Antifreeze smell ? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Antifreeze smell ? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Glad to hear everything was resolved with the water pump replacement, kellerk23. To those who are also experiencing this: if ...
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Antifreeze smell ?

Glad to hear everything was resolved with the water pump replacement, kellerk23.

To those who are also experiencing this: if you would like for us to check into anything further for you, please don't hesitate to contact us via private message here on the forum or at katie_lucille@gmexpert.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a brief summary of the concern for Katie).

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
    Quote Originally Posted by Argent1
    You don't have a Timing Chain, BTW.
    Okay. Belt. 3.2 has the belt, 2.8 and 3.6 have the chains. I know...I've just never got up close and personal with them so I tend to easily interchange the two terms despite that surely being very incorrect as one is a rubber belt and another a metal chain...just seems like a technicality to me.

Anyway...

When getting the water pump and timing belt swapped, should I get the tensioner done too? My brother had his beloved Jetta VR6 destroyed when something with the tensioner failed around 110,000 miles. Kinda wanna avoid that unless it isn't usually a big concern on the 3.2L engine?

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Quote Originally Posted by CadillacAsAlways

Okay. Belt. 3.2 has the belt, 2.8 and 3.6 have the chains. I know...I've just never got up close and personal with them so I tend to easily interchange the two terms despite that surely being very incorrect as one is a rubber belt and another a metal chain...just seems like a technicality to me.

Anyway...

When getting the water pump and timing belt swapped, should I get the tensioner done too? My brother had his beloved Jetta VR6 destroyed when something with the tensioner failed around 110,000 miles. Kinda wanna avoid that unless it isn't usually a big concern on the 3.2L engine?
    My recommendation is to replace the timing belt, tensioners and Guides so you don't have to worry about it later on down the line. But I haven't heard much from 3.2 owners about timing belt failure.

You can check to see if they are worn once you are in there and pick some up from the dealer if you need it.

CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehaze07

My recommendation is to replace the timing belt, tensioners and Guides so you don't have to worry about it later on down the line. But I haven't heard much from 3.2 owners about timing belt failure.

You can check to see if they are worn once you are in there and pick some up from the dealer if you need it.
    Do you mean to say you haven't heard much about tensioner failure from the 3.2L owners? Because I thought timing belts going out was an issue with the 3.2 after 100,000 miles.
    Anyway thanks, ill definitely take that into consideration. Hopefully it's all being done this week.

arogers260 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury/Sport package

Do you mean to say you haven't heard much about tensioner failure from the 3.2L owners? Because I thought timing belts going out was an issue with the 3.2 after 100,000 miles.
    Anyway thanks, ill definitely take that into consideration. Hopefully it's all being done this week.
    I haven't heard or seen much about the timing belt failing for the 3.2 I'm at 140k on original belt still.

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS

Hmm...I'm assuming they are synonymous when both issues will kill your engine lol. If you are not concerned about the belt, then leave the belt on if it looks good, then, Change out the tensioner without having to worry about the timing marks being reset correctly on your engine (the timing chain DIY with the million pictures helped make sense of the two guides all data had for the 3.6).

My mechanic and i agreed that the chain looked serviceable when we were in there but I changed it along with the guides and tensioners as a preventative measure .

jran0823 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
    Just check the timing belt tensioners and idlers when you do the belt. I felt all of mine when I replaced the belt and no issues. Just rotate slowly feeling for binding, looseness, or dead spots in the bearings.

Must9450 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Diamond White 06 CTS

Glad you got it fixed. I have an 06 Cts 3.6 with 40000 miles and had the exact same problems.Just replaced the water pump. Very easy to do.

H2K
    H2K is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6

Is the water pump leak noticeable?
    does it leave a puddle on the floor?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.