Factory Sub
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Factory Sub in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I was thinking of changing the factory sub on my 06 to a better quality aftermarket sub. Problem is, I've ...
    Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package

Factory Sub

I was thinking of changing the factory sub on my 06 to a better quality aftermarket sub. Problem is, I've been thru many cars and many stereos, an we all know that sometimes when you opt for a "better" speaker it doesn't sound as good as the factory even tho its twice the speaker. I'm not looking for a crazy stereo. So, those of you who have changed it....does it sound better? If not, I was thinking of getting just a 10" self powered bass cannon. Something small that can be removed with ease. Is it an easy job to piggy back off of the factory amp to get power and remote to the cannon?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SHORTSTACK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS 3.6

Re: Factory Sub

Check the faq's and search function. This has been covered a billion times....

The oem sub sucks. Remove it. Anything will sound better.
    Kingoftypos and Kingoftypos like this.

ejn
    ejn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

I'm not sure it will sound that much better. I wanted some more bass before I installed my new stereo so I added my sub using the high level input. I got more bass but it was exactly the same frequency as the factory sub. I really wanted to add lower frequencies rather than just more bass. I tapped the connection from the sub, right at the sub speaker terminals.

Maybe you can tap further upstream before the lower frequencies are cut out but I don't know if that is possible.

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    I see what you are saying. I never thought of that. I guess keeping the 10" factory and adding maybe a 12" bass cannon or sub and amp would get the lower frequencies.

praprestoabi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6
    If you don't mind using a little trunk space you could never go wrong with a 10 or 12 with a box in the back!

I got two 12 jl w0's and let me say "bumping"

josney is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

i had an amplified bazooka and it sounded a helluva lot better than stock.
    many mods \m/ \m/

Quote Originally Posted by ejn View Post
    I'm not sure it will sound that much better. I wanted some more bass before I installed my new stereo so I added my sub using the high level input. I got more bass but it was exactly the same frequency as the factory sub. I really wanted to add lower frequencies rather than just more bass. I tapped the connection from the sub, right at the sub speaker terminals.

Maybe you can tap further upstream before the lower frequencies are cut out but I don't know if that is possible.
    Further up stream? Jesus Christ, tell me you're joking? The factory bose amp puts out an odd ohm resistance, mine for the sub is 6.5 ohms on a single voice coil oem sub. I bought a jl audio clean sweep and installed a jl 250/1 amp along with a 10" sub. You will not, ever get anything out of the factory system. Its junk with the name bose on it. If you are looking for a low frequency, get a 15" sub. They handle the low, lows.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
    I see what you are saying. I never thought of that. I guess keeping the 10" factory and adding maybe a 12" bass cannon or sub and amp would get the lower frequencies.
    Ditch the factory sub, its a pile of steaming dog shyt. Install an amp and a sub. Might as well change the door speakers to. I changed everything with fosgate mids, cerwin vega sub and it sounds much better then the bose crap that was in it.

tell us how you really feel SHORTSTACK. but he is correct, all the factory is CRAP
    SHORTSTACK and SHORTSTACK like this.
    many mods \m/ \m/

Quote Originally Posted by josney View Post
    tell us how you really feel SHORTSTACK. but he is correct, all the factory is CRAP
    Hows that tint coming along? lmao......

Tlorenzen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack

Quote Originally Posted by SHORTSTACK View Post
    Ditch the factory sub, its a pile of steaming dog shyt.
    Isn't steaming dog shit pretty fresh?

I wen't with 2 12" subs. Only on 460watts max, but sounds a lot better than the stock sub. Now I just need to get rid of it so it quits ratteling. Any1 done this??

Also SHORT, how to the infiniti kappas compare to the fosgate mids? I'm thinking about doing the mids sometime in the nearish future, as I have one completly blown, and one on its way haha. Did you change the factory amp too or is it not worth messing with

praprestoabi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Tlorenzen

I wen't with 2 12" subs. Only on 460watts max, but sounds a lot better than the stock sub. Now I just need to get rid of it so it quits ratteling. Any1 done this??

Also SHORT, how to the infiniti kappas compare to the fosgate mids? I'm thinking about doing the mids sometime in the nearish future, as I have one completly blown, and one on its way haha. Did you change the factory amp too or is it not worth messing with
    Get rid of what? The rattling noise? The trunk shaking?

Tlorenzen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack

No, my stock sub.. my bandpass box has ports in the top which happen to be right beloe the stock sub. This has basically destroyed the integrity of it..and now it rattles even if I have my 12's turned off haha.

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Tlorenzen
    No, my stock sub.. my bandpass box has ports in the top which happen to be right beloe the stock sub. This has basically destroyed the integrity of it..and now it rattles even if I have my 12's turned off haha.
    You would have to remove the sail panels, get the rear seat back/headrests out the way then remove the rear deck to get to it. I haven't removed mine so I don't know if there are torx nut, Phillips... Mounting the sub to the rear deck.

Quote Originally Posted by SHORTSTACK View Post
    Hows that tint coming along? lmao......
    shouldnt you be directing traffic?
    SHORTSTACK and SHORTSTACK like this.
    many mods \m/ \m/

Quote Originally Posted by Tlorenzen View Post

I have no idea about the infinity speakers at all. I put 6.5 component set in the front doors and 5" mid bass drivers in the rears. Ill probably be changing everything out to cadence.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.