Smoking Engine during cold Weather on '03 CTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By josney
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Smoking Engine during cold Weather on '03 CTS in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; On my commute to work two days ago, my engine area started smoking under the hood. It was probably about ...
    phercollins is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS

Smoking Engine during cold Weather on '03 CTS

On my commute to work two days ago, my engine area started smoking under the hood. It was probably about 12 minutes into the drive,
    and it was extremely cold (I believe 9 degrees Fahrenheit). The smoke was white, and could visibly be seen trailing behind me very thickly while on the highway. I pulled off and checked under the hood. The smoke appeared to be coming from the driver side area under the hood but I could not pinpoint a location. You could also smell the smoke in the cabin as the hot air was turned on. Although still cold, I noticed the engine doesn't smoke, although I haven't driven it more than 20 mins since the incident. However, when the heat is turned on, I can
    smell the smoke again and my guess is it would probably start smoking soon after. So anytime I have had to use the vehicle, I bare the
    cold and just use my heated seats for warmth, as I think having the heat on contributes to the issue.

I have a 2003 Cadillac CTS. It has about 110K miles on it. The oil was just changed out by a shop about a month and half ago. Any
    suggestions as to what the problem may be and any possible fixes?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ballerwithabudget is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Smoking Engine during cold Weather on '03 CTS

I had a similar problem a few day ago. The leak seemed to come from higher up in the engine compartment and leaks down onto the headers and other low lying engine components. The oil spilled on the ground was in a large quantity, I'd say about 2quarts give or take. When it started smoking I pulled over because the white smoke was going through my vents into the cabin. It stopped smoking and leaking badly. I poured 2 quarts of motor oil in. Strange thing is it stopped leaking and smoking, I'm taking it in for an oil change soon. I just don't want some greasmonkey to scam me on fixing it, any idea what it could be? Just looking for an edge when I take it in.

josney is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

03's are bad about this. you need to replace your valve cover gaskets or for only a few dollars extra, you can get the entire valve cover w/gaskets. contact chris at rippys cadillac, he is a vendor on this site. he will hook you up.
    Keviardi and Keviardi like this.

Keviardi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 White Diamond CTS Luxury/Sport

Same thing happened to me a few weeks back. I had my valve cover gasket replaced and it fixed it, and I found that through the local shop. Hopefully you can get it fixed a lot cheaper.

bcrandall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Same thing mine did a week ago. Had valve cover gaskets replaced, fixed the problem. You may also want to look into updating the pcv if it hasn't been done or you could have this problem again living in a cold weather state.

ballerwithabudget is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    @josney

Thanks for the info, I will look into this right away. Thanks again.

Semper fi

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.