Other Members Thoughts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Other Members Thoughts in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Greetings, This is my first post here, however I have been reading and absorbing all the great information here for ...
    poncho89 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS- V

Other Members Thoughts

Greetings,
    This is my first post here, however I have been reading and absorbing all the great information here for the past 7 months since I purchased my car.
    I would first like to say that this is a great forum with lots of good, non-biased info, with a minimal amount of bs. Which I can't say for a lot of other forums. It seems as though members here genuinely want to share information maturely. So thank you all for that.
    On to my question: I have a 2007 3.6 with 53,000 miles on it. I have had the car for 7 months and it has been perfect. I did plenty of research and was aware of the engines tendency to burn oil. That being said, I have checked the oil religiously. It has never used any oil until recently ( about a quarter of a quart) since it has been 5000 miles and I am going to change it tomorrow, I figured this to be normal.
    Yesterday I started the car in the morning and CEL came on and stayed on. I brought it to my trusted mechanic friend and the code P0021 came up. I know this to be cam position, timing over advanced. I at first was concerned due to the timing chain history on this car but I thought that since the car has not misfired or shown any other sign of abnormal behavior that perhaps this is just an anomaly?
    Has this code come up with any other members and turned out to be nothing other than something simple like bad gas or perhaps the slightly low oil?
    your thoughts are appreciated

Pierre

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: Other Members Thoughts

Here's a thought - use a subject line on your threads that actually grabs people's attention by telling them what the thread is about. A thread with the title "Other Members Thoughts" doesn't tell anyone browsing the forum what the thread is actually about, thus fewer people will be inclined to open the thread and offer their assistance. Something like "Help with P0021 code - cam position over advanced" would be better.

What is the timing chain history on the car that has you concerned?

Did you see this thread - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ault-code.html ?
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

poncho89 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS- V

AAIIIC,
    I appreciate your input. I have in fact searched the forum related to this and did see the thread you are referring to, however the situation is not quite the same as mine.
    When I mentioned the timing chain history it was in reference to the model as a whole having timing chain issues, not my particular car.
    For what it's worth, I cleared the code and have driven it about 100 mikes and the code has not yet came up again.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

timing chain google search

call your dealer and have them run your VIN and see if there are any open campaigns

also ask them if your VIN shows any 'special coverage warranties'

i can do this for you as well but i'll need your VIN and email
    (best not to post your email in public so either call or email me ... see my post sig below)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Welcome, Pierre! Like Rippy, I would be happy to run your VIN as well to check for recalls, coverages, etc. Please email me anytime with the last eight of your VIN, and I can research on your behalf. I'm reachable at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.