Axle/Spindle nut for 2005 CTS 3.6 (not 'V', don't know if it makes a Difference?)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Axle/Spindle nut for 2005 CTS 3.6 (not 'V', don't know if it makes a Difference?) in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I need to remove the axle nut on my 2005 CTS 3.6. Seems like many people are saying that these ...
    suchnsuch is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Axle/Spindle nut for 2005 CTS 3.6 (not 'V', don't know if it makes a Difference?)

I need to remove the axle nut on my 2005 CTS 3.6. Seems like many people are saying that these should be replaced if they are ever removed.

OK, I'm fine with that, but I cant seem to find the darn part, or part # anywhere? everywhere I look, they only list the the axle nut for the V-Series. I'm not sure if this is the same part or not? They're only a couple bucks so I might as well get them if I can find them?

Many thanks to anyone who can find a part #, or clarify if I use the same part as the V.

Below is what I seem to keep finding, but again they all say they they are only for the V-Series. . . Yeah, I shoulda had a V8. . .
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

david780a is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Axle/Spindle nut for 2005 CTS 3.6 (not 'V', don't know if it makes a Difference?)

i replced my rear hubs last year and reused the same nut with blue loctite, no problems they are still tight, 36 mm nut.

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

Re: Axle/Spindle nut for 2005 CTS 3.6 (not 'V', don't know if it makes a Difference?)

Quote Originally Posted by david780a View Post
    i replced my rear hubs last year and reused the same nut with blue loctite, no problems they are still tight, 36 mm nut.
    Are you sure it's a 36mm nut? I removed mine and reused it when I replaced my driver side rear hub assembly and it was a 35mm nut

Thank you for you input. It's not a 34mm, I have a 34mm socket, but its not big enough. Must be a 35mm? Maybe I'll just reuse mine, warnings had me concerned, but blue lock tight might quell that. Someone on the forum said the lock tight tape was easier to work with. The engineers didn't think this one through, considering what it takes to replace lug bolts. Kinda like the headlight bulbs. . . Oh well, still love the car.

Quote Originally Posted by suchnsuch View Post
    Thank you for you input. It's not a 34mm, I have a 34mm socket, but its not big enough. Must be a 35mm? Maybe I'll just reuse mine, warnings had me concerned, but blue lock tight might quell that. Someone on the forum said the lock tight tape was easier to work with. The engineers didn't think this one through, considering what it takes to replace lug bolts. Kinda like the headlight bulbs. . . Oh well, still love the car.
    What's the problem with replacing lug bolts/ studs?

It's the same procedure as on any car almost, it can be done without removing neither hub assemblies nor parking brakes (if it's a rear wheel).

1- Remove the stud by tapping it lightly or preferebly use a stud removal tool or if not available a C-Clamp can be used with something at the inner end to give the stud space to move.

2- Once the stud pops out, if they are rear wheel studs then once you pop it out of it spot you fish it out, then push the parking brake shoe outwards a bit creating space to insert the stud from the back, then use several 19MM+ washers stacked on top of each other (about 5-7 does it) with a lug nut being tightened on top of the washers, this causes the stud to be force inserted back into the hub assembly (when the lug nut torque approaches 100 lb/ft).

That's the proper procedure even according to GM service. Nothing too complicated about that and a stud can be in or out of a wheel in less than a minute prety much.

I have found a video that explains this pretty well (I disagree with him using oversized nuts, I think washers are safer for the lug nut bt it's not a big deal)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv5AR...tailpage#t=62s

david780a is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

my 2004 3.6 sport edition is a 36 mm nut, i had 34 and 35 wasnt big enough, had to buy 36mm

Quote Originally Posted by david780a View Post
    my 2004 3.6 sport edition is a 36 mm nut, i had 34 and 35 wasnt big enough, had to buy 36mm
    Well what happened with me was the inverse, I had read all over the place that the CTS rear axle has a 34mm hex nut, so I bought online a 34mm impact socket along with the replacement hub assembly, both arrived the same day so I took off my wheel and got to work, put the socket on and I was very surprised when the 34mm socket wouldn't fit, it was smaller than the nut.

So I had to go to the store and pick up a 35mm impact socket which fitted perfectly and the nut was off.

So at least I can say for sure the 2007 3.6L CTS has a 35mm nut. Now I can't attest for older CTS models but the rear axle nut on the 2007 has a 35mm axle nut.

OK, just ordered this part:
    DORMAN 615144 (05107) Spindle Nut
    Says its a replacement for OEM part # 10257766, Which I think is the right part. I will confirm this in a week or so when I try it out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.