Shift indicator lights problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Shift indicator lights problem in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; My shifter lights for P R N D etc. on floor console for my 2004 have an intermittent problem. Most ...
    CTS-QC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS Luxury Sport

Shift indicator lights problem

My shifter lights for P R N D etc. on floor console for my 2004 have an intermittent problem. Most of the time they don't light up, but occasionally they do. It is completely random. There has to be a loose connection somewhere. Has anybody had experience taking this apart? Is it something that is easy to put back together or is it tough and there a serious risk of making things worse?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Shift indicator lights problem

Nobody has had this problem? Pages 2-29 to 2-30 give instructions on how to access shift-lock release by lifting the shift boot, but doesn't say anything about putting it back together. At least the Park indicator always lights up when I put it in park. There is power to it, but shorts out most of the time for the other indicators.

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    I would remove the middle console and look at the connector that goes to lights for the shifter. I haven't done it myself but I don't think getting to the connector would be all that hard. Follow the steps for removal and getting it back together shouldn't be too hard.

CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
    It's stupid simple to remove the whole middle console. You got 4 bolts that are loosed with a twisty wrench (whatever they're called). 2 of the bolts are behind the front two seats hidden by little plastic covers the size of quarters. Pop those off and loosen the bolts. Then lift up and peel carpet away from up near the front. Underneath that there will be two more bolts up near the shifter on the sides. Take those off. Then pull up on the leather shifter cover the way the manual says, and pull the whole console up.

Did it the other week and it takes 30 minutes max if you are totally just figuring everything out as you go along like I was. 5 min if I went back today to do it. You shouldn't break anything...

ss4cts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS /04 /3.6

Search thread, it is common issue, bad instrument panel, try hitting on top and your lights will go on and off

I took out the shift boot, felt down underneath and tried wiggling the wires and connectors but this had no effect. If it's a bad instrument panel, I guess the only way to fix that is to try to find another one at the scrappers and hope that it's good.

----------

I took out the shift boot, felt down underneath and tried wiggling the wires and connectors but this had no effect. Like other posters, either I take it out and hope to find a cold solder joint, find one at the scrappers, or shell out 125 bucks for a new one. Thanks for info on how to take out the middle console. Too bad GM didn't do a recall on this.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Recalls are only on items related to safety.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.