddy has a body shop and gets parts at his cost. Plus that center u-joint is not serviceable so it's all new now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.