How many miles do you have on your CTS? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, How many miles do you have on your CTS? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; '04 3.6L auto Bought with 48k miles in 4/09, just hit 70k miles last week. Has always burned a quart ...
    EasternPA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS

Re: How many miles do you have on your CTS?

'04 3.6L auto

Bought with 48k miles in 4/09, just hit 70k miles last week. Has always burned a quart or two of Mobil1 between oil changes. I screwed up Christmas 2010 and drove it 1,000 miles to FL, arriving with no oil visible on the stick. Dry. No immediate, catastrophic damage occurred. I try to drive it only for local weekend errands these days, but had to drive 700 miles last week (2/17/13) for work. Got stuck in traffic on the return trip, and had about 3 inches of coolant (as measured cold in the overflow tank) blow out. Refilled the next morning. No visible leaks and no further blowouts since.

I am EXTREMELY nervous that I am overdue for timing chain failure and am formulating a strategy to get it done. I do NOT want it to blow out on me on the highway somewhere, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do.

cmjohnson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS luxury package

I just hit 90K today. I have a 2004 and I checked with the dealership and they checked the service bulletins, etc and told me that the 2004 model 3.6 is not subject to the timing chain stretch problem
    and thus I don't have to worry about it. A timing chain should normally last the life of the vehicle. (Not applicable if you race it.)

EasternPA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS

Thank you for your comment. We have the same engine, so I'm not so much concerned about stretch as I am just general wear. I'm sure you remember a time a couple years ago when numerous members were having their chains blow out on the highway once they reached about 65k miles. If you recall it differently, then that's great news and I won't be so worried about that particular failure.

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

I bought my 2005 3.6 CTS last July with 102K on it. Since then I have put 11,000 miles on it, changed the oil three times, put in a Volant CAI, and I have a host of RX parts (VMAX, catch can, breather cap) that I have yet to install. I do keep an extra quart of oil in the trunk (always have, even before I was dealing with the LY7), and I check my oil every other time I fill up the car, or any time I get too bored at work... no concerning oil consumption issues. I do have the annoying driveline creaks and moans, and I know my diff-bushing is shot. I am going to have Creative Steel rebuild my driveline this spring, as well as install a new RevShift-reinforced tranny mount. I am overdue for a timing chain and water pump replacement, just dont have the pennies right now. According to the DIC, my average speed around Portland has been 35mph, and at such, I average 20mpg... it really peeves me that I spend most of my time behind the wheel of this beautiful beast landlocked in traffic behind law-abiding citizens. On the open road, with my cruise control set at 80mph to keep me from getting speeding tickets, I average over 26mpg pretty easy, and that was before the Volant... I havent gotten a chance to do any real highway traveling since I installed the CAI.

fcarr1958 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts

185k. 2003 Car. It was purchsed and driven in Southern California first 6 years, then driven around NYC for 2 years ( worst streets I've ever seen ) before returning back here to Southern California ( potholes almost as big as NYC! ). 3.2 has been unbelivable!
    salcuta88 likes this.

bronsonllh is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '03 CTS White Diamond

2003 256,000 miles, runs and looks great!

CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
    Quote Originally Posted by bronsonllh
    I salute you.

Longsnapper52 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS Thunder Gray

Quote Originally Posted by cmjohnson View Post
    I just hit 90K today. I have a 2004 and I checked with the dealership and they checked the service bulletins, etc and told me that the 2004 model 3.6 is not subject to the timing chain stretch problem
    and thus I don't have to worry about it. A timing chain should normally last the life of the vehicle. (Not applicable if you race it.)
    There are plenty of 04-07 with busted chains on here, seems like one thread a day about it. You might not be subject according to a Cadillac TSB, but that just probably means the 04s haven't exceeded a certain failure rate.
    Argent1 and Argent1 like this.

MLFox is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

2003 with 220,000 miles and very limited issues. I bought it in Jan 2005 with around 30,000 miles on it.

I am still on the original clutch, and yes, it is a five speed and I have the speeding tickets to prove that I do NOT baby it....

For the first time in a long time, I have faith in an American made car!

The biggest complaint I have is the cover over the back-up light on the trunk came off unbeknownst to me. It costs a fortune to replace this. I have noticed quite a few like this which tends to make me think that this is a weakness in these models.
    salcuta88, salcuta88 and Ikera like this.

iceburg24k is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 3.6L

2006 3.6L with 135,000 miles on it with some problems like the common oil burning between oil changes,about 2 qts, and the windshield wiper motor went wacky on me. It shoots out water every time you use the wiper on any speed. Had the normal maintanence done- rotors,brakes,plugs,fuel injection,fluid swap,etc. Overall best car I've ever owned!!

Gahd i hate the oil burning. I swear it's a conspiracy to make you buy a new car after 70-100k.

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Longsnapper52 View Post
    Gahd i hate the oil burning. I swear it's a conspiracy to make you buy a new car after 70-100k.
    I do not think that the petty oil consumption of the LY7 is any reason to replace the car after 100,000 miles. You can fix that oil issue with a call to RX Performance for cheaper than you can even have a Cadi-tech tell you where the timing chain is. Plus, it costs $60 to fill the tank anyways, so whats another $7 for a quart of Mobile1 every third fuel stop? If anything its probably best these things have a known oil consumption issue... it keeps the owner/operator on top of maintenance. Its a nice car, take care of it. Give it oil when it needs it, and it will give you decades of good service.

Rc102782 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

just bought a 2003 with 248000 on it. Runs great. I did a carfax and ALL maintenance was done at a Caddy dealership. Even when the cabin air filter was changed like 10k miles ago.
    salcuta88, salcuta88 and Ikera like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post
    I do not think that the petty oil consumption of the LY7 is any reason to replace the car after 100,000 miles.
    so whats another $7 for a quart of Mobile1 every third fuel stop?
    You understand this and I understand this. We are both on top of it and I agree....

it keeps the owner/operator on top of maintenance
    Here's where we get into trouble....Not everybody is like us. 90% of the CTS car buying audience aren't going to stay on top of their oil levels every third or fourth fuel stop. They are going to keep driving as normal and head to the Jiffy Lube when the OLM gets near zero. Then one day around 70K, when the car is safely out of warranty their engine is going to start rattling. They will take it to the dealership to get it checked out. "WHOOPS, you have a stretched chain and worn tensioners. That will be $3,000, sir. We'll see you in a week."

That is point I'm trying to make. Most people don't like to do extra maintenance. So most people will get a new car. Maybe by design? Who really knows.

salcuta88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by bronsonllh View Post
    Your car gives me hope

----------

Thanks a lot guys! Your answers give me hope. I sure plan on keeping my CTS for a long time. I got the oil consumption thing going on too. Not biggie...just add some when it runs low.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.