new and have a p0420 / p0430 codes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, new and have a p0420 / p0430 codes in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; i have an 04 CTS with the 3.6 that keeps throwing those 2 codes and has what almost seems like ...
    johnmlebel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS

new and have a p0420 / p0430 codes

i have an 04 CTS with the 3.6 that keeps throwing those 2 codes and has what almost seems like a miss/pop in the engine at idle, it is not all the time just only when it idles other than that it runs out great and fine no stuttering. Upon looking into the cats I find that they have the "visual inspection" cats that a copy online sells so they are deffinately not plugged. I thought they were plugged causing what almost acts like a backfire or the engine loading up. any ideas? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: new and have a p0420 / p0430 codes

no suggestions on this one?

added o2 extensions and still get the codes and the stutter at idle.

RCVW is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): "Angel Dust" 2004 White Diamond CTS 3.6L-V
    How many miles do you have? Possibly clogged...I just replaced mine actually.

155k miles and what would be clogged? the convertors are the ones that look right but there is nothing in them

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

I believe those codes are rear o2 codes for cat converter. If the o2 sensors are good, I would have to think cats. How many miles on the caddy? I believe the cats are covered under their own warranty for something like 80k miles \ 8 years if I'm not mistaken. Maybe someone can double check that.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

check the full exhaust system from head to tailpipe for cracks or holes, if its not that those 2 codes trigger when the cats have lost efficiency for storing oxygen so cats are bad, if you get any errors after new cats, sometimes p0054 or P0060 that will be bad o2 sensors, whoever does the work has to be careful not to disturb the sensors to much when removing them from the old cats, if in doubt get new ones and replace cat and sensors while your in that area.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

those codes (p0420 and p0430) will ONLY show up if the cat is bad

if the o2 sensors aren't working correctly you will get different codes

if they are working correctly and they sense that the cat. efficiency is below the threshold (probably set by the govt) then those codes will set

it's a bit weird that they both set at the same time though ...
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

it has visual cats only they are the ones a company online sells. they are just straight through pipes that look like stock convertors. i haves those codes but would they make the car idle odd i guess is what im wondering. right now after it warms up i get an odd idle like a miss but it never trips a code for an engine miss

Sotex is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS/3.6

Since you have no cats, per se, I would imagine the ECM is having difficulty with the O2 readings. Since it expects a certain difference between the pre and post O2 values and there is none, it's not happy. Only replacing the cats with real ones or adjusting the values in the ECM (doubtful at best) will you be able to alleviate the ECM's displeasure. Plus that awful exhaust smell on a Caddy is "just not right" jkjk

GCTS1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have exactly the same problem now. It started with one code at first (P0420), which if I remember correctly is Bank 1. Anyways, I thought I was been smart by installing an used Cat (trying to save money). The used cat seem to be in good condition but now I have the code for both Cats (P0420 and P0430). I am just going to buy new OEM Catalytics. Is there a better place to buy OEM for a lower price than the local GM/Cadillac "Stealer" (aka Dealer)

----------

By the way I have a CTS 3.6L with 140,000 miles for reference.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.