hid lights
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, hid lights in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Ok so i just replaced my little triangle lights with some leds and i also added strip leds in the ...
  1. #1
    Jaxle67's Avatar
    Jaxle67 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    savannah ga
    Posts
    95

    hid lights

    Ok so i just replaced my little triangle lights with some leds and i also added strip leds in the lower grill. They look very nice but doesn't match headlights at all. My question is can you install aftermarket hids in the stock headlight housing if the car came with regular halogens. I'm sure its been covered before but I'll give it a try. Thanks Jesse

    ----------


  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Bluehaze07's Avatar
    Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxle67
    Ok so i just replaced my little triangle lights with some leds and i also added strip leds in the lower grill. They look very nice but doesn't match headlights at all. My question is can you install aftermarket hids in the stock headlight housing if the car came with regular halogens. I'm sure its been covered before but I'll give it a try. Thanks Jesse

    ----------
    Yes. Ddmtuning.com is where i got my set or use a vendor from the forum for HIDs. use this link to verify which bulb you need https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/appli...s/lrgmain.aspx it will be the bulb replacement guide.

    Finally. Make sure you research this a bit (forum search or even google) if you plan to install this yourself. Be prepared to take the bumper off.


  4. #3
    Jaxle67's Avatar
    Jaxle67 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    savannah ga
    Posts
    95
    thanks for the reply. Ive looked into a few kits and ive decided on a 6000k kit. I am very mechanically inclined and should have no problems with the bumper or wiring. I just was wondering was it a drop in installation our did you have to modify the stock headlight housing. I've owned some cars that were quite difficult to work on but I've never seen one that you have to go through so much for something a simple as a light change. What color are your hids? Do you have them high and low beams? How about the fogs? Jesse

  5. #4
    Bluehaze07's Avatar
    Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxle67
    thanks for the reply. Ive looked into a few kits and ive decided on a 6000k kit. I am very mechanically inclined and should have no problems with the bumper or wiring. I just was wondering was it a drop in installation our did you have to modify the stock headlight housing. I've owned some cars that were quite difficult to work on but I've never seen one that you have to go through so much for something a simple as a light change. What color are your hids? Do you have them high and low beams? How about the fogs? Jesse
    No problem. I originally had 6000k HIDs for my lows too but, I recently swapped headlights and changed to 8,000k. I don't see much of a difference in color. I have 8,000k HIDs in my fogs too. I don't have a pic with both on though. The only mod to the housing would be a 1" hole in the dust cap to route the wires through.

  6. #5
    CadillacAsAlways's Avatar
    CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehaze07

    No problem. I originally had 6000k HIDs for my lows too but, I recently swapped headlights and changed to 8,000k. I don't see much of a difference in color. I have 8,000k HIDs in my fogs too. I don't have a pic with both on though. The only mod to the housing would be a 1" hole in the dust cap to route the wires through.
    Would you describe the 6000k as a pure white with a slight bluish tint, or is it distinctly a blue shade? I'm looking for the first, since im going after the Audi/BMW/2nd gen CTS color HIDs.

  7. #6
    SHORTSTACK's Avatar
    SHORTSTACK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS 3.6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    York, South Carolina
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: hid lights

    5k would be the purest of white. Its a plug and play system and DO NOT go to ddm, their customer service is not worth the hassle of their prices at all. Clearview is where i got mine, (i had ddm until they wanted the entire set up, ballast, bulb and wiring for a bulb warranty claim). I have had no problems with them ever since. you will not have to modify any part of the housing to get them to fit properly.

  8. #7
    josney's Avatar
    josney is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,986

    Re: hid lights

    6000k is not pure white, they have a slight blue tint. i have 4300k now and they are pretty frickin white

  9. #8
    CadillacAsAlways's Avatar
    CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    660
    Okay, so I'm thinking I'm leaning towards closer to 5000k then. What about the lights that come with aftermarket headlight sets? I was looking at a set of halo CCFL headlights since my current ones are also hazy, and the halos look great. But are the HID kits that come with these aftermarket headlights total junk? Or what?

  10. #9
    Bluehaze07's Avatar
    Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by CadillacAsAlways
    Okay, so I'm thinking I'm leaning towards closer to 5000k then. What about the lights that come with aftermarket headlight sets? I was looking at a set of halo CCFL headlights since my current ones are also hazy, and the halos look great. But are the HID kits that come with these aftermarket headlights total junk? Or what?
    5000k will give you more of a factory hid light output. The HID kit that came with the ccfl headlights are 8000k H7 bulb HIDs and I haven't had a problem so far. They are the ones pictured. My fogs are 8000k also and they match. Check out my thread of my headlight swap to get a better look at the kit and the headlight. I believe the HIDs included a inline resistor too. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...install-2.html

  11. #10
    SHORTSTACK's Avatar
    SHORTSTACK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS 3.6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    York, South Carolina
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: hid lights

    As i said before, the more (higher kelvin temp) the less actual light output. Color = less ability to cast a shadow. At night shadows is what we count on for visibility... Id rather be able to see shyt at night then look cool.
    Argent1 and Argent1 like this.

  12. #11
    Bluehaze07's Avatar
    Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by SHORTSTACK
    As i said before, the more (higher kelvin temp) the less actual light output. Color = less ability to cast a shadow. At night shadows is what we count on for visibility... Id rather be able to see shyt at night then look cool.
    ^^Wurd^^

  13. #12
    SHORTSTACK's Avatar
    SHORTSTACK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS 3.6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    York, South Carolina
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: hid lights

    But then again I live in the country and its pretty dark. The blue lights look good, I might change them eventually and put 100w hid's in the high beams. That would be plenty of light at night.

  14. #13
    Bluehaze07's Avatar
    Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by SHORTSTACK
    But then again I live in the country and its pretty dark. The blue lights look good, I might change them eventually and put 100w hid's in the high beams. That would be plenty of light at night.
    I had a friend that had 75w HIDs on his truck. they were super bright. I almost thought the sun came back up...I wonder what the 100w HIDS would look like.

  15. #14
    SHORTSTACK's Avatar
    SHORTSTACK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS 3.6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    York, South Carolina
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: hid lights

    When i gt them ill let you know. I might change the fogs and lows to a 55 watt. My wife is complaining that she cant see that good at night.

  16. #15
    josney's Avatar
    josney is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,986

    Re: hid lights

    100w hids: attached image
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting