Sears Auto Refused to work on changing a thermostat???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Sears Auto Refused to work on changing a thermostat??? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So i called a couple shops and every shop gave me the same price quote ( around $430 parts and ...
    rodrigo23 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS, 2011 CTS Coupe

Sears Auto Refused to work on changing a thermostat???

So i called a couple shops and every shop gave me the same price quote ( around $430 parts and labor) to have my thermostat changed - I chose to go to sears auto because it is located inside the mall, Its a 4 hour job so i figure i could watch a movie or walk the mall waiting-

Well after 20 min they call me back in and apologize that they cannot work on a northstar engine.

I have gone to this same shop for new tires, oil change every estimated time needed, Rear hubs changed... Pretty much all my work in my time living in indiana- I am very disappointing-

I called a cadillac dealer who will charge the same amount and time or whatever but ill have to wait until monday.

Another question... Since the dealer will have everything open and apart will it make sense to get the spark plugs changed or anything else?

A estimate by themselves was around $400 but if they already take everything apart to get to the thermostat would they double charge to change the plugs? If not is there anything else i should get done thats convenient to the area?

CLIFFS-
    -Sears rejected doing a thermostat change after prev calling and verifying on the phone
    -Called Caddy dealer setup appt
    -same $$$ same amount of time
    -Can i get plugs changed since already in the area or will they charge more?

----------

2003 cadillac cts

----------

2003 cts

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    That's funny, because no CTS has a North Star engine. Not even the V-8.

KOT

Re: Sears Auto Refused to work on changing a thermostat???

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    That's funny, because no CTS has a North Star engine. Not even the V-8.

KOT
    KOTC, Please excuse me not knowing anything about cars... My family in TX used to be my mechanic lol, Ive moved to INDY and have no personal advise it sucks -

I was just laughing at the "mechanics" at Sears telling you that they don't work on N* engines. I understand that you won't know, hence why you take it to a shop.

KOT

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    I was just laughing at the "mechanics" at Sears telling you that they don't work on N* engines. I understand that you won't know, hence why you take it to a shop.

KOT
    Oh i know right?? Crazy - Youd think they would know- Well gonna take it to the dealer here monday- Do you think they will double charge for labor to do the plugs also?

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigo23 View Post
    Oh i know right?? Crazy - Youd think they would know- Well gonna take it to the dealer here monday- Do you think they will double charge for labor to do the plugs also?
    yes, because that is a separate job.
    thermostat is something insane like 6 hrs labor..plugs i think are rated at 8hours

Quote Originally Posted by ghettomike

yes, because that is a separate job.
    thermostat is something insane like 6 hrs labor..plugs i think are rated at 8hours
    8 hours for plugs? Wtf for on the 3.2? At least they don't have to remove the upper intake like they do on the 2.8/3.6.

Heck, they have to remove the upper intake on the 3.2 for the thermostat. Right?

KOT

off the top of my head...
    T-Stat:
    intake manifold is the easy part...its the fuel lines you have to take out to get at it that hard.

plugs the manifold comes off, passenger side the ecu slows you down, then again fuel lines blocking you from taking out the 1 coil pack (1 pack does each bank)
    driver side is easier.
    the passenger side coil pack is rated at a longer time than driver side.

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
    I don't know who quoted you 8 hours for plugs, but they are WAY off their rocker. Alldata books .5 hrs for left bank and 1.5 hrs for right bank. So I hope you didn't pay for 8 hours. The only vehicle I've ever seen come close to 8 hours is Ford's Tritons that like to pull threads from the head and you have to rethread the spark plug openings in the head.

Also, What else could have gone bad with a bad thermostat? i want to be ready for a mid job add on that usually happens from the dealership... "oh and this needs to be replaced too because blah blah"

Gm warenty and shop manuals list 8 hrs for plugs...no I didn't pay that.

As for the t-stat it could be a t-stat housing, gasket, hoses, and possibly a temp sensor.

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

Btw, what's the symptom? Is it throwing a code?

Sometime when you try to remove the hose from the plastic radiator, it cracks. That may be another surprise.

GM warranty is 1.0 for right bank and .3 for left. Manufacturer never elots more for warranty than book time. As for the thermostat, GM had a lot of issues right around the 2003 era for not allowing the engine to warm up to operating temp. I did my thermostat last winter right around this time, and I've done more thermostats on GM's at my shop in the last 2 weeks than I have fingers.

ngoodnight01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS

Don't be surprised if the coils break when they come out of the valve cover. I have had many that try to be come one with the valve cover and then break when they try to separate them.

Really don't have that issue with the 3.2's, especially if your valve covers are leaking.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.