steering wandering and suspension knocking noise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 3 Post By arogers260
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, steering wandering and suspension knocking noise in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hey guys, I have an issue with my steering. When the roads are uneven or have tire wear grooves the ...
    s_tharsan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport

Question steering wandering and suspension knocking noise

Hey guys, I have an issue with my steering. When the roads are uneven or have tire wear grooves the steering feels loose and pulls a little in either direction and seems like its not correcting itself. I checked the tie rods and they seem fine. My friend thinks its the inner tie rod since when is grab the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and wiggle it I hear a slight ticking but on both sides though and when pressure is applied to the inner tie rod the ticking noise goes away. I also recently started hearing a tapping/knocking noise when I hit small cracks in the road but it goes away when I am applying the brake and going over cracks. Although the knocking noise seems to be getting louder over time. Has anyone had this issue? Can a bad strut cause this steering issue and noise? Also the knocking noise is only coming from the front driver side wheel. Steering feels and turns great otherwise; no stiffness or vibrations.

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    Tie rod is a pretty good possibility. Prob the inner if the outer is fine. The tapping sound you hear is more than likely a sway bar link. They are cheap....change em both!!!

Re: steering wandering and suspension knocking noise

Thanks Blayne, I'll change both inner tie rods, and outer since the previous owner appears to only have changed one outer one and i'll change sway bars.

arogers260 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury/Sport package
    Quote Originally Posted by s_tharsan
    Hey guys, I have an issue with my steering. When the roads are uneven or have tire wear grooves the steering feels loose and pulls a little in either direction and seems like its not correcting itself. I checked the tie rods and they seem fine. My friend thinks its the inner tie rod since when is grab the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and wiggle it I hear a slight ticking but on both sides though and when pressure is applied to the inner tie rod the ticking noise goes away. I also recently started hearing a tapping/knocking noise when I hit small cracks in the road but it goes away when I am applying the brake and going over cracks. Although the knocking noise seems to be getting louder over time. Has anyone had this issue? Can a bad strut cause this steering issue and noise? Also the knocking noise is only coming from the front driver side wheel. Steering feels and turns great otherwise; no stiffness or vibrations.

Thanks in advance
    Sway bar bushings or insulators as the technical name. I changed mine and all free play in the wheel was eliminated. The knocking noise on bumps is definitely a key indicators to worn bushings allowing your sway bar to bang around. To check jack up the complete front end and garb your sway bar and try to move it back and forth, side to side, if it moves at all you need new buschings.

Ahhh crap, I actually meant to say the bushings, not the links. Thanks for the correction. Change the bushings first. That was the problem with mine!!

thanks guys. I'm gonna check it in a few hours.

I checked the sway bar links and bushing but they seem to be fine, looks like they were replaced by the previous owner. So I guess that leaves me with the inner tie rod end. I'm thinking of replacing the inner and outer tie rod on both sides. Does anyone have any tips or hints to do this job. I have never done this before.

I hope you didn't just eye ball them up. You need to have a bit of weight on the wheels. Then you need to get a pry bar of some sort and pry the sway bar. You will see if there is a bit of play in there. There is a lot of tension on the sway if you has the wheels on the ground.

No I lifted the wheel off the ground and wiggled the sway bar and links. It was rock solid. I also noticed when I make sharp turns at low speeds I feel a tap in my steering wheel.

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
    The way our suspension is you won't know if the links are bad unless checked with the weight of car on the suspension. You can get play with the car lifted but then they are completely shot.

So would it be better if I raised the car and jacked up the wheel? I'll try that way as well.

arogers260 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury/Sport package
    Quote Originally Posted by s_tharsan
    So would it be better if I raised the car and jacked up the wheel? I'll try that way as well.
    Lift the entire front end so there is no weight on either wheel to properly check. If one wheel is still on the ground it will have enough weight on it to not be able to check the sway bar, etc. it will seem tight with no play if only one side is lifted up.
    CTSjones, s_tharsan and s_tharsan like this.

Ok I know its been a while but due to weird schedules from work and a few trips, I'm slowly still working on this. I changed the outer tie rod ends. 1 of them was really bad. The inner ones were fine so I did not change them. I checked the bushing for the sway bar and they look fine. But I noticed that at low speeds and at idle, I hear a knocking noise when turning. So I had someone tug on the steering wheel repeatedly while I was checking the linkages during the knocking/popping noises. I felt everything and noticed that the noise seemed to be coming from high up near the engine compartment. Could this is the rack on steering column? I also noticed the noise only occurred when the steering hoses/hydraulic lines moved under pressure.

Again thanks in advance.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.