Coolant scare
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Coolant scare in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Two days after getting my oil changed at a dealer I drove 300 miles to go home. About 150 miles ...
    EasternPA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS

Coolant scare

Two days after getting my oil changed at a dealer I drove 300 miles to go home. About 150 miles in and stuck in traffic, I started smelling coolant bad. After a few minutes of getting worse I passed a disabled car with no signs of body damage. I thought Phew! glad it wasn't me. Was surprised by a low coolant warning this morning and attached a picture of the reservoir way below the cool line.

Which coolant should I use to refill? Dexcool? Or should I flush the whole system and switch back to green? The temp never goes above halfway and I don't see any white smoke or smell any coolant anymore. I obviously can't leave it that low.

Thoughts? Thank you!

----------

The mobile app keeps crashing when attaching but you can just envision an overflow tank less than half full with orange coolant in it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
    Don't ever let your car go low on coolant. Ever.

Yes, use GM's Dexcool coolant for aluminum engines as it says in the manual. If I recall its like an orange color...
    Either buy the 100% coolant and make a 50/50 mixture with distilled water, or buy the pre-mixed coolant.

And don't wait. If your cars super low on coolant, don't procrastinate, even if everything seems fine. Fill it back up before you drive another mile...and check for a coolant leak. You shouldn't just randomly run out of coolant.

Re: Coolant scare

Thanks very much for the quick reply. Taking my wife's car to Pep Boys to pick up the 50/50 mix right now. I still don't know what could have happened to trigger blowing some off for a few minutes and then being fine for the rest of the trip.

Thanks again I really appreciate it.

CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
    Quote Originally Posted by EasternPA
    Thanks very much for the quick reply. Taking my wife's car to Pep Boys to pick up the 50/50 mix right now. I still don't know what could have happened to trigger blowing some off for a few minutes and then being fine for the rest of the trip.

Thanks again I really appreciate it.
    No problem! And hmm...I have no idea why that would happen. If there's no leak at all but it just randomly lost a lot, then there's not much explanation. Maybe the guys who did the oil change drained the coolant and refilled it improperly? I don't know, just keep an eye on it.

I will. After refilling, I ran it for a little bit and moved the car to look for drips or leaks. Nothing. With my work and personal lives the way they are, I need to be able to get into my weekday car or my weekend car and drive up to 3,000 miles with zero notice, so blowing coolant about 150-170 miles after a dealer oil change was a little disconcerting.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

EasternPA,
    We're sorry to hear about the coolant situation. Keep us posted on how those levels look over the weekend!
    Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

Thank you, Sarah. It is very nice to see you participating in these forums! I haven't been around here in a while and your frequent participation is a nice new surprise!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.