Cadillac Owners Forum banner

How many miles do you have on your CTS?

50K views 171 replies 118 participants last post by  silverfox103 
#1 ·
How many miles do you have on your CTS? Ever had major engine/transmission problems?

#3 ·
192,000 miles on my 2003.
There a quite a few here with a lot more miles on their 3.2L CTS's. Gives me hope about these cars.

I've had basic maintenence done at 100,000: timing belt, plugs, replace water pump.....
Only engine issue, a blown coil on #5 cylinder.
Only other powertrain issues, replaced the clutch, PP, throw out bearing and flywheel at 117,000 miles and replaced guibos with CS units at 165,000 miles.

My Caddy still runs great. No oil usage between oil changes. It is holding up very well.

#5 ·
98,000 miles and no real mechanical problems. Just did preventive maintenance at 97k (serpentine/timing belts, sparks, and water pump) and everything's been good otherwise.

Oh yeah, except I recently discovered a leak that's soaked the carpets *from the bottom up* throughout the car. Top of the carpet was dry (beginning to get a little...humid/moist) but the foam spongy material underneath was totally soaked. It was a literal sponge that is saturated with water.

It's day 5 since finding this issue and my mechanic can't figure it out, at all. Taking it to a dealer hopefully this week...

OTHERWISE, until now, the CTS has been relatively flawless. At least this isn't anything mechanical...

#6 ·
'07 with 71K, I have put about 35K on it myself in the last 3 years. A clunking noise when I shift was finally blamed on the drive shaft, so I had that replaced under warranty. Now she's finally burning oil like the rest of the LP1 and LY7 engines. I'm a little bummed about that. Other than the oil burning, I would say I'm in good shape.

#12 ·
190k on 2006 2.8L. No major issues other than new radiator, timing chain (mine didn't fail, replaced while was in there for leaking timing cover gasket), 2 wheel bearings, differential bushing, front sway bar bushings, 1 outer tie rod. Original transmission and shocks. Plan to keep another few years.

#31 ·
i would like you to issue a recall for the transmission cooler lines for all 2003-2007 cts automatic transmission models.
extremely dangerous condition could arise (and has a uncountable amount of times) where the transmission line blows off the radiator/transmission fluid cooler leaving the accelerator inoperable due to no transmission pressure. also dumping transmission fluid onto the road and tires of the vehicles causing environmental and safety hazards. this condition can cause reduced traction an reduced braking.
(feel free to use my wording in the recall............)

anyone else ready to not hear a reply?

sorry Sarah, dont take it personally, i know you didnt design the vehicle (maybe you did..i dont know)
i love my CTS but due to neglect from Cadillac i dont know if i will buy GM again (this is my 3rd.) this issue should have been recalled years ago, i feel strongly that this is the #1 issue with the CTS.

------

aside from that... ive broken the 200km mark.. with the help of my toolbox.

#14 ·
27k on my 06 2.8 6 speed. No issues yet. Still under extended warranty. Picked it up a year and a half ago with 15k on it. An older man had it and kept it in the garage except for the weekend. Got lucky to find this one. Gonna keep it for a few more years and sell it once its around 65k miles. That way I can still get a decent buck for it. Then on to either a 2nd gen, Acura TL sh-awd manual, Mercedes c300 manual, 5 series BMW manual, or Subaru legacy 2.5gt manual. I can't drive automatics. I love manual trans

#16 ·
'04 3.6L auto

Bought with 48k miles in 4/09, just hit 70k miles last week. Has always burned a quart or two of Mobil1 between oil changes. I screwed up Christmas 2010 and drove it 1,000 miles to FL, arriving with no oil visible on the stick. Dry. No immediate, catastrophic damage occurred. I try to drive it only for local weekend errands these days, but had to drive 700 miles last week (2/17/13) for work. Got stuck in traffic on the return trip, and had about 3 inches of coolant (as measured cold in the overflow tank) blow out. Refilled the next morning. No visible leaks and no further blowouts since.

I am EXTREMELY nervous that I am overdue for timing chain failure and am formulating a strategy to get it done. I do NOT want it to blow out on me on the highway somewhere, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do.

#17 ·
I just hit 90K today. I have a 2004 and I checked with the dealership and they checked the service bulletins, etc and told me that the 2004 model 3.6 is not subject to the timing chain stretch problem
and thus I don't have to worry about it. A timing chain should normally last the life of the vehicle. (Not applicable if you race it.)

#18 ·
Thank you for your comment. We have the same engine, so I'm not so much concerned about stretch as I am just general wear. I'm sure you remember a time a couple years ago when numerous members were having their chains blow out on the highway once they reached about 65k miles. If you recall it differently, then that's great news and I won't be so worried about that particular failure.

#19 ·
I bought my 2005 3.6 CTS last July with 102K on it. Since then I have put 11,000 miles on it, changed the oil three times, put in a Volant CAI, and I have a host of RX parts (VMAX, catch can, breather cap) that I have yet to install. I do keep an extra quart of oil in the trunk (always have, even before I was dealing with the LY7), and I check my oil every other time I fill up the car, or any time I get too bored at work... no concerning oil consumption issues. I do have the annoying driveline creaks and moans, and I know my diff-bushing is shot. I am going to have Creative Steel rebuild my driveline this spring, as well as install a new RevShift-reinforced tranny mount. I am overdue for a timing chain and water pump replacement, just dont have the pennies right now. According to the DIC, my average speed around Portland has been 35mph, and at such, I average 20mpg... it really peeves me that I spend most of my time behind the wheel of this beautiful beast landlocked in traffic behind law-abiding citizens. On the open road, with my cruise control set at 80mph to keep me from getting speeding tickets, I average over 26mpg pretty easy, and that was before the Volant... I havent gotten a chance to do any real highway traveling since I installed the CAI.

#24 ·
2003 with 220,000 miles and very limited issues. I bought it in Jan 2005 with around 30,000 miles on it.

I am still on the original clutch, and yes, it is a five speed and I have the speeding tickets to prove that I do NOT baby it....:thumbsup:

For the first time in a long time, I have faith in an American made car!

The biggest complaint I have is the cover over the back-up light on the trunk came off unbeknownst to me. It costs a fortune to replace this. I have noticed quite a few like this which tends to make me think that this is a weakness in these models.

#25 ·
2006 3.6L with 135,000 miles on it with some problems like the common oil burning between oil changes,about 2 qts, and the windshield wiper motor went wacky on me. It shoots out water every time you use the wiper on any speed. Had the normal maintanence done- rotors,brakes,plugs,fuel injection,fluid swap,etc. Overall best car I've ever owned!!

#27 ·
I do not think that the petty oil consumption of the LY7 is any reason to replace the car after 100,000 miles. You can fix that oil issue with a call to RX Performance for cheaper than you can even have a Cadi-tech tell you where the timing chain is. Plus, it costs $60 to fill the tank anyways, so whats another $7 for a quart of Mobile1 every third fuel stop? If anything its probably best these things have a known oil consumption issue... it keeps the owner/operator on top of maintenance. Its a nice car, take care of it. Give it oil when it needs it, and it will give you decades of good service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.