Who wants to help me pick rims! - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Who wants to help me pick rims! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by CTS Orlando Robert, I've been eyeing those rims myself. I want to see a pic of those ...
    RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside

Re: Who wants to help me pick rims!

Quote Originally Posted by CTS Orlando
    Robert, I've been eyeing those rims myself. I want to see a pic of those on your car.
    Orlando and Stag also wanted pics of my wheels from the Tire Rack.

Here's a wider shot.

crockone is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

whats dat 18s?

CTS Orlando is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by skepticman
    I think 20" wheels look ridiculous with the skinny tires, and there are so many disadvantages like a harsher ride, more expensive/less durable tires, heavier weight and lowered braking power, I'd never go near them. People who put these things on their cars are masochists and have more money than brains to pay money for the privilege of such torture, all for something cosmetic...
    Much agreed.

RobertCTS, those wheels look damn good. Im not one for chrome, so if I were to get them, it would be the painted. I have my eyes on a couple other wheels too, will probley go a different route.

Enkei GF1: http://www.discounttire.com/dtc/find...bp=&vid=007456
    Enkei CDR9: http://www.discounttire.com/dtc/find...bp=&vid=007456
    Fondmetal Tech 5: http://www.discounttire.com/dtc/find...bp=&vid=007456

Im sorta partial to the Fondmetal at this point. Still waitin to burn a little more rubber off the factory tires, and need to save up a little extra loot first.

[QUOTE=CTS Orlando]Much agreed.

Orlando,
    Of your 3 choices I'd go for the GF1. I didn't like the last of the 3. Yep, chrome may have been a bad choice on this model. Harder than hell to clean. A painted rim would have been much easier to clean. Hey, I made my nest, now I have to live in it

Enkei GF1: http://www.discounttire.com/dtc/find...bp=&vid=007456
    Enkei CDR9: http://www.discounttire.com/dtc/find...bp=&vid=007456
    Fondmetal Tech 5: http://www.discounttire.com/dtc/find...bp=&vid=007456

spork1138 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by pjohnesq
    Enkei Kapone 20" x 8.5 43mm offset and throw some 245/35ZR20 low profile tires on that baby and then you'll be rollin'

See my ride http://www.cardomain.com/id/pjohnesq
    Do they make these rims in an 18?

I realllly like them

Stag is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by RobertCTS
    Orlando and Stag also wanted pics of my wheels from the Tire Rack.

Damn, they look good...nice rims. I like the chrome, it's not like it is a stylisitically heavy wheel that would have too much chrome staring back at you.

Sometimes thechrome can get to be a bit much, but this is perfect.

Stag is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I would go CDR9, GF1 then Fondmetal.

I like the GF1, but seeing as my car is moonstone, I don't know how the grey wheels would look. I like the monochromatic look it would give, but if the grey is too different, it would look bad.

pjohnesq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I think 20" wheels look ridiculous with the skinny tires, and there are so many disadvantages like a harsher ride, more expensive/less durable tires, heavier weight and lowered braking power, I'd never go near them. People who put these things on their cars are masochists and have more money than brains to pay money for the privilege of such torture, all for something cosmetic.

Sorry for the rant. Had to get that off my chest.
    Glad you got it off your chest and no need to apologize for the rant, but I do not think 20" wheels with low profile tires look ridiculous. Of course you are entitled to your own opinion and every one has their own taste, and frankly, I do not think my car with the 20" wheels looks ridiculous. Also, I think calling people "masochists" just because they have 20s on their cars is a bit extreme. You don't have to like it but masochist??? C'mon man! I didn't know that my putting 20" rims on my car was a means of deriving pleasure from being offended or mistreated or subjecting myself to physical pain or abuse. Putting on 20s did all that???? Damn!! And you are right, I do have more money than brains-I only have one brain. It's just a matter of personal taste...that's all..nothing else!

Glad you got it off your chest and no need to apologize for the rant, but I do not think 20" wheels with low profile tires look ridiculous. Of course you are entitled to your own opinion and every one has their own taste, and frankly, I do not think my car with the 20" wheels looks ridiculous. Also, I think calling people "masochists" just because they have 20s on their cars is a bit extreme. You don't have to like it but masochist??? C'mon man! I didn't know that my putting 20" rims on my car was a means of deriving pleasure from being offended or mistreated or subjecting myself to physical pain or abuse. Putting on 20s did all that???? Damn!! And you are right, I do have more money than brains-I only have one brain. It's just a matter of personal taste...that's all..nothing else!
    I'm surprised how some members react. Personally I would never trash another man's ride. At worse I might say that's not for me or I like this better. Sometimes we might pull somebody's chain with "tongue in check humor" but for the most part we know it's in fun. Sometimes we tip the other off with the use of icons The comments on PJ's car was a bit mean IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by spork1138
    Do they make these rims in an 18?

I realllly like them
    They do not come in 18s, but the Zeus, which a similar 5-spoke design, does come in 18s.

skepticman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Black Raven CTS 1SB, Luxury and Sport packages

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=masochist

"3. A willingness or tendency to subject oneself to unpleasant or trying experiences."

I think people like you fit this definition.

Let's look at the disadvantages of 20" rims and tires.

1. 20" rims tend to be more expensive than smaller rims.
    2. 20" tires tend to be more expensive than smaller tires.
    3. Lower profile tires are usually less comfortable because of the shorter sidewall that has less cushioning on rough roads.
    4. Lower profile tires tend to be more easily damaged by potholes.
    5. Lower profile tires are often made of softer rubber in an attempt to make them more comfortable, which means they wear out faster and need to be replaced more often. This disadvantage is compounded by #2.
    6. Many aftermarket wheels are less durable than factory wheels and can bend or crack more easily, particularly with the lower profile tires offering less cushioning.
    7. The larger, heavier wheels slow the car down when accelerating, and also reduce braking power, which is a significant safety concern.

Let's look at the advantages of 20" rims and tires.

1. Some people think they look cool.
    2. They might offer some small handling improvements in aggressive driving.

Now what is any logical thinking person supposed to conclude about someone who is willing to subject themselves to that long (and probably not even complete) list of very significant disadvantages to realize the relatively minor benefits of the much shorter (maybe also incomplete) list of advantages?

I conclude that people like you are one or more of the following:

1. Uneducated or willfully ignorant of the list of disadvantages.
    2. So blinded by your quest to make your car look cool, that you ignore the list of disadvantages or figure out some way to rationalize them away.
    3. Unable to resist peer pressure when seeing others with large rims.
    4. Entering into some kind of juvenile "keeping up with the Joneses" type of competition to prove you're better or wealthier than other people.
    5. Irresponsible in spending so much money for something that is mostly cosmetic.
    6. And, as quoted above, someone with a "willingness or tendency to subject oneself to unpleasant or trying experiences."

I must admit that I might be guilty of #3 as well for spending money for the polished 17' wheels. And I would have to accept some of the above disadvantages to a smaller degree if I were to upgrade to the 18" Vauss wheels. But I draw the line at 18" rims for cosmetics as well as cost, comfort and reliability reasons.

I am only here to urge readers of this forum to seriously think about the consequences of large rims. It is too late in your case, so my arguments are not aimed at you unless you are ready to give them up and go back to smaller rims.

[QUOTE=skepticman]http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=masochist

2. So blinded by your quest to make your car look cool, that you ignore the list of disadvantages or figure out some way to rationalize them away.
    4. Entering into some kind of juvenile "keeping up with the Joneses" type of competition to prove you're better or wealthier than other people.
    5. Irresponsible in spending so much money for something that is mostly cosmetic.

P.J. I hope this dude doesn't see any pictures of my ride . What's the purpose of the Skepticman's points? Ignorant..is that like stupid

D148L0 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

5. Lower profile tires are often made of softer rubber in an attempt to make them more comfortable, which means they wear out faster and need to be replaced more often. This disadvantage is compounded by #2.
    I would like very much to see a link/text backing up this statement, please.
    The purpose for using softer rubber is handling, not comfort.

I am the first one to express my opinion against mega-sized, bad quality rims.
    But I don't like generalizations. You didn't mention any exceptions in your post, like the fact that a 20" first-quality alloy wheel can be lighter than a factory 15".

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=masochist

"3. A willingness or tendency to subject oneself to unpleasant or trying experiences."

I think people like you fit this definition.

Let's look at the disadvantages of 20" rims and tires.

1. 20" rims tend to be more expensive than smaller rims.
    2. 20" tires tend to be more expensive than smaller tires.
    3. Lower profile tires are usually less comfortable because of the shorter sidewall that has less cushioning on rough roads.
    4. Lower profile tires tend to be more easily damaged by potholes.
    6. Many aftermarket wheels are less durable than factory wheels and can bend or crack more easily, particularly with the lower profile tires offering less cushioning.
    7. The larger, heavier wheels slow the car down when accelerating, and also reduce braking power, which is a significant safety concern.

1. Some people think they look cool.
    2. They might offer some small handling improvements in aggressive driving.

Now what is any logical thinking person supposed to conclude about someone who is willing to subject themselves to that long (and probably not even complete) list of very significant disadvantages to realize the relatively minor benefits of the much shorter (maybe also incomplete) list of advantages?

6. And, as quoted above, someone with a "willingness or tendency to subject oneself to unpleasant or trying experiences."

I must admit that I might be guilty of #3 as well for spending money for the polished 17' wheels. And I would have to accept some of the above disadvantages to a smaller degree if I were to upgrade to the 18" Vauss wheels. But I draw the line at 18" rims for cosmetics as well as cost, comfort and reliability reasons.

I am only here to urge readers of this forum to seriously think about the consequences of large rims. It is too late in your case, so my arguments are not aimed at you unless you are ready to give them up and go back to smaller rims.
    First of all, you do NOT know me, so you cannot define me and tell me what definitions I fit....Don't put me in one your little boxes...Regardless of the disadvantages of 20" wheels, my car came like that from the dealer and you know what, I happen to like it, which basically is all that matters.... really!!

Let's go down your list.

1. 20" rims tend to be more expensive than smaller rims. I CAN AFFORD IT!!
    2. 20" tires tend to be more expensive than smaller tires. I CAN AFFORD IT!!
    3. Lower profile tires are usually less comfortable because of the shorter sidewall that has less cushioning on rough roads. I DON'T DRIVE IN ROUGH ROADS!!!
    4. Lower profile tires tend to be more easily damaged by potholes. TRUE, BUT THERE ARE HARDLY POTHOLES ON THE STREETS I DRIVE!!!
    5. Lower profile tires are often made of softer rubber in an attempt to make them more comfortable, which means they wear out faster and need to be replaced more often. This disadvantage is compounded by #2. IF THEY NEED TO BE REPLACED, I REPLACE THEM, I CAN AFFORD IT!!!
    6. Many aftermarket wheels are less durable than factory wheels and can bend or crack more easily, particularly with the lower profile tires offering less cushioning. SEE 5. ABOVE!
    7. The larger, heavier wheels slow the car down when accelerating, and also reduce braking power, which is a significant safety concern. I AM NOT DRIVING A RACING CAR, AND I BET YOU MY CTS WILL KICK YOUR CTS' ASS RIGHT NOW IF WE WERE TO RACE. BUT SINCE I DO NOT RACE, I GUESS THE POINT IS MOOT.. AS FAR AS BRAKING, I HAVE AN UPGRADED BRAKE KIT WITH EXCEPTIONAL BRAKING PERFORMANCE. CROSS DRILLED ROTORS, GAS SLOTTED and HIGH PERFORMANCE CERAMIC PADS.

1. Some people think they look cool. THEY ARE!! YOU ARE WILLING TO GO TO 18, I WANT 20s.
    2. They might offer some small handling improvements in aggressive driving. THEY DO!!

1. Uneducated or willfully ignorant of the list of disadvantages. I AM AN ATTORNEY - I HAVE A LAW DEGREE and A DEGREE IN AEROSPACE TECHNOLOGY. I AM AN FAA RATED AND LICENSED PILOT, ADMITTED TO PRACTICE LAW IN CALIFORNIA AND NEW YORK (LET ME ADD THAT THEY ARE THE TWO MOST DIFFICULT JURISDICTIONS IN THIS COUNTRY)
    2. So blinded by your quest to make your car look cool, that you ignore the list of disadvantages or figure out some way to rationalize them away. I HAVE NO QUEST TO MAKE MY CAR LOOK COOL. THEY ARE MORE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE TO HAVE A QUEST FOR. ALSO, I DO NOT NEED TO RATIONALIZE ANYTHING THAT I WORK HARD FOR AND WANT!
    3. Unable to resist peer pressure when seeing others with large rims. NO PEER PRESSURE..I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!!
    4. Entering into some kind of juvenile "keeping up with the Joneses" type of competition to prove you're better or wealthier than other people. SEE 3. ABOVE
    5. Irresponsible in spending so much money for something that is mostly cosmetic. DON'T WE ALL!! WHY AREN"T YOU DRIVING A YUGO. DOESN'T IT GET YOU FROM POINT A to POINT B JUST LIKE YOUR CTS???
    6. And, as quoted above, someone with a "willingness or tendency to subject oneself to unpleasant or trying experiences." OWNING MY CTS IS A VERY NICE EXPERIENCE AND NOTHING UNPLEASANT ABOUT IT. I DON'T HAVE A CAR NOTE, OR A LEASE TO WORRY ABOUT MILEAGE, SO I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT WITH MY CAR AS LONG AS I'M NOT HURTING OR OFFENDING ANYONE!!

But like I said, you are entitled to your opinion. I like my car the way it is, and I'm sure you like yours the way it it. I don't know that having 20" rims would cause all of this. Hey man, just enjoy your car.

Also, you can urge people to do things without calling other people names and defining people. I am sure the other readers appreciate your input, as do I, but bottom line is, there are many ways of going about this, in amuch more diplomatic fashion I might add and guess what, after all that is said and done, I still like my 20s....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.