my cts does not like zero degree temp
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By talladega
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, my cts does not like zero degree temp in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Woke up this morning and it was zero w a windchill of -10 my car did not want to start.. ...
    ztollon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

my cts does not like zero degree temp

Woke up this morning and it was zero w a windchill of -10 my car did not want to start.. when it did, it didnt move in gear w my foot off the break. Im assuming this is all beacuse my fluids where like molasses beacuse it went away after the engine got warm. So my question is.. why did my car seem to gurgle and and gobble. Yes i said gobble like a turkey. Commimg directly from under my shifter.. is this my trans making noises or cooler lines.. idk

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    When you say that it didn't want to move into gear with your foot off of the brake. Do you mean from Park? If so then that is good, it's the law to have that feature in place. It's called a brake interlock. Basically you can't take it out of Park with out you being on the brake.

KOT

No in drive. Im not dumb

CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
    Quote Originally Posted by ztollon
    No in drive. Im not dumb
    Hahahaha man KOT, some pretty clueless people come posting on here but I doubt anyone's thaaaatt clueless...

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: my cts does not like zero degree temp

Ztollon, I see you're seeking DIY advice from other members so I wanted to let you know I'm available via email (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com) if you have any additional questions. I'm happy to check my resources for you anytime, and sending the last eight of your VIN in your email would be helpful.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

CTS-QC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6L V6 RWD Performance

Started mine this morning in -27 C (thats about -17 F). It didn't make strange noises but it ran a bit rough. And I think I saw the check engine light flash once while under acceleration. After the engine warmed up there were no more problems.
    Face it, cold weather is tough on cars. You got to expect it to sound differently under those conditions.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 126k
    Quote Originally Posted by CTS-QC
    Face it, cold weather is tough on cars. You got to expect it to sound differently under those conditions.
    Yep, you can pretty much blame extreme cold for any noises that weren't there previous to the weather change. My STS has sounded very pissed the last few mornings when I've fired her up, air temps ranging from -5F to -15F here in southern MN...

The oil is thick and way down in the crankcase after a night of sitting in those temps, being that our cars are VVT they rely on oil pressure for timing. It takes a bit for that thick oil to warm up and circulate when it's that cold.. Expect an angry engine in subzero temps
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

That puts my mind to ease a little. Any increased chance of a spun bearing?

talladega is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6L

Are you running synthetic oil?

The other night it was -40C and I didn't have my car plugged in. Turned the key and it started. It was very unhappy about starting but it did and I let it run for about 3 minutes before driving. 100yds down the street and the temp gauge was already going up. The seats were rock hard and the suspension was stiff though, of course.

I do get funny noises in the car when it is cold as well. It is good to be aware of them to make sure it isn't something serious.
    Argent1 and Argent1 like this.

Of course royal purple all around

BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE
    I've always been told to let the vehicle warm to operating temp before driving, I don't like adding products to my oil, but I put Lucas oil stabilizer in may last dts to help with the dry starts, it seemed to help, since then I've learned how tight the tolerances are and have heard so much about not adding oil products that I have not put any in the next car, looking for an engine heater now. Sorry if I got off subject.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.