2004 V6 What to look out for.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2004 V6 What to look out for. in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; My son is looking at a 2004 CTS V-6 RWD. What are the problem ares on this car to check? ...
    Harry Davidson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Seville

2004 V6 What to look out for.

My son is looking at a 2004 CTS V-6 RWD.
    What are the problem ares on this car to check? Eng, Trans, Susp,

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport

Re: 2004 V6 What to look out for.

3.6's are known for oil consumption and have timing chain issues, 3.2's need the timing belt done every 100K and are known for thermostats, and as far as tranny's they're hit and miss. Some members have issues, but alot of members don't. Just depends on your driving habits and maintenance.

1KWIKCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Luxury/Sport 2004

I have a 2004 CTS with 120,000 on it, other than worn plugs at 97,000 miles, the engine has been fine and uses no oil. Always Mobil 1 Synthetic changed at 50% oil life.
    The timing chain issue was on later years because GM changed the chain and gears to a quieter pitch to reduce noise and screwed it up.
    Tune up you have to remove the upper portion of the intake, 6 bolts and lots of electrical connectors and a few hoses to pull the coil packs out to change the plugs. The front differential mount always goes bad, if you push and pull up and down on the front of the differental where the driveshaft goes in it shouldn't move up and down. I replaced mine with an aftermarket high performance urethane bushing. The third brake light over the license plate always goes bad on these too, the ballast for the neon tubes rusts out. New the part lists for $500 for the entire light, replace with LEDs retrofit much cheaper, also aftermarket.
    Of course, how it was driven and maintained, etc, has the biggest impact. Definitely have a mechanic inspect the vehicle before purchasing it. It'll be money well spent.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

first things first, when buying a used car make sure there are no dead hookers in the trunk.

we will need to know if its a 3.2 or 3.6l engine. the 2004's had 2 completely different engine designs.

the 3.2 origanated form the cadillac catera. although the catara had a bad name, the 3.2 had almost all the bugs worked out of it and came with larger bore than the catera.
    only a few smaller issues with the 3.2 like servicing the belt is a pain, spark plugs and thermostat are not as easy to change as s honda and the valve covers leak oil. if the car wont start its probably the crank position sensor.

the 3.6's have more power but keep in mind the 2004's were the guinea pigs for this motor. gm has made tweaks to it over the years, and it is currently thier most popular engine in a slightly different variant.
    you have to watch out for timing chain issues, stalling caused by thottle body issues and oil consumption.

all cts years are plagued with complaints of a loud diff. putting in LSD additive, and high grade diff fluid (i use royal purple) keeps them running better.

seeing that you ride a harley, you are probably no stranger to a tool box and oil leaks, so you should be fine.
    I ride a harley as well, but its not even broken in yet.

bruinsfan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts , 3.6L

I have a 2004 v6 with 112k and when I brought it the 3rd light right away wasn't working replaced with led strips also I heard the front bushings are known to go on these cars replaced. Runs fine now, just have a small oil leak which I can't seem to locate where it is coming from , took it to 2 mechanics and they can't seem to locate it either. But it leaves a small spot the size of a nickel every time I leave it in the driveway.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.