Message for Jon
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Message for Jon in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Didn't want create a thread like this, but I am unable to privatly message you. If a mod wants to ...
    a_user is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Message for Jon

Didn't want create a thread like this, but I am unable to privatly message you. If a mod wants to remove this thread and send this message privaelty please do so.

Did I read in a thread somewhere a little while back you did end up purchasing some winter tires for your CTS? I know you were gonna try and run with the winter mode and stock rubber. If so, did you buy another set of rims or just install the new rubber on the oem wheels? And what tires did you end up with?

I have been trying to price out options for snow tires on my sport luxury package. They do not make steel wheels that will fit the CTS, a very old deville or seville steel wheel will work but you never see them, the only steel wheel that will fit is a later model camero I believe it was, with a price of 220 bucks a piece! *gasp* Called four wreckers and none have any cts wheels 16" or 17" for that matter.

A set of alloys will run like 160+ a piece, then add about that again for a good set of winter tires each. I was thinking of just adding some good all seasons on my current 17" wheels but people suggest against it. I will not be adding and removing tires off my wheels each season. I am trying to weight the pros to spending nearly 1600 or more canadian just for winter driving....in which we really only get a few snow falls which effects drivablility per winter anyways (london, ontario). Almost makes me miss my 01 explorer spot 4x4

What did you do? Thanks...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTS Orlando is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: Message for Jon

I know it wont help this season, but im looking to replace my factory 16s in a couple months. The factory 16s dont seem to be very marketable, but I know a lot of northern CTS owners would like to have an extra set for the winter. I definatly want to get rid of my 16s when I upgrade, and I imagine they would be perfect for you northern guys. I've also seen the factory 16s on eBay for pretty cheap, you might want to look there. Anyways, as I said it wont help this season, but maybe I can get one you guys to buy my 16s for next winter.

Jon
    Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

Hi there,

Actually, I'm still sticking with my plan of sticking with my stockers. So far it's holding up fine, even without winter mode. Luckily, during the 30cm snow storm I was home for the holidays and drove our Windstars instead. I'm pretty sure that there are steelies out there that will fit the CTS, since I know of 2 members from another board who are running winter tires on steel rims. Also, ebay has 16" rims for pretty cheap, the only problem is, since we're in Canada, shipping is gonna cost a lot One option you might want to look at are Goodyear Tripletreds, which are all season tires, but have 3 tread patters, for ice, wet, and dry, all on one tire. One of our Windstars is currently rolling on these all year long, and when I drove it through the snow, it seemed to be pretty good. However, it is FWD so I'm not sure how it will do on the CTS. I plan to stay with the stockers through this winter, and if it's real bad, I might get snow tires next season. But like I said, it's been fine so far. The only time when I had difficulty was when we got really wet snow and the streets werent plowed here in Waterloo. Let me know how things work out for you.

- Jon

Stag is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

OK, here is what I did...Tire rack had base alloys for $105 per, i had them mount Dunlop Sport M3 snows on them. total cost came to $900. That was a fair bit of change but I figured two things... 1) I would use the wheels over a series of winters, thereby spreading the cost out. And 2) the price to pay if I stayed on the stockers and slid into a tree or another car would be more then the $900 in the long run.

After I bought the set up, I found out from a mechanic friend of mine that the steel wheels from the impala/grand prix/monte carlo will work on the CTS. Even though they are FWD cars, the bolt spacing and offset are exactly the same for the 16" wheels. I have not verified this, but I trust this guy and he works at a GM dealership, so he must know something. If I would have known, this is the route I would have gone instead of getting alloys.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Jon good luck with sticking out the winter, I may just end up doing the same. Here in london, almost all decent winter tires AND most low cost alloy rims have already been bought up, atleast anything that will match up with our bolt patterns and clearence for the brakes. Its absolutly ridiculous. One little(okay, rather large) snow fall and everybody and their brother runs out and buys snow tires. On the cts you NEED a better set of tires then the stocks in my opinion if they have any amount of milage on them as they seem to lose their grip during wear rather quickly. Unfortunatly I dont have another vehicle to fall back on, this is my only nor do I have the luxury of staying put when things start to get uncomfortable on the roads.

CTS Orlando, I am sure you would not have a problem selling those tires to a Northen based cts owner. I have considered Ebay but shipping would just throw the cost vs. value out the window.

STAG, I also trust the individual whom supplied you with the information about the impala and others is correct. I was speaking with my local cadillac dealer this morning and we were looking through that, I will clarify that those wheels should fit when I take my car in this afternoon for a diagnostic check. One of the tires he found that would definantly fit with the centre hub spacer installed was a later model camero in 16", however the canadian price tag on those, even as a steel wheel was over 200 bucks!! For that I can get a nice set of alloy's. Also belive it or not, it is extremely hard to find any steel wheels almost anywhere that are reasonably priced, most tire shops cant locate them through any of their dealers here in ontatio. Everything seems to have sold like hot cakes here - this is a first in like over five winters, winter tire stock is near exitent.

My options are I can go with a set of blizzaks on my current 17" wheels which are about 220 a tire. Or I also priced out going with some rims in a 16" some primax 618's or something (not a bad looking rim) or american racing atrella's and matching those with a set of michellin x-ice or something similiar. for a total of about 1500canadian. Or I could just cross my fingers and hope it dosent snow enough anymore this year and stick with my current setup and be in a better position with more options next year. I have driven rear-wheel drive cars before but this has definantly been the most arogant of them all - atleast with these rs-a's.

Jon
    Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

Damn man, that's crazy. I had no idea the demand for snow tires were this high... I don't have a second vehicle to drive either while I'm in Waterloo for school. This week I'm actually driving a Windstar, because the house was vacant over the break, so I figured the driveway would be piled with snow...... Good thing I didnt bring the CTS, it woulda been ugly. But I'll have it back here next week, and hopefully the roads don't get too bad. And $200+ for a steel rim is ridiculous!!! Funny thing is, Goodyear's website rates the CTS's tire pretty good in snow... Weird.

I know that is funny...their winter rating for this tire is a 8...just about fell out of my chair laughing at that, especially if you take a couple minutes and read the reviews of this tire from people at tirerack or 1010tires many they rate them as the worst tire they have driven on. hehe

The tires are not bad in the dry (but again what tires arent) I think caddy put these tires on because they look good, more so than actual performance. And maybe the snow traction is adequate...if the tire is NEW - but they wear so quickly the average person wouldnt get much of a chance to really appreciate it.

As for prices i just about shit myself, steel wheels are suppose to be INexpensive. All in all - it is a luxury car after all, and bmw drivers have been dealing with it for years. I guess theoretically if you can afford a caddy you can afford the neccesities, however there are many other things I could do better spending 1500 bucks on.

'A USER' try tire rack for your steel rims ... they do have a huge selection of those too. Just don;t look up CTS, in fact just call 'em, tell them what you are looking for. They should be able to help out. I bet the steels will be less then $50 per wheel.

UPDATE: Just checked Tire Rack.com, 4 steel rims 16 x 6.5 are $192.

Stag,

Thanks for the reply. I called tirerack after reading your post, to determine how costly it would be to have wheels shipped here to canada since those steel wheel prices is a good deal. By the time you add in currency conversation, duty, taxes, shipping costs the price ends up being more then a set of alloys can be purchased for here in canada. If they installed the tires and sent the whole package your still required to pay taxes and duty on both tires and rim's so the cost associated makes it a less feasible option.

Jesus...it is a no win situation for you. It may be cheaper to buy a 'beater' for the winter then put snows on your CTS. That is unbelievable!!

Well, if I think of anything...wait - there is always the ...ahem...five finger discount method. Just buy a HUGE sweater and stuff 'em underneath and RUN!!!!!

Although I don't endorse this type of behavior.

lol

Thanks for the idea

Actually I took the plunge yesterday morning and ordered a new set of tires and rims. Least I will have them for a couple seasons. And wouldnt you know it, the temp is suppose to jump to +5 - +10 next week with rain...go figure.

Thanks again for the help/suggestions guys...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.