Information needed from people that put CTS-V suspension on a CTS 3.6L - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Information needed from people that put CTS-V suspension on a CTS 3.6L in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by AAIIIC I'm running about -2.2 up front and a little more in the rear with no adverse ...
    Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC
    I'm running about -2.2 up front and a little more in the rear with no adverse tire wear issues. -1 is about the minimum I would want if I had any intention of driving a car aggressively. Improper toe settings are much more likely to cause uneven tire wear.
    With 2.2 negative camber all around there will eventually be inside tire wear. And you are definitely getting adverse handling. Full blown track cars use those kinds of numbers. Your car must track a lot on uneven roads.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBoren
    Has anyone on here swapped in the A-arms and brakes (and thusly rims, etc) from the CTS-V into the V6 CTS? The CTS-Jr is lighter so the Vee-car parts would be bigger and stronger direct-fit upgrades. Would you have to swap differentials to use the CTS-V rear hubs/brakes? Do those hubs only mate to the Vee axles? And those, in turn, only mate to a Vee-car pumpkin? I guess replacing the CTS-Jr diff with the Vee 3.73 G80 would be nice because you get the lower gears. The only other way to get lower gears is to go to the euro spec differential. And it doesnt matter if you are going for a V6 euro spec (3.93, I believe) diff or a Vee pumpkin, its a $1000 either way. I do not have money to do it all at once, but since I am upgrading to Vee-car sways/springs/FE4's, I might as well keep it going and replace the hubs/control-arms/brakes with the beefier CTS-V equipment. Can anyone tell me exactly what would be needed? Sorry, I dont mean to hijack this thread.
    It would be a waste of time. You aren't getting anything out of doing all that. It may be beefier stuff but the CTS doesn't have the power to warrant the bigger parts. Save that money and buy an actual big brake kit. The braking will be better than the V for a lot less money.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: Information needed from people that put CTS-V suspension on a CTS 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post
    Has anyone on here swapped in the A-arms and brakes (and thusly rims, etc) from the CTS-V into the V6 CTS? The CTS-Jr is lighter so the Vee-car parts would be bigger and stronger direct-fit upgrades.
    The V's control arms front and rear are exactly the same as the V6. So are the knuckles.

Would you have to swap differentials to use the CTS-V rear hubs/brakes?
    No.

Do those hubs only mate to the Vee axles?
    Find the part numbers for the V6 hubs and the part number for the V hubs, then go to the manufacturer websites (Timken, SKF, whoever) and look up the specs. They'll show the spline count and shaft size, which will tell you whether the V hubs would fit on V6 axles.

And it doesnt matter if you are going for a V6 euro spec (3.93, I believe) diff or a Vee pumpkin, its a $1000 either way.
    Unless you're talking about used parts, that price is off by quite a bit. The V diff is somewhere around $1700, as I recall. (I replaced mine out of warranty a few years back.)

Quote Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
    With 2.2 negative camber all around there will eventually be inside tire wear.
    I've been running with that much negative camber (or even more) on all 3 of my cars for years. The only uneven tire wear issues I've had were due to toe being out of alignment. If toe is set properly, you have to run a LOT of negative camber to cause uneven tire wear. That's assuming your driving is mixed; if you're almost exclusively doing highway driving, with very little opportunity to take corners that load up the suspension and generate some body roll, then less negative camber would be prudent.

And you are definitely getting adverse handling.
    I'd love to see your logic on that one. I'm running that much negative camber because it improves handling. The only way negative camber would adversely affect handling is under braking, and then we're talking about 5 or 6 deg (or more) of camber.

Full blown track cars use those kinds of numbers.
    Full blown track cars run a heckuva lot more than -2.2deg, like 2 or 3 times that much.

Your car must track a lot on uneven roads.
    Nope.

coolcat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

The car sits just about right, maybe slightly low in the front but definitely not slammed.

The distances from the center of the wheel to the bottom edge of the fender are as follows: rear 13 1/2" and front 13 3/4".

The alignment was as follows:
    front left -1.7 camber, 5.5 caster, .10 toe, front right -1.9 camber, 5.9 caster, .09 toe
    rear left -2.1 camber, .24 toe, rear right -2.1 camber, .40 toe

The alignment guy is very reputable and he said that it was the best he could get out of the car. Should I be concerned, most of my driving is highway and I don't track the car.

----------

Correction
    The distances from the center of the wheel to the bottom edge of the fender are as follows: rear 13 3/4" and front 13 1/2".

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

AAIIIC, thank you for answering a lot of my questions. Oh, and I do not know how it happened, but the last three quotes in your post are not from me. I dont know how that got mixed up, but I did not say those things. Regardless, thanks again for the info.

On a separate note, those 13.5"/13.75" (f/r) measurements are for the V6 with the Vee springs, right? How much lower, if any, is it? Whats the distance with the stock springs? I suppose I could go outside and measure, but my diamond store is lacking in the tools and tape measure department.

Iceman_jd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 3.6 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
    The car sits just about right, maybe slightly low in the front but definitely not slammed.

The distances from the center of the wheel to the bottom edge of the fender are as follows: rear 13 1/2" and front 13 3/4".

The alignment was as follows:
    front left -1.7 camber, 5.5 caster, .10 toe, front right -1.9 camber, 5.9 caster, .09 toe
    rear left -2.1 camber, .24 toe, rear right -2.1 camber, .40 toe

The alignment guy is very reputable and he said that it was the best he could get out of the car. Should I be concerned, most of my driving is highway and I don't track the car.

----------

Correction
    The distances from the center of the wheel to the bottom edge of the fender are as follows: rear 13 3/4" and front 13 1/2".
    Your height is within 3/8" lower all around than where mine is set. The funny thing is your camber #s look just like my numbers before I aligned it. I keep thinking there's got to be more adjustment there, doesn't make sense.

coolcat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Just curious, what lowering spring did you go with? As for my camber situation, the only thing I can think of is that my car is an 04 and maybe the factory realized that there was an issue an modified the slot by your year. Do you think there's anything to be concerned about? It'll probably just lead to increased inner tire wear won't it?

----------

The 13.5"/13.75" (f/r) measurement was with Hotchkis lowering springs not with V springs.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

AAIIIC, thank you for answering a lot of my questions. Oh, and I do not know how it happened, but the last three quotes in your post are not from me. I dont know how that got mixed up, but I did not say those things. Regardless, thanks again for the info.
    Cut and paste error on my part, now fixed.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Iceman_jd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 3.6 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
    Just curious, what lowering spring did you go with? As for my camber situation, the only thing I can think of is that my car is an 04 and maybe the factory realized that there was an issue an modified the slot by your year. Do you think there's anything to be concerned about? It'll probably just lead to increased inner tire wear won't it?

----------

The 13.5"/13.75" (f/r) measurement was with Hotchkis lowering springs not with V springs.
    I went with the KW Variant 3 springs and shocks. You have to use the J-45845 tool in order to get enough force to move the suspension. If your alignment guy didn't have one it will be hard to get everything locked in before tightening the bolts.
    I don't know about the difference in model years.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman_jd View Post
    I went with the KW Variant 3 springs and shocks. You have to use the J-45845 tool in order to get enough force to move the suspension. If your alignment guy didn't have one it will be hard to get everything locked in before tightening the bolts.
    I don't know about the difference in model years.
    Another KW3 user! Coilovers are uncommon and KW users even moreso.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.