Fronit and rear sway bar upgrade? Worth 200 bucks?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Fronit and rear sway bar upgrade? Worth 200 bucks? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I can retrofit used stock CTS-V sway bars into my CTS for about 200 dollars not counting the alignment needed ...
    cmjohnson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS luxury package

Fronit and rear sway bar upgrade? Worth 200 bucks?

I can retrofit used stock CTS-V sway bars into my CTS for about 200 dollars not counting the alignment needed afterwards.

In your opinion, is this worth doing at this price?

The sway bars going in would be stock GM parts, slightly used, not higher performance aftermarket parts.

But the car they'd go into has the stock suspension of a base luxury model.

I guess I should ask...these would fit right in, woudn't they? Or are there other differences which would make this retrofit a no-go without buying more parts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    Yes they would fit but I believe you will need different size sway bar bushings due to the diameter difference in the two. Yes they are a very nice upgrade!!!

----------

They will stiffen up car a bit and may make the car a hair higher due to the higher torsion rates.

CTSjones is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L manual

Re: Fronit and rear sway bar upgrade? Worth 200 bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by cmjohnson View Post
    I can retrofit used stock CTS-V sway bars into my CTS for about 200 dollars not counting the alignment needed afterwards.

The sway bars going in would be stock GM parts, slightly used, not higher performance aftermarket parts.

I guess I should ask...these would fit right in, woudn't they? Or are there other differences which would make this retrofit a no-go without buying more parts?
    1) Alignment will not be affected by changing the sway bars.
    2) Yes
    3) Yes
    4) They would fit with the appropriate rubber bushings. Ask if they are included with the sway bars you are considering buying.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
    ..........may make the car a hair higher due to the higher torsion rates.
    No change in ride height.

Cool. I guess it's worth doing, if the parts will bolt right in. Of course I'd get the appropriate bushings to go along with them. They're not expensive.

I gather that the stiffer bars won't affect ride quality in straight line driving. Is that true?

My car has the soft ride option package. Even then, the car has respectable road feel. When the time comes to replace the shocks and struts, I can then
    simply specify going to the next firmer package replacement parts if I wish to.

The first CTS I test drove was a 2006 with sport package. Its handling was simply wonderful but it was just out of my maximum allotted budget. I resolved not
    to violate my budget and so far I'm glad I stuck with that.

If I can, with a few simple changes, make my car handle as well, or better, I'll be thrilled.

I've had my car for less than a week and nearly every little quirk it has demonstrated has disappeared as it gets used. I gather that it sat for
    a couple of months between the time it was traded in and the time I bought it. Driving it has worked the kinks out of it.

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Using stock CTS-V bushings with the sway bars, they'll fit right in, with no mods needed. You should be able to keep your links too. There is no alignment needed afterwards.

Cool. I guess it's worth doing, if the parts will bolt right in. Of course I'd get the appropriate bushings to go along with them. They're not expensive.

I gather that the stiffer bars won't affect ride quality in straight line driving. Is that true?

My car has the soft ride option package. Even then, the car has respectable road feel. When the time comes to replace the shocks and struts, I can then
    simply specify going to the next firmer package replacement parts if I wish to.

The first CTS I test drove was a 2006 with sport package. Its handling was simply wonderful but it was just out of my maximum allotted budget. I resolved not
    to violate my budget and so far I'm glad I stuck with that.

If I can, with a few simple changes, make my car handle as well, or better, I'll be thrilled.

I've had my car for less than a week and nearly every little quirk it has demonstrated has disappeared as it gets used. I gather that it sat for
    a couple of months between the time it was traded in and the time I bought it. Driving it has worked the kinks out of it.
    It will effect handling in the corners by being slightly stiffer, both at front and back. It MAY affect driving in a straight line depending on surface changes from 1 side to the other (bumps on 1 side, smooth on other, etc) since car is stiffer.

Its worth doing, imo. I did Eibachs and liked them, and they are only very very slightly thicker then the stock V bars.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

I'm pulling the trigger on them tonight. I should have them in about a week.

I'm also going to get the stiffener bar for between the shock towers. I don't THINK there will be any clearance issue with the hood,
    but I might have to get the hood pad that's got the relief in it for that bar. I'm getting the factory type bar for a sport model, not
    a CTS-V or aftermarket bar, which I think would not fit under the stock first gen non-V hood.

Between these add-ons, I should have a pretty decent handling upgrade for not a lot of money.

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

I'll be doing this mod in a month or two, weather permitting.
    Already got the bars, and my car came with FE5 & STB. Looking forward to it.

I bought the bars and the strut tower brace. Yes, the right one for a 3.6.

What I'm not yet clear on is whether or not I need to get a different underhood insulation pad with clearance for the bar. If I do, I'll get it.

I'm also gambling (since I don't know for sure) that it'll fit under my stock hood without mods.

I had to research FE5. I am not yet very familiar with the option codes. FE5 is the slotted, cross-drilled brake rotors, right?

Any idea what else is different between a base CTS and, say, the sport package? Or the V, at least as far as suspension parts are concerned?

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

retrofit? dude, bolt them in and have a beer.

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

I bought the bars and the strut tower brace. Yes, the right one for a 3.6.

What I'm not yet clear on is whether or not I need to get a different underhood insulation pad with clearance for the bar. If I do, I'll get it.

I'm also gambling (since I don't know for sure) that it'll fit under my stock hood without mods.

I had to research FE5. I am not yet very familiar with the option codes. FE5 is the slotted, cross-drilled brake rotors, right?

Any idea what else is different between a base CTS and, say, the sport package? Or the V, at least as far as suspension parts are concerned?
    FE4 or FG2 are used on CTS-V. I believe either FE2 or FE3 is used on CTS sport packaged, and FE1 is the base \ lux suspension. Someone can correct that in regards to the CTS sport packaged options.

Wheels are bigger, brake rotors are a bit bigger on the sport packaged. V brakes are alot bigger and don't just bolt up. What else are you looking at?

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

My car has the Performance & Appearance Packages with FE5 & JE5.
    Fe5 is the Sport suspension, JE5 is the bigger brakes . Didn't come with slotted or drilled rotors, although it has them now, with ceramics.

It probably would have been cheaper for you to stretch your budget & buy a car with all those things already on it, instead of adding them now.
    Plus the '07 has the extended timing chain warranty.

I've really already committed to all the upgrades I plan to do at this time. My intent has never been to turn it into a near-V with a 3.6. Just get a little more handling performance out of the car.

I COULD have sprung for the car with the sport package. I could have stretched my budget to fit it. But for two things which kept me from doing it:

1: The car with the sport package has a sunroof. I don't like sunroofs. I figure it'll leak sooner or later and start to rust. I keep cars a VERY long time and would fully expect to have leakage and rust issues with any sunroof-equipped car
    before I was done with it.

2: I made my decision about pricing and decided I wouldn't go over my budget by a penny. Doing so would cut into reserves set aside specifically for addressing hidden issues that I actually expect to find with a used car.

Paying 9900 bucks for this car immediately gave me a budget of more than 5100 dollars for maintenance, parts replacement, upgrades, etc.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.