HID lights
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, HID lights in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So my 04 Cadillac CTS 3.2L 5sp manual had the projector lights installed when I bought the car. They weren't ...
  1. #1
    Kik
    Kik is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    34

    HID lights

    So my 04 Cadillac CTS 3.2L 5sp manual had the projector lights installed when I bought the car. They weren't very bright so my son & I installed some sort of HID system he bought. Don't know the brand off hand but cost around $120. It was working ok until a few days ago. The left side stopped working. I figure either the bulb or ballast is bad. That's the background.....now looking over the fuses just to make sure one of them aren't blown, I notice in the book it says HID relay optional, so I go look under the hood and sure enough there's a relay in the slot. So my question is,
    1)do you really think it's wired for HID because the relay is there.

    2) If it is operational, do you think I screwed it up by plugging ballasts into a system already wired for HID?

    3) do you think I can just unplug the aftermarket ballasts and plug the OEM sockets to the HID bulbs?

    Is there anyone here even familiar with this stuff because I have the IQ of a dead houseplant when it comes to this stuff....LOLOL

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    hrpatel17926 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS, 2007 ESV
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The city of the 500
    Age
    43
    Posts
    218

    Re: HID lights

    KIK,

    My hunch is yours did not some with HID therefore no relay, ballast or HID bulb. hence if you put a relay in it, it probably will not do anything because there is no Ballast.

    Now, your new kit should have come with bulbs and a ballast, some of those kits come with an optional relay for more power or if you have a hi/low bulb also requires a relay. Many cheaper systems do not show you the positive and negative wires so you have to figure them out on your own then push them into a connector that should plug directly into the factory bulb harness. Is that what you did?

    If yes then did you verify the correct polarity? many times the bulb will work but at a lower power, once powered up correctly usually there will be a day and night difference of brightness from the factory bulb and the HID system.

    I would check polarity and check with your HID ballast MFG and see if there is a relay required for more power to the ballasts. Also try connecting them directly to 12v and see if they power up, DONT touch the bulb with your fingers.

    Good Luck.

  4. #3
    FRANKIE FINGERS's Avatar
    FRANKIE FINGERS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WHITTIER, SO CAL
    Posts
    206
    Hids is. Hit and miss unless you have OEM ones. I have had allot of experience with all cheap ones they sell online or ebay. There is only 2 companies in china that make the bulbs and tons of em making ballasts. Good ballasts are made in japan and good bulbs have that refective sticker on the bulb cover when u buy em. Even with the good stuff. Its electrical and can be a nightmare as well. I have had some last for 3 years and some last for 3 hours. At least thats been my experience

  5. #4
    SHORTSTACK's Avatar
    SHORTSTACK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS 3.6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    York, South Carolina
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: HID lights

    Check your wiring. Most people do shitty jobs (do to lack of expierience) when it comes to wiring the kits. No offense. I have seen it time and time again. Always use a mulitmeter as well. 20k volts will kill you, so dont mess around with it unless you know what oyu're doing.

  6. #5
    Kik
    Kik is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    34

    Re: HID lights

    Quote Originally Posted by hrpatel17926 View Post
    KIK,

    My hunch is yours did not some with HID therefore no relay, ballast or HID bulb. hence if you put a relay in it, it probably will not do anything because there is no Ballast.

    Now, your new kit should have come with bulbs and a ballast, some of those kits come with an optional relay for more power or if you have a hi/low bulb also requires a relay. Many cheaper systems do not show you the positive and negative wires so you have to figure them out on your own then push them into a connector that should plug directly into the factory bulb harness. Is that what you did?

    If yes then did you verify the correct polarity? many times the bulb will work but at a lower power, once powered up correctly usually there will be a day and night difference of brightness from the factory bulb and the HID system.

    I would check polarity and check with your HID ballast MFG and see if there is a relay required for more power to the ballasts. Also try connecting them directly to 12v and see if they power up, DONT touch the bulb with your fingers.

    Good Luck.
    The relay was already existing in the fuse panel under the hood. These are only low beam HID's. The ballasts were already wired from the factory, I just plugged them in. I was just assuming everything would be wired correctly from the factory. I'll have to remove the system over the weekend and look it over. I am guessing The HID relay in the fuse panel is already wired also I'll put a DVM on it and see if there is power to it. If there is should I assume some one already wired the car or should I then look for some ballasts some place near the headlights??

  7. #6
    SHORTSTACK's Avatar
    SHORTSTACK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS 3.6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    York, South Carolina
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: HID lights

    Quote Originally Posted by Kik View Post
    The relay was already existing in the fuse panel under the hood. These are only low beam HID's. The ballasts were already wired from the factory, I just plugged them in. I was just assuming everything would be wired correctly from the factory. I'll have to remove the system over the weekend and look it over. I am guessing The HID relay in the fuse panel is already wired also I'll put a DVM on it and see if there is power to it. If there is should I assume some one already wired the car or should I then look for some ballasts some place near the headlights??
    Did you bulbs look like this when you installed them?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OSRAM-D1...f0b7a9&vxp=mtr

    Or this?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-HID-bulbs-...d9d700&vxp=mtr

    Also, 03-07 all had projectors for the low beams. So they werent installed, they came as original equiptment. So im not understanding why you said you had them installed. If your bulbs look like the first link i sent, you have factory hid's. If not, then you have halogen bulbs, which are a 9006 in hid. You are saying you installed a hid kit, you paid 120.00 for it. That doesnt tell us much. Whats the brand of kit you bought, you just bought them so you should have a reciept. Where did you get them and what kind of warranty do they hold?

  8. #7
    Kik
    Kik is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    34

    Re: HID lights

    Quote Originally Posted by SHORTSTACK View Post
    Did you bulbs look like this when you installed them?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OSRAM-D1...f0b7a9&vxp=mtr

    Or this?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-HID-bulbs-...d9d700&vxp=mtr

    Also, 03-07 all had projectors for the low beams. So they werent installed, they came as original equiptment. So im not understanding why you said you had them installed. If your bulbs look like the first link i sent, you have factory hid's. If not, then you have halogen bulbs, which are a 9006 in hid. You are saying you installed a hid kit, you paid 120.00 for it. That doesnt tell us much. Whats the brand of kit you bought, you just bought them so you should have a reciept. Where did you get them and what kind of warranty do they hold?
    Sorry I guess I didn't communicate very well. When I bought the car the projector lights were already there so they are OEM lights. The HID relay in the fuse block was also already there. That's why I got a little confused Projector lights with HID relay didn't make sense to me. The HID's that my son bought, ( I found the brand) Kitsui they are 9006 8k bulbs. they look like the second link you posted. This system was completely plug and go. one wire plugged in the OEM light socket and the other plugged into the HID with ballast in between the two. I didn't have to cut or splice any wires and you couldn't get the connectors switched around because they wouldn't plug into each other if you did. I went to the Kitsui website but it's useless, one page with no links posted for support or anything else. It had an email address at the bottom. I emailed the guy, no response. What I have determined is that this is a cheap garbage kit from Japan. I also found out that once the temps rise above 30 degrees that the lights work fine, once it gets below that into the 20's the left light will not work, turning off and back on doesn't work either but after driving for awhile then I notice the light has come on at some point, I figured maybe engine heat let the ballast start working. These lights came with a one year warranty. The place he bought them from won't honor it, my son called them. So, I'll either look for a decent setup for the car or I'll find new head light assemblies. The whole reason I even installed the HID's were because the previous owner did something to the headlight lenses. He must have used a chemical cleaner or something and it basically clouded them over and you can feel they are not smooth. I tried the lens restore kits and they didn't even help a little. I fear that the chemical or whatever it was ate into the plastic so much, if I try to sand them it will just make it worse. So any suggestions will be much appreciated, on new light assemblies, aftermarket assemblies, or a decent HID system. Thanks for all the input from you guys, I really do appreciate it.

  9. #8
    SHORTSTACK's Avatar
    SHORTSTACK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS 3.6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    York, South Carolina
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: HID lights

    It has been 24 here a few times, hid's on both my vehicles come on fine. Check your wiring. Something may have came loose. If the company that sold you the hid's wont stand behind the warranty, try to contact the manufacturer.... If that doesnt work, file a claim with whatever bank/ credit card company that you used. Dont worry about the hid relay. As long as you have a low and high beam fuse, you should be fine. If anything, remove the realy! You dont have factory hid's so you dont need it there. Can you post a pic of the headlights and post them for us to look at? What restore kit did you use? I agree that the website for your kit is useless..... Try to email them agaian, FRANK@TRU-ENTERPRISES.NET. It could also be your ballast. It may be bad. But as i said, check your wiring.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting