06 CTS 3.6L Starter Replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By quaver
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 06 CTS 3.6L Starter Replacement in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Just bought my 06 CTS (3.6L) two weeks ago. This past week when I would turn the ignition switch to ...
    quaver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS

06 CTS 3.6L Starter Replacement

Just bought my 06 CTS (3.6L) two weeks ago. This past week when I would turn the ignition switch to the start position I would hear a solid "thud" but the starter motor would not energize. Cycling the key switch a few times would finally give a good start. I checked battery terminal voltage while the starter was engaged noting that it never dropped below 10.5 volts indicating the battery was not the problem. The battery is also only a few months old and fully charged. I checked the electrical connections at the battery and the starter; both were in good shape. I next swapped the starter relay with another relay in the power distribution box finding I still had the engagement problem. Having completed these steps it was now clear the most likely cause for the problem was the starter solenoid. The solenoid acts as a large electrical switch that electrically connects the battery cable to the starter motor power terminal. Inrush current for an engine starter can easily exceed 600 amps with steady state current usually around 120 amps. This high inrush current causes heavy arcing causing the solenoid contacts to erode over time. Once the surfaces of the contacts become heavily eroded they can no longer consistently complete the electrical circuit that supplies power to the starter motor.

I found very little information online or the forums regarding steps for changing the starter. I live in a descent size city with multiple store locations for each of the big name auto parts suppliers; no one had the starter in stock. Local dealer did not have it in stock either. I am guessing this means the starters are usually pretty healthy and hold up well. Given that I could not find a step by step DIY instruction for this task I decided to post one myself. Hope someone finds it helpful.

As this job must be done from the bottom side the first step is to lift the front end. I used a floor jack to raise each side and then placed ramps under each wheel. This raised each wheel around 12" and provided plenty of room for the work. Here is a shot of the car on the ramps.

IMG_0031.JPG

Lighting is pretty important for this task. If you have a cylindrical bodied shop light (fluorescent) you can slip it down between the dip stick and oil filter housing and have it pretty much in the perfect position to light the entire work area underneath. Perhaps the most important step for this job is DISCONNECTING THE POSITIVE BATTERY LEAD. The battery cable that connects to the starter is hard-wired to the battery lead. There does not appear to be any type of master power relay that isolates the battery from the starter power lead.

starter5.JPG

I had read a few comments on the forums indicating the exhaust manifold had to be removed to replace the starter. Definitely not the case on the 06 CTS with the 3.6. While the space is not wide open its plenty for doing the job. Here is a shot of what you will see when you crawl under the driver's side and look up and inboard behind the exhaust manifold. In the left-had area of the photo you will see what I believe is a knock sensor. There is an identical one on the right-hand side of the engine as well. This sensor may not need to be removed but it would be a tight fit removing the starter if it were to remain in place. There are three electrical connections to address for this job; 1) knock sensor connector 2) starter solenoid connector 3) battery cable connection to starter.

starter1.jpg

starter2.JPG

Remove the connector from the knock sensor. BTW, in my opinion the hardest part of this job was disconnecting the electrical connectors. The lock tab should be depressed while pulling the connector body.

starter8.JPG

Remove the knock sensor mounting bolt using a 13mm socket and 11" ratchet. I used a ratchet with a pivot head which is usually easier to maneuver in tight places but I don't think it's a requirement. The knock sensor bolt is not torqued very tight so its pretty easy to break and back out.

Next remove the solenoid connector. This one was a bit stubborn to release. The lock tab points down. I used a long shank common head screw driver to depress the lock tab (pushing up gently) while prying to the rear. Once I figured out the locking mechanism for the connector removal was pretty clean.

starter3.JPG

WARNING: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE DISCONNECTED THE BATTERY BEFORE PROCEEDING.

Next disconnect the battery cable from the starter power stud. Use a boxed end wrench to break the nut and then remove the nut with your fingers. The cable terminal slides off the starter power stud easily once the nut is removed. Use side cutters to cut the nylon tie-wraps anchoring the battery cable to the engine block. Bend the battery cable out of the way. You can now see the the upper and lower starter mounting bolts.

starter4.JPG

Remove the two 15mm bolts. I used a deep socket with the 11" pivoting head ratchet with no problem. Slide the starter forward. As the nose of the starter clears the crank case let it drop down and clear of the vehicle. Install the new starter by reversing each of the steps taken during removal.

Due to the size of the battery cable its important to re-anchor it properly to the engine block. I prefer using two tie-wraps arranged in the "butterfly" technique for anchoring electrical leads/cable. Tie-wrapping a cable directly to a rigid object can cause the cable to chaff at the point where it contacts the object. The butterfly technique provides a stand-off that keeps the cable anchored while also keeping is separated from the rigid object. The following two photos demonstrate this technique. First, wrap one tie-wrap around the cable and the anchor point. Next, wrap the first tie-wrap with a second tie-wrap at a point between the cable and the anchor point. Don't fully tighten either at this point. Progressively tighten the two tie-wraps until both are snug. Clip the excess length.

starter6.JPG

starter7.JPG

As a side note, while under the car I noted that the two transmission fluid lines that carry fluid to the cooler and back were touching one another. This contact has existed for some time and has abraded some material from the OD of the lines. If your lines are making contact like mine were they should be separated. Firmly grasp one of the lines and gently pull it away from the other. Don't be too aggressive with these lines as they seem to be moderate wall aluminum tubing. I am lucky to have caught mine before a breach developed.

transmission lines1.JPG

Start to finish this is around a 3 hour job. Good luck!
    ktr-sb, CTSM and DopeEffect like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Re: 06 CTS 3.6L Starter Replacement

Great writeup! Wish I had looked before I started on my 06 SRX. I do have a couple of comments:

1) if you are using jack and jack stands, and you have air tools, take off the left front tire/wheel assembly (after orienting the tire valve at 12:00 and marking the hub/disc so you introduce any balance issues, of course). This gives you more wiggle room, and for a big guy like me, that's important.

2) the knock sensor on your engine and mine is oriented differently than what is shown in the factory manual, and the manual says nothing about the knock sensor needing removal in this procedure. I tried removing the starter with just the knock sensor disconnected, still no go. I will try this morning to loosen (but not remove) the knock sensor and orient to pointing in the 9:00ish position as shown in factory diagrams.

Again, great writeup, great pix, I know from personal experience it takes time and adds to the job, so thank you.

More pix here : https://srxturnsignals.shutterfly.co...emovalissues/4

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

Excellent well documented writeup, good job sharing this with everyone man.
    I would definitely reference this should I ever run into this problem.

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD
    Well, I got this done. The factory diagram is jacked up because it doesn't show the dipstick tube, which is what prevents you from rotating the knock sensor as shown in the manual. However, I did just loosen the knock sensor and rotate it out of the way to get the starter out. I had the benefit of doing it with the converter removed, sure looks tight with the converter in.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Excellent step by step thread. Great job!!
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

cadillacman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS base

Thank Guyz great pics and step by step.I'm new here just got my first 2006 CTS base and the starter stays engaged when it 10 degree's or below which is the case in WIS. right now! I bought a Haynes repair manual and it was crap. thanks again Quaver and others great job and know you beat the pro's at Haynes!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.