Buying first 03 CTS, NEED HELP!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By josney
  • 2 Post By chrisbooth08
  • 2 Post By josney
  • 2 Post By chrisbooth08
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Buying first 03 CTS, NEED HELP!!! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Just joined the site as I've been cruising the posts the past couple days. Was such a big fan I ...
    chrisbooth08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Buying first 03 CTS, NEED HELP!!!

Just joined the site as I've been cruising the posts the past couple days. Was such a big fan I wanted to join! I'm thinking of pulling the trigger and purchasing a new (old) 03 CTS as a third vehicle here in Northern Indiana. It has 81k miles and a low asking price $4,700. Any advice, tips or tricks to the first generation CTS I should know about that maybe I haven't read already? What type of air intake system should I go with? Borla, Magnaflow or other exhaust system? Any advice I could receive would be much appreciated, thank you for this great site forum for the CTS!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: Buying first 03 CTS, NEED HELP!!!

The '03 CTS has a 3.2L Opel motor and about all you can do for it is two aspirins and lots of rest.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Teedoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS Base
    The 03 (3.2L) CTS can be a headache when it comes to repairs. So I hope you're ready for whatever it throws at you like the valve cover gaskets, ECM, PCV, check engine light due to phantom codes, and more.
    Best exhaust in my opinion would be the Borla and CAI would be a custom one or Volant.

I've read on RSM Racings supercharger for the 3.2L 03' CTS. Still no luck pairing that with a Borla exhaust and Volant intake?

rodrigo23 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS, 2011 CTS Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbooth08 View Post
    I've read on RSM Racings supercharger for the 3.2L 03' CTS. Still no luck pairing that with a Borla exhaust and Volant intake?
    I bought my 03 a year or two ago... So far I have replaced the axel/bearings , and right now going through trouble with the thermostat-
    Another heads up the thermostat change is $600 and spark plugs is about the same price..

josney is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigo23 View Post
    I bought my 03 a year or two ago... So far I have replaced the axel/bearings , and right now going through trouble with the thermostat-
    Another heads up the thermostat change is $600 and spark plugs is about the same price..
    i know of a way to save you about $560 bucks on the sparkplugs.....do them yourself. there are plenty of threads on this forum to guide you through the change. hell, for that matter, most of the repairs are on here. the only stuff i have had done by a machanic are things i just didnt want to deal with at the time.
    Argent1 and Argent1 like this.

Georgous is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 2003 3.2 L 4 door Standard Transmission

Have reputable dealer mechanic fine tooth the car to know what u r into! then surf for best advice re:aftermatket parts, do it yourself projects etc. Have 03 6 spd standard fully loaded best car Ive ever owned with lil maintenace aside from paint, waterpump, new headlamps (visual improvement along with V series Chrome grill) * driveshaft front gromet or whatever they call it also replaced! Good luck great cars will get 300 K with proper maintenace. 150 KM and going strong only 1 tune up just done.

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by josney View Post
    i know of a way to save you about $560 bucks on the sparkplugs.....do them yourself. there are plenty of threads on this forum to guide you through the change. hell, for that matter, most of the repairs are on here. the only stuff i have had done by a machanic are things i just didnt want to deal with at the time.
    Ya ! What he said. Most of the repairs rodrigo got screwed for was because he needs to skill up. Plugs are very simple, and he paid $100 + for cabin filter. The filter is only $15-$20 bucks & very easy to change. If you have even a small amount of mechanical skill & ability to learn, you can save tons of money. Plus you have the guys on here to help you.

I'm a DIY'er and the Mrs. and I split our time between Northern IN (Chicago area) and Houston, TX. In the pole barn here in Northern IN I've recently installed a MaxJax portable lift that I anchored in place. My other toys stay in Houston and my wife says I'm only allowed one "toy" here in IN. I've gotten rid of my old Saab Viggen and am thinking of replacing it with the 03 CTS. If I handled the Saab without the need of a Indy mechanic I think I can handle the CTS fairly well.

----------

The basic questions I have are more simple I suppose. Being in the north and dealing with lake effect snow what type of oil should I run? I've always operated my vehicles on 93 octane, I imagine this wont hurt a CTS correct?

----------

I've come across many CTS pages per a google search for CTS upgrades, accessories and such. Any site personal favorites for parts and accessories? Thanks again for all the feedback guys!

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

I fail to see what effect if any lake effect snow would have on oil choice.
    Just run what GM recommends. I run Mobil 1 5w30 all year.

josney is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

yeah, im not trying to bash rodrigo23, some people are ok with paying someone to do the work. i was "worried" at first about some of these repairs, but this forum really helps. example, timing belt replacement. there is an awesome write-up with photos to help guide you through. the guy even gave part numbers for the stuff he used. this same write-up shows sparkplugs and the thermostat. most in-depth i have seen was the heater core swap. hell, i would have considered trading the car before attempting that swap, but this guys did and had detailed photos. just my 2 cents worth.

The cold weather is all I'm referring too. I ran 5w30 in the other vehicles I have here in IN. Was just curious is all. But I'm glad to get the 5w30 answer! Thank you!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.