Broken wheel studs
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By AAIIIC
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Broken wheel studs in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I broke my wheel studs today, well one, and was thinking how much is it to replace ALL 20 of ...
    Warlord_187 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS

Broken wheel studs

I broke my wheel studs today, well one, and was thinking how much is it to replace ALL 20 of them? i wanted to go with extended ARP studs instead because i feel like my studs are a bit sensitive and i got some on my car that look like they're starting to strip.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: Broken wheel studs

Extended ARP studs would be overkill. That's assuming you could find some that are a direct fit for the CTS hubs, which isn't very likely.

What lug nuts are you using? What are you torquing the lug nuts to? How do you actually tighten and torque your lug nuts? For a typical street car, that maybe sees the wheels on and off the car a couple times per year (winter/summer tire swaps, brake maintenance), there should be zero issues with the wheel studs unless the lug nuts are garbage or the technique used to install them is wrong.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

VaderWS6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Were you running a stock wheel?

well i have aftermarket wheels that are heavy plus before this occurred i put on some different lug nuts which i noticed weren't screwing on correctly even though they are the correct pattern. so i decided to remove them and noticed they were stripping a little. i put on my old lug nuts by hand and boom broke a stud. reason why i wanted arp bolts was because i need some stronger more reliable ones since i don't have the stock rims.

You don't need ARP studs, you need quality lug nuts. Heavy wheels don't put any more stress on properly torqued lug nuts than light wheels do.
    ghettomike and ghettomike like this.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Yea I guess I shouldn't tighten them too much as well, I have no idea how much to torque since I do it by hand.

Buy a torque wrench, save yourself some future trouble.

And my guess is you can't buy replacement studs; you'll probably have to guy new hubs. Which corner of the car has the broken stud?

For those that haven't broken yet, in addition to buying good lug nuts (McGard, Gorilla, OEM, not the cheapass Ebay stuff), you should clean up the threads so you don't have more issues. A thread restorer kit like this one is what you want. Do not use a regular die on the wheel studs - dies are designed to cut new threads, so they can actually make the situation worse if you have damaged threads. The thread chaser set I posted a link to has chaser dies that will clean up the existing threads. I have that set and it has come in handy many, many times. Not saying you need to buy that kit, but a 12mm-1.5 thread chaser to fix up the damaged threads on the other wheel studs would be a good idea.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Buy a torque wrench, save yourself some future trouble.

And my guess is you can't buy replacement studs; you'll probably have to guy new hubs. Which corner of the car has the broken stud?

For those that haven't broken yet, in addition to buying good lug nuts (McGard, Gorilla, OEM, not the cheapass Ebay stuff), you should clean up the threads so you don't have more issues. A thread restorer kit like this one is what you want. Do not use a regular die on the wheel studs - dies are designed to cut new threads, so they can actually make the situation worse if you have damaged threads. The thread chaser set I posted a link to has chaser dies that will clean up the existing threads. I have that set and it has come in handy many, many times. Not saying you need to buy that kit, but a 12mm-1.5 thread chaser to fix up the damaged threads on the other wheel studs would be a good idea.
    ya you can buy replacements, i had a friend crossthread one on mine when he was helping with a tire change.
    i think they are about $3 each @ the dealership...i changed them all out on my truck, i had a few break on them when tightening the lugs once, and i was no where near the torque spec..
    if you over tighten them you stretch the stud, then loosening weakens it more..repeat a few times and little by little it will wear out then snap.
    i think the bodyshop used a impact gun on my truck tires

Alright cool thanks for the replies

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Basically we are saying buy a torque wrench.
    To get the studs out you line them up and hammer then backwards, I think the rears you have to take the hub off, I can't remember off hand. And to put then back in just use washers as spacers and pull then through as you tighten a bolt.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.