CTS-V exhaust on 3.2L
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, CTS-V exhaust on 3.2L in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Have a 2003 3.2L CTS and recently found a 2005 CTS-V stock exhaust that I would like to put on. ...
    604_se is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

CTS-V exhaust on 3.2L

Have a 2003 3.2L CTS and recently found a 2005 CTS-V stock exhaust that I would like to put on.

My catalytic converters are done and need to be replaced and wondering if I can do this swap instead. The V exhaust includes the cats.

> Can a 2005 CTS-V exhaust fit on a 2003 3.2L and use the V Catalytic converters also?

> What would be a fair price for a used V exhaust?

Thanks, I only found info on the 2.8L and 3.6L. Maybe I didn't look hard enough but any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: CTS-V exhaust on 3.2L

Bump. Help needed please.

sandalet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-2003, 3.2 automatic

You have to replace the whole system with the resonator. No problems except one. You will lose power significantly. I discovered this when iinstalled the whole system of SRX 4.6. Too much resistance to the rear mufflers. I had to get rid of this system in favor Magnaflow.

CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
    Quote Originally Posted by sandalet
    You have to replace the whole system with the resonator. No problems except one. You will lose power significantly. I discovered this when iinstalled the whole system of SRX 4.6. Too much resistance to the rear mufflers. I had to get rid of this system in favor Magnaflow.
    Are you sure about this? Are you saying the V exhaust causes too much resistance in the rear mufflers? That definitely isn't the case as the V exhaust is a lot more free flowing that the 3.2L single exhaust.
    If you're saying you need back pressure and the V exhaust causes there to be not enough back pressure, then this is also incorrect as your magnaflow exhaust would have even less back pressure than a V exhaust and my current 3.2L exhaust with an open cutout (by passing muffler) would cause too little back pressure but it does not. If anything, there would be a power gain with a V exhaust.

Unless someone (or you) knows something I don't, but that is my understanding of it...

Logically, you're right. Larger section of the pipe cross-over gas. But the problem is that the gas pressure drops. Principle of any muffler is the creation of barriers to free off-gas. CTS-V mufflers are designed to block out noise created by the pressure of gases 8-cylinder engine with a capacity of 6.0 liters. I could try to develop a theme, but my English is not enough. But I do know that after installing an exhaust system SRX 4.6 I received an increased fuel consumption and a significant loss of torque at high rpm ..

Logically, you're right. Larger section of the pipe cross-over gas. But the problem is that the gas pressure drops. Principle of any muffler is the creation of barriers to free off-gas. CTS-V mufflers are designed to block out noise created by the pressure of gases 8-cylinder engine with a capacity of 6.0 liters. I could try to develop a theme, but my English is not enough. But I do know that after installing an exhaust system SRX 4.6 I received an increased fuel consumption and a significant loss of torque at high rpm ..
    I do understand where you're coming from, but how do you explain my cutout or your magnaflow mufflers? I literally don't have a muffler when I have the cutout open, so it's even worse than a V exhaust. Your magnaflow mufflers should be even more free flowing than the V's. I personally don't have any performance of torque loss. If anything, I feel there is an improvement, albeit very very marginal if at all.

Plus, the 3.6 and 2.8 guys put up V exhausts all the time. There shouldn't be much if a different between the 3.2 and 2.8/3.6. Very similar power sizes and airflow.

I was able to convince the opponents on the Russian forum Cadillac, but here I am powerless)))
    Let the author of the topic itself will check)))

Bill Martin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS, 2011 Sts

If the CTS-V causes a reduction in exhaust gas velocity at the head/valve you'll reduce the scavaging effect and lose torque. Exhaust pipe length will also affect the tune (as in musical instrument) and shift the torque peak up or down. Having said that I'll admit I don't have any direct experence with the 3.2 using a CTS-V exhaust but the manufacturers are getting really good at things like exhaust design now. Unless it's compromised by noise compliance or something there's not alot to gain just by changing the exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Martin
    If the CTS-V causes a reduction in exhaust gas velocity at the head/valve you'll reduce the scavaging effect and lose torque. Exhaust pipe length will also affect the tune (as in musical instrument) and shift the torque peak up or down. Having said that I'll admit I don't have any direct experence with the 3.2 using a CTS-V exhaust but the manufacturers are getting really good at things like exhaust design now. Unless it's compromised by noise compliance or something there's not alot to gain just by changing the exhaust.
    I know some go the route of CAI + free flow exhaust for performance purposes and after dyno testing it definitely shows a HP increase. Not sure about torque, but essentially it does improve performance, even on a 3.2L. (Check the 3.2L dyno tests. They're listed in the Stickies)

As for me, while I still certainly care about performance, I'd still swap into a V exhaust even if it was 100% proven there would be no benefit purely for the sound of the exhaust note. That being said, I wouldn't swap if its proven that it decreases performance. I won't sacrifice that just for a better sound.

Question is, does the V exhaust actually negatively effect the 3.2L? And I mean a catback section, not the entire thing all the way up to where it connects the engine. So far no one with actual experience with the 3.2L/V exhaust combo has posted. I am certainly no expert, nor do I have the V exhaust on my 3.2L. However, everything for me is logically saying that the V exhaust shouldn't negatively effect the 3.2L. If anything, performance should be increased. Better airflow is generally optimal, despite the whole back pressure argument. Furthermore, the 3.2L cannot be so fundamentally different from the 2.8 or 3.6. They're all V6 engines within .8 liters of each other. If back pressure were to negatively effect smaller engines, would the 2.8 not feel the greatest negative effects? Like the 3.2L, it is single exhaust but is even .4L smaller. Yet, people with 2.8L continue to install V exhausts and more free flowing exhausts without negative effects. Just ask KOT, who I believe has done this.

In addition, the exhaust cutout I have (meaning no muffler) and certainly any larger pipe Magnaflow exhaust should be more free flowing and create even less back pressure than the V exhaust would, yet I do not experience any power loss. Most likely a gain, actually. So logically, why would it be the V exhaust in particular that hurts it?

Anyway, hopefully someone with firsthand experience of the 3.2L / V exhaust combo comes by to resolve this. Because if it truly is correct that a V exhaust will hurt 3.2L performance, I want to know. I just seriously do not believe it based on what I know.

Good info here.. Just need to know if the V cats + exhaust will bolt on to a 3.2L.

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

I think it would be best to put a 3.6 system on the 3.2/2.8 if you want a dual system. I think a 2" system would be better than 2.5" on these engines.

Just my opinion.

Read this if you're concerned about back pressure.

http://genesisforums.org/hyundai-gen...re-needed.html

But hmph I really wish someone with a 3.2L V exhaust combo would come along and describe the performance. I mean the 3.6L engine is taking a huge step up to a 6.0L exhaust...I just can't imagine another .4L having any radical effect what so ever. I mean we're not dropping cylinders and in reality, it's not the entire V exhaust. It would be partially 3.2L exhaust, partially V.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Argent1
    I think it would be best to put a 3.6 system on the 3.2/2.8 if you want a dual system. I think a 2" system would be better than 2.5" on these engines.

Just my opinion.
    Not to correct you, but the 2.8 I believe has a 2.25", same as the 3.6....just no dual exhaust. The 3.2L has a single 2.5" pipe, which makes sense since it is larger than the 2.8 with single 2.25, but smaller than the 3.6 with dual 2.25".

A single 2.5" pipe is kinda the middle ground I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Argent1 View Post

Just my opinion.
    it is a fact.
    My system is 4.6 SRX made ​​my Cadillac totally silent. At low engine rpm, I heard only the sound of the engine. And as I sat in the car, I never heard the sound of the exhaust ...
    Mufflers are designed to create silence. To create a quiet silencers create resistance exhaust gases. The greater the displacement, the more powerful the system mute created for it. Naturally without compromising acoustics.

it is a fact.
    My system is 4.6 SRX made ​​my Cadillac totally silent. At low engine rpm, I heard only the sound of the engine. And as I sat in the car, I never heard the sound of the exhaust ...
    Mufflers are designed to create silence. To create a quiet silencers create resistance exhaust gases. The greater the displacement, the more powerful the system mute created for it. Naturally without compromising acoustics.
    Well considering that we already have a stock 2.5" pipe for our exhaust, and 2.25" for the 2.8L engine as stock, I do not believe the notion that 2" pipes are better than 2.5" pipes is a fact.

A V-exhaust would not be enlarging the diameter of the stock exhaust, only adding an extra pipe.

But what you're arguing has nothing to do with pipe diameter, rather you're saying that the V mufflers will create too much back pressure, correct? This barrier and resistance that mufflers create to get silence (which you speak of) is back pressure.
    However, the V-exhaust was not built to be perfectly silent as stock, but have a slight refined growl. In addition, would the air displacement from a 6.0L engine also require greater air flow? Yes, right? So while the mufflers may be beefed up slightly to silence it, everything will still be more free flowing than a 3.2L exhaust.

Please tell me if there is a mistake in my train of logic here, but I fail to see one.

As for your SRX exhaust situation....I'm not sure what to say as I have no knowledge of what the SRX exhaust is like. But don't think that the V exhaust is just a larger version of the SRX exhaust or that your situation will immediately happen with the V exhaust.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 604_se
    Good info here.. Just need to know if the V cats + exhaust will bolt on to a 3.2L.
    Sorry OP for us hijacking your thread with this debate.

I am fairly positive that they will fit without any major hitch. If there is any slight modification needing done, a shop will be able to do it without huge costs. Keep in mind the CTS-V is the same frame, etc and lots of base CTS parts will correspond to CTS-V parts.

Your only issue will be cutting a hole in the bumper. Any ideas how you're doing that?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.