Engine power reduced help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Engine power reduced help in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So I am driving down the street going bout 45 or so and my car dic displayed the message engine ...
    Hozay is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Engine power reduced help

So I am driving down the street going bout 45 or so and my car dic displayed the message engine power reduced or something like that ..anyways the car i have is a cts 2003 the lights in side the car blinked and my gas peddle was not working i was giving it gas and the car would not go faster i was able to pull over and turn my emergency lights on so i turned off the car for a bit and turned it back on samething i would give it gas and nothing it would shut off so i did it again and gave it some more gas this time it worked and i was able to get the car back home with out having to tow it back i road with the blinkers on and at the stops and redlights i just put the car in N and kept my foot on the gas a bit ....was looking around and maybe its looking like it could be the throttle body or even and dirty air filter????? my poor car needs some major work its has an oil leak that is leaking all over some oxygen sensors i think...I am waiting on my taxes to get here so i could do what i can for my baby lol anyways any thoughts or tips plz. also i live in socal and wanted to know if t would just be better to take it to the dealer or some random mechanic shop i work at a ford dealership but these guys cant work Cadillacs i am really hoping this is not going to be to $$$$ i have maybe 1300 to spare for repairs i also need breaks lol...plz any help for a nubbie trying to save a few bucks....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Engine power reduced help

well thanks for all the responses lol...i guess i fixed the issue for now at least i got some throttle body cleaner and went to work on that bitch with a tooth brush and some shop rags and replaced the air filter. When I started the car the engine was shaking nasty only for a few seconds then it was smooth and black smoke from the tail pipe came out not much but it did give some out and the smell was not to great hahah.Anyways I got this idea from youtube and it seems to have fixed the problem test drove it for about 7 miles seems like its running smooth tomorrow I feel safe now to drive it to work and get the breaks done anyways i hope i dont ever see the engine power reduced message but i am grateful that these cars show the messages like that on the radio just wish there was and easy way of keeping those functions with an aftermarket stereo installed that would be nice.

Tlorenzen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack
    Hey man glad you got it working. You could also do a throttle body relearn sometime if you feel like it should be a little smoother. Did you get any of the codes it was throwing?

nah bro i didnt just the message it gave out. i dont know how to check codes from the radio its on this site somewhere just cant remember where.how would i go about a reline? i am new to any kinda of mechanics and its funny cuz iam a dispatcher at a dealership lol...

Tlorenzen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/etc.html

I've also been told cycling the key on and off 5 times then starting does something too lol.

J W
    J W is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS /CTS-V / Escalade

Had that happen a few times on my avalanche. Found out it was a common problem but not common enough for a recall. Like to see Daniel Akerson driving 70 miles an hour on the expressway with a semi behind him and get the reduced power warning on his display. lol. Any way i had to replace a wiring harness that goes to the throttle body.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hozay, I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations from yesterday! If you would like me to officially document your feedback or investigate any lingering concerns further, please let me know. I'm available via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

I thought i posted reply's last night but i guess not ....the issues is back now and it makes the car shanke. I love hits car shes bute but the $$$ to fix it is just not in my budget this thing needs some real work. I have an oil leak that is soaking oxygen sensors and some sort of wire that connects to my exhaust pipe? also now i think the throttle body wiring harness needs to be replaced ...I could really use some help this is my only car and I really dont see another way so I gotta eat it for now and try to make the repairs one at a time anyone know of a good tech not charging what the caddi dealership wants???? I work at a ford dealership I wanna try to get some help form them but the tune up department already said they cant work on my car i wanna see if maybe the used car techs can work on the my vehicle I have seen them work on cts before so I wanna talk to them and try my luck there but if that fails if anyone knows of any good places i can trust i dont wanna put this in the hands of pepboys or anything like that someone i could trust or has a good rep for working on caddies i live out the in sfv valley in canoga park ca,91303....any help or info would be cool

4le7z is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I have the same problem with my 03 CTS, cleaned the throttle, replaced it, did the re learn nothing worked. I took it to the dealership they told me my car needs a new transmission and they also told me its not worth it to invest money on my car. Now my car is just parked outside. Hopefully someone has a real fix to this problem!!

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

could be the first sign of a cam/crank sensor going faulty perhaps, could be that the soaked o2 sensor is making it run rough because its no longer working correctly, there are a multitude of possibilities with the CTS being so electrically dependant.
    Start with the basics, its fuel delivery or spark related usually.

when were the spark plugs last changed?
    when was the fuel filter last changed?

Brandon03CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Pressing F1 and F6, holding them down together, will bring up the OBD on the screen, you will then use the tuning knob on the right to cycle throught the codes or simpky press it in to clear all codes. Holding down the back button for 3 seconds will take you out of diagnostics mode. I have a CTS that does the same thing and am trying to find a permanent solution for it but havent yet, see my other posts. Ive got used to travelling down 95 at 80mph, it cutting out with Engine Power Reduced up on the screen, shifting to neutral, shutting off, restarting, and putting it back in drive quickly. I'll then go ahead and clear the codes.

Its a headache and I hope I can find a solution soon!

djkdawg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts 3.6L

I have ran into this issue before and it was easy for me to figure out because i jacked it up myself while working on my car, it was my wiring harness going to the throttle body, i had accidently broke the connector that plugs into the throttle body sensor. Check the wiring harness going to your throttle body, is it damaged, if so replace the harness, if it looks fine and is plugged in tight, have your throttle body sensor checked to see if its damaged and needs to be replaced, it should cause the check engine light to come on and you can pull the codes . Later on tonight when my uncle is done at his auto shop, i will search alldata to see what i can find on this subject, but i can definitely tell you its limited to that harness or that sensor

Brandon03CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I posted this to a response in one of my other posts, but I was determined this weekend to find a fix for this and here is what I found that has helped so far!:

UPDATE: I spent the weekend cleaning every connection I could possibly find and tracing each wire checking for any melting, chafing, or anything. While leaning over the front fuse box I heard a few relays click on and then click off when I let up. I removed the entire fuse box, cleaned the grounding point to the rear and reinstalled nice and snug, much tighter than it was before. Going on day 5 now of this problem being solved!! I haven't had any engine power reduced, check engine lights, or any other codes after clearing them all. My guess is that somehow it either loosened from vibration or that the auto body shop didnt install it quite as tight as they should have after rebuilding the front of the car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.