Engine Swap Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By neurotictim
  • 2 Post By GregL.
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Engine Swap Question in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I have an opportunity to swap my 2005 CTS 3.6 with a 2005 CTS V-8. Does anybody know if the ...
    GregL. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

Engine Swap Question

I have an opportunity to swap my 2005 CTS 3.6 with a 2005 CTS V-8. Does anybody know if the V8 will bolt up to a V-6 automatic transmission? I really do not want to change out the entire drivetrain because that involves the interior console opening a whole new bag.

I have already taken the wheels, rotors, calipers, hubs, and axles and would really like the engine but do not know if it is doable.

Thanks all. Anybody out in the northern Virginia that can help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 118k
    Quote Originally Posted by GregL.
    I have an opportunity to swap my 2005 CTS 3.6 with a 2005 CTS V-8. Does anybody know if the V8 will bolt up to a V-6 automatic transmission? I really do not want to change out the entire drivetrain because that involves the interior console opening a whole new bag.

I have already taken the wheels, rotors, calipers, hubs, and axles and would really like the engine but do not know if it is doable.

Thanks all. Anybody out in the northern Virginia that can help?
    If it does bolt up the added HP will tear it and your rear diff to shreds...This won't be easy nor cheap.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

neurotictim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, stock. Blacked-Out 2007 CTS 3.6 "Odd One"

Re: Engine Swap Question

I can't speak for whether it will bolt up or not, but you *should* be able to find an auto tranny out of a wrecked Vette or GTO that will bolt right up, and theoretically keep the interior modifications to a minimum. Might wanna grab the rear end out of a GTO while you're at it.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

I can also transfer the rear diff over. Thinking the exhaust will also have to transfer. Only missing link is an auto trans from a v8.. How hard can it be? Very hard actually so I am treading with caution.

The reason this became necessary is that my valves decided to make a racket starting yesterday. Nearly 160,000 miles on this engine. I have a CTS V 2005 in my garage that has title problems so I have been swapping parts. The loudest valve seems to come from the pass. side rear area.

Thanks.

Just to clarify things I have 160,000 miles on my v6. This one has started knocking from the top end. My V8 has 70,000 miles and runs perfectly.

neurotictim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, stock. Blacked-Out 2007 CTS 3.6 "Odd One"

I'm all for a log on how you do this - I'm very interested in what it takes to make it happen - but wouldn't it be easier and cheaper in the long run to fix the title problems on the V?
    Argent1 and Argent1 like this.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by neurotictim View Post
    ... but wouldn't it be easier and cheaper in the long run to fix the title problems on the V?
    That would be my vote. That's not to say that it's impossible to do an LS motor and automatic in a CTS, but you'd be blazing a new path that would require a lot of custom work, both mechanical and electrical. Same goes for adding a GTO (or other) diff into the mix.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

A48WillyzGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS
    Even if the motor would bolt up to the trans, I wouldn't run it. The torque from the V8 will destroy it in a heartbeat. The same is true of the V6 rear end. Even the V guys blow theirs up.

Wouldn't it be easiest to pull the motor, trans, wiring, and ecu all at once and transplant the entire thing in your car? Grab the driveshaft, diff, clutch pedal assembly and center console from the V and you'd be set.

This is exactly what I plan. And I found a friend to help. He is bringing his hoist. I have the two cars side by side in the garage. Only problem now is that the valve train quit knocking. I ran the oil a bit low and added synthetic 15w50 to fill it until I could get home and do a proper oil change. A few days went by then the rattle started two days ago. The valve noise was real bad so in my panic planned a cheap fix. So after an oil change yesterday with the proper 5W30 Mobil1 it stayed knocking for a day but today I drove it around knocking but then I started it up and all the noise was gone. Only thing I can think of was dirt or gunk clogging the cam/lifter journal. Just a thought though.

If I do attempt this I will write down the steps, take pics and keep you all updated. Thank, all.
    neurotictim and neurotictim like this.

A48WillyzGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS
    If you decide not to, let me know. I'm planning a very similar swap and could use some parts

J W
    J W is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS /CTS-V / Escalade

Pm me about what parts you need, might have some

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.