Thermostat Housing and Water Pump Replacement 2003 cts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Thermostat Housing and Water Pump Replacement 2003 cts in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Ok so I recently bought my cadillac cts 2003 and found out it was leaking coolant. so i took it ...
    eg831 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 2003

Thermostat Housing and Water Pump Replacement 2003 cts

Ok so I recently bought my cadillac cts 2003 and found out it was leaking coolant. so i took it to a local shop here and they diagnosed the problem. so the outcome of it was that my thermostat housing was leaking bad and the water pump had a pin size hole. But they are trying to charge me $ 1,071 is that worth it? I need help maybe i could do this on my own?

p.s. im a new cadillac owner and new to this site and willing to take any suggestions.

oh does anyone know where i can get a repair shop manual for my cts for cheap or free??

thanks,
    Eric

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

pearl03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS
    I have a 03 too. Had my thermostat changed .... cost over $500 to change a $20 part. The top of the engine has to be removed to get at it. There is a how to on here... just search it. One thing about Caddy's is they are well built but when they do need care it will cost...

cabletech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt

Re: Thermostat Housing and Water Pump Replacement 2003 cts

$1000 is ridiculous. $100 tools (good tools), 4-5 hours of time (including lunch breaks), $70 (tops) in parts. It's not that hard, just time consuming.

Hockey Nut is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Eric, how many miles on your car? Pearl03 same question. Ihave an 03 with 48,500 easy miles. I'm trying to see if our 03's have a common miles approx. when the stats and pumps begin to fail. I welcome input from any owner. thanks. Now I found my Pinion seal weeping when I changed the Mobil !.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

cabletech is correct and pearl paid a fair price
    $1000 is way too much unless there's something else going on
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
    I got an 03 as well. I paid $820 for timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, spark plugs, and tensioners to be done, and it was done well by a trusted mechanic.
    Didn't get the thermostat done, but I'm kicking myself now for not doing it. The thermo isn't broken yet, but while they were in there they coulda done it for another few bucks.

Oh well, ill do it myself this summer I suppose. It'll be a nice learning experience.

eg831 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 2003

I just hit 75k

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
    I did my thermostat at 68k.

Bill Martin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS, 2011 Sts

A hole in the water pump? There's a weep hole to drain water that leaks around the shaft seal. If the pump actually coroded enough to have a hole in it the cooling system has been severly neglected.

I would rate thermostat as moderately diffucult. The manual calls for disconnecting the feed and return lines to the fuel rail ( I didn't) and there is a sequence to follow when torqueing the manifold fasteners. You'll absolutely need a torque wrench to do it correctly and a shop manual will help too. I bought a factory manual on DVD from ebay, don't remember how much so it mustn't have been too bad.

If you have the confidence and the tools you can do it yourself. Lots of good information on the site and plenty of people willing to help.

pearl03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I had thermostat changed at 125 k . Car now has 152 k on it. We had a dumping of snow last night. My neighborhood with his 4 wheel drive Chevy S15 got stuck in his driveway. I put my CTS in winter mode and drove right out and gave him a wave, and I only have all season tires on. He was still trying to dig out when I came back with our Timmies.

propninja is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

I just finished the whole proceedure on my car. The biggest hitch some of the fasteners in awkward places, mainly the lower bolt for the serpentine belt tensioner (took me three days). Had it not been for that, I could have done the job in a weekend. It's not overly complicated, there's just a lot of stuff to take off. If you attempt it bag and tag aour cables ll of your bolts and screws. believe it or not most of your cables, hoses and vacuum lines will pretty much fall back into place, (the heat fron the engine sets a lot of the various bends in place). Take your time and don't rush, and most definately have a manual at hand. You'll save a ton of cash.

chrisc543 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hello I just did one on my mother in laws car and it looks to be leaking. I am going to get an inspection camera to confirm. But something strange when I took it apart is the front bolt of the thermostat housing goes straight through into the coollent passage can anyone confirm thats how it is suppose to be?

Jmn111080 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cts

I don't know if it's different but I just did mine and a 2005 3.6 it wasn't bad but when I changed the transmission I figure I'll change it while I was there tell you what though in a 3.6 it is in the very back of the engine it would be a pain in the ass to change if I did not do it when the tansmission was out 120for the thermostat and housing

chrisc543 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

yeah the 03 is quite a bit different. it is on the front of the engine and it is in between heads. have to take entire intake manifold off to get to it.

Can anyone confirm if the front bolt hole is supposed to go through? it is open at the bottom of the threads. wondering if that is where it was leaking from.

arogers260 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury/Sport package

The oil cooler cover is known to leak and it is directly behind the thermostat housing. As far as the bolt hole goes I can't remember is it was open when I changed mine with the oil cooler.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.