How is your car doing on the snow and ice?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, How is your car doing on the snow and ice? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I was a little worried about buying a rear wheel drive car in a state known for the best snow ...
    autumnjune is offline Cadillac Owners Member

How is your car doing on the snow and ice?

I was a little worried about buying a rear wheel drive car in a state known for the best snow on earth. How is everyone doing in the snow?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jon
    Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

Re: How is your car doing on the snow and ice?

Having lots of fun lol. You haven't seen my pics and videos, have you?

Mbai2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS DI 6 Speed Manual Black/Black w/ FE3 Fully Loaded

It's fine as long as there is under an inch of snow, totally flat, and you don't stop. Keep in mind that I have a manual trans. An automatic might deal with snow better.

I was just up in the upper penninsula of Michigan this past week and I was tail sliding all over the place. I also got stuck once in the driveway of the place I was staying at but manage to get out after some rocking.

Jon, I havnt seen any pics or videos. I just joined yesterday. Mbai, that is what im afraid of, im already a bad winter driver! It has been snowing for the past two days here, and I have made my husband drive me to work. I am a wuss!!!

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

I'm ashamed to say that I haven't even put the winter tires on the car. This winter I'm driving my truck on nasty days and the CTS on clear, dry days. Six liters with a Wester's tune, AWD, and AWS makes for excellent traction on snowy roads.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mbai2
    It's fine as long as there is under an inch of snow, totally flat, and you don't stop. Keep in mind that I have a manual trans. An automatic might deal with snow better.

I was just up in the upper penninsula of Michigan this past week and I was tail sliding all over the place. I also got stuck once in the driveway of the place I was staying at but manage to get out after some rocking.
    I've always had much better luck with manual trans cars on the snow, especially THESE types of cars. The biggest problem is the tires. Swap them out for winter treads and you "should" be able to do just fine.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

I have driven my wife's '04 CTS with 3.6L and auto about 2000 miles through snow deep enough to come over the hood, glare ice, black ice, packed snow in the rain, slush, and in temps down to -35F. using the tires that came with it with no problems. This is on essentially two-lane mountain roads here in Alaska. The only thing that stopped me was an avalanch near Cantwell that buried the Parks Highway under 16 feet of snow. I have been driving since 1952 and the CTS is the best road car under all conditions that I have ever driven. My last car was an '01 Buick Regal GS. I wouldn't walk across the street for another front wheel drive car. I don't like the torque steer, the wheel snatch, and the understeer plow. To me driving a front wheel drive car in snow is like pushing a cast iron cookstove down the side walk.

Well I do have to drive in the snow today, but some of your comments have made me feel a little better. Ill let you know how I did. If you dont hear back from me I guess you will know...lol....

Dirkster is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have driven mine thru ice and this morning thru 10" of fresh snow. I am using the original tires yet. I would say it goes pretty good. When taking off you can't help but spinning, but its a kind of controlled spin. This does not sit well with the traction control. I could smell brakes burning. I decided I'm turning off the traction control any time its slippery out. i think my brakes will last longer and I don't see any improvement in getting going with traction control.

Dkozloski has it right about wrong wheel drive cars (front wheel drive). I like rear wheel drive much better.

While I haven't been driving as long as him I learned to drive before wrong wheel drive, before the popularity of 4 wheel drives, before all wheel drives and before "all season" tires. I think the only advantage of "all season" tires is it makes people feel confortable driving in snow with tires that are less than optiminal traction.

Get a good set of snow tires and toss about 100-200 pounds in the trunk and thou shall not fear the winter.

As for me I'll get by this winter with the original tires. Next winter I'll get a extra set of rims, some good snows and I'll be good. Reminds me of the good ole' days

Mbai2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS DI 6 Speed Manual Black/Black w/ FE3 Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Dirkster
    I have driven mine thru ice and this morning thru 10" of fresh snow. I am using the original tires yet. I would say it goes pretty good. When taking off you can't help but spinning, but its a kind of controlled spin. This does not sit well with the traction control. I could smell brakes burning. I decided I'm turning off the traction control any time its slippery out. i think my brakes will last longer and I don't see any improvement in getting going with traction control.

Get a good set of snow tires and toss about 100-200 pounds in the trunk and thou shall not fear the winter.
    I have managed to get around in moderate snow. You are right that you can't help wheel spin at launch in some situations although having a manual makes it easier to control torque. I also turn off traction control in low speed (under 5mph) slippery situations because it makes it a little easier to launch the vehicle.

Throwing some extra weight in the trunk also helps. I've found that a couple bodies in the trunk is perfect. After all, it is a Caddy...isn't that what the trunk is for? Seriously though, a few bags of sand, loose pebbles, or kitty litter (don't laugh) is good for the weight. It's job is two fold - to provide extra weight and in case you really are stuck, you can open up the bags and pour it around the drive wheels to help get a little more traction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbai2
    Throwing some extra weight in the trunk also helps. I've found that a couple bodies in the trunk is perfect. After all, it is a Caddy...isn't that what the trunk is for? .
    LMAO,
    Thanks for the info, I am going to buy some snow tires with my next check. I drove yesterday in the snow with my all season and they did fine, but like I said earlier I am a wuss and it would just make me "feel" safer with snow tires. I was going to go buy some sand bags, but I think Ill go with the kitty litter now!

RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside

Has anybody noticed how snow tire design has changed? The old lugged knobby tires have been replaced by designs that look more like coventional tires. They recommend the tires at all four corners. That's what I did. Performance is better than stock but less than what I expected. Would I do it over? Probably. I also took the opportunity to upgrade to 18" rims.

crockone is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

fish tail all day!

BlueMalibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6 Sport, 6-Speed

Well,

I am a believer in snow tires but for various reasons I am stuck with the all seasons.

We have had a couple of 6" snows and the car is doing well. I have an '04 Stick (3.2L).

With 200 Lbs of Sand bags in the trunk it is bearable. I always turn traction control AND stabilitrak OFF in the snow. It is annoying and ultimately slows you down. It does stop you from fishtailing excessively (sheesh, what fun is that?) but with good throttle control you do better without it, IMO.

ads37 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I added 160 pounds to the trunk. Handles much better now. Just drove thirty miles on snow covered highways. Had no problems. In fact I think my 03 cts handled pretty good. I kept my traction control on and kept it in snow mode except for when I got on my local street. I have to go up a hill and the TC was slowing me down. Just a note, my street was real crappy, most cars were having problems getting up it. I definitely recommend weight in the trunk, it makes quite a diferrence.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.