Noise when shifting gears
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Noise when shifting gears in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I have a 2005 CTS that started making a clanking sound when I shift to any gear (reverse, drive, or ...
    Method1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

Noise when shifting gears

I have a 2005 CTS that started making a clanking sound when I shift to any gear (reverse, drive, or back into park). This started about 2 weeks ago but I did not notice how loud it was until my wife shifted to reverse while I was standing outside the car. Can someone tell me what the possible causes are?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ctsboiha is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): cts
    Guibo flex disc is what I was told! !

joemalone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Method1 View Post
    I have a 2005 CTS that started making a clanking sound when I shift to any gear (reverse, drive, or back into park). This started about 2 weeks ago but I did not notice how loud it was until my wife shifted to reverse while I was standing outside the car. Can someone tell me what the possible causes are?
    I have the same problem..been like that for 5 months now..just been lazy to fix

CBCadi06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 2006 3.6

Re: Noise when shifting gears

Ive had this problem since I've had it (2 years), thought it was nothing but then again...its always something.

Mechanic told me yesterday I cant pass safety Inspection because of it. (passed it last time when I lived in UT)
    He thinks its the engine mount that might be off, causing the jolts. I notice/ feel it when switching to reverse or drive while I'm parked.

ctsboiha is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): cts
    There is a tranny mount bushing an two bushings on each end of your drive shaft called flex discs an there is a bushing in the rear diff it could be any of those but probably would start with the flex disc they say when replacing them you get the factory feel back

Snake Enterprises is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6L

Yeah over time the flex discs wear out and eventually when theres enough play you'll get a clank.

Method1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

Thanks all for the info. This noise started a month or so ago, is this a problem that I need to fix immediately or do I have some time? Also any idea how much this is going to cost me?

dsdirect is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

I would guess it's the front upper bushing for the rear differential. The part is cheap ($25-$60 OEM) but depending on who's changing it it could be expensive. Book time on it is not friendly.

If you can do it yourself or know a place that charges real time (rare) then it shouldn't be too bad.

Take a look at this thread:

Rear Diff replace

and this video:

Rear Diff bushing quick and

for a better idea.

If you do leave it and drive it will eventually cause more damage - could be extensively more.

If it's not the rear diff then it's probably the front driveshaft flex disk.

if it is the rear diff bushing then chances are the front flex disk will be pretty well toast as well if it has not already been replaced. This part is easy to replace but not so easy to source. GM does not sell them separately - only as a "driveshaft assembly". There are some cheap, and unreputable knock-offs available online. As well, Creative Steel and Revshift each sell there replacement versions. I ordered one from Revshift and I'm still waiting for it - over three weeks later. Creative Steel might have been quicker.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.