New 03 CTS 5 speed, owner...with few questions, fixes, concerns
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, New 03 CTS 5 speed, owner...with few questions, fixes, concerns in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; just bought over the weekend, and its kind of a fixer upper...mechanically anyways. just had a few questions on a ...
    uncledon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts 5 speed

New 03 CTS 5 speed, owner...with few questions, fixes, concerns

just bought over the weekend, and its kind of a fixer upper...mechanically anyways. just had a few questions on a few certain problem areas i see. im a car guy, usually a muscle car guy but i like to do things myself within reason....
    Subject Matter: 2003 Cadillac CTS 5 speed, dark blue, tan leather 3.2L. 156,000 hwy miles

1. It has a gold front cadillac emblem in grill, gold CTS letters on trunk, gold brake calipers, gold on outside of rotors...is this all factory? i can't find anything on it...guy i bought it from said it was all factory. but you know how that can go... the letters and the emblem look it but rotors and calipers?

2. speaking of rotors, i need to replace the front rotors, they are vibrating bad...is this pretty straight forward? like most other cars...couple of bolts here and there, pope off the calipers and wallahh... i was asked at parts store if i have F1 or F2 suspension...apparently this makes a difference when buying them. price wise.

3. it has a pretty bad oil leak, burning it off, its running down the back of the engine looks like and coming from passenger side valve cover(crossing my fingers) and running down the oil pan, it leaves pretty good spot in my driveway overnight.. anything other than valve cover gaskets common on these cars i need to look for oil leak wise?

4. there is water dripping from center of car, like more torward the area where block and trans bolt up...right in center of car, but its water, no anitfreeze, just water... any clue to this?? dripping pretty good, i notice it when i stop in town somewhere for a short time it leaves a puddle....

5. i need rear trunk shocks/struts...but they dont look factory, i was told there was two different sizes, 11" and 11 1/2"?? really? will either work or? how do i measure to know? center of eyelit to eyelit? or?

6. shifter knob is loose...side to side a bit and rattles when your driving if you dont keep your hand on it. anyway to tighten this up? its just annoying more than anything, doesnt hurt driveability.

oh and HI. love the site. for the most part love the car..just need to tidy up a few loose ends on her and roll on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    Quote Originally Posted by uncledon
    just bought over the weekend, and its kind of a fixer upper...mechanically anyways. just had a few questions on a few certain problem areas i see. im a car guy, usually a muscle car guy but i like to do things myself within reason....
    Subject Matter: 2003 Cadillac CTS 5 speed, dark blue, tan leather 3.2L. 156,000 hwy miles

1. It has a gold front cadillac emblem in grill, gold CTS letters on trunk, gold brake calipers, gold on outside of rotors...is this all factory? i can't find anything on it...guy i bought it from said it was all factory. but you know how that can go... the letters and the emblem look it but rotors and calipers?

2. speaking of rotors, i need to replace the front rotors, they are vibrating bad...is this pretty straight forward? like most other cars...couple of bolts here and there, pope off the calipers and wallahh... i was asked at parts store if i have F1 or F2 suspension...apparently this makes a difference when buying them. price wise.

3. it has a pretty bad oil leak, burning it off, its running down the back of the engine looks like and coming from passenger side valve cover(crossing my fingers) and running down the oil pan, it leaves pretty good spot in my driveway overnight.. anything other than valve cover gaskets common on these cars i need to look for oil leak wise?

4. there is water dripping from center of car, like more torward the area where block and trans bolt up...right in center of car, but its water, no anitfreeze, just water... any clue to this?? dripping pretty good, i notice it when i stop in town somewhere for a short time it leaves a puddle....

5. i need rear trunk shocks/struts...but they dont look factory, i was told there was two different sizes, 11" and 11 1/2"?? really? will either work or? how do i measure to know? center of eyelit to eyelit? or?

6. shifter knob is loose...side to side a bit and rattles when your driving if you dont keep your hand on it. anyway to tighten this up? its just annoying more than anything, doesnt hurt driveability.

oh and HI. love the site. for the most part love the car..just need to tidy up a few loose ends on her and roll on.
    1. I would bet my car the gold calipers were painted. So, they can be repainted. If you don't like the gold emblems and door handles they can all be replaced or painted fairly easy and cheap.

2. Sounds like the rotors are warped. Yes, easy to change. Remove wheel, and caliper and remove rotor. Look under your spare tire cover and take a pic of the codes. Your suspension code will be under there. Someone else here will know the code you need to look for.

3. The 3.2 is bad for valve cover gaskets leaking. Fairly easy fix!

4. Not too sure where you live but the water could be from the A/C. Not too sure where the condensation comes from the A/C on these.

5. If there are 2 different sizes then yes, you need the right one! Not too sure how to measure. If they are shot, take on off and size it up with a new one.

Not too sure bout the shifter. Might be a bad shifter bushing.

----------

Oh, welcome to the site and to the Caddy world!!! Enjoy and do some reading and searching for all your issues!!

CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White

1) Yuck. I hate gold in most cases. I think KOT or something had a blue chip that looked alright with gold but otherwise...ew.

5) Yes. I know exactly what you're talking about. When I got my 03 I needed to replace the trunk shocks too. Go to autozone or advanced auto and check with them. They just ordered both size sets for me, then I pulled the old strut off my trunk, brought it into the store and it was obvious which one i need. About $50 total I think, maybe less.

6) My shifter knob is loose to on mine. Not side to side, but it just sorta twists easily. Same issue as you though...most just an annoyance. I asked earlier on here if it can be tightened and no one really knew.
    To clarify(for Blayne): it is -NOT- the actual shifter that has an issue. The actual shifter is firm and solid as could be. It's just the little plastic/wood trimmed knob with button that twists around.
    It makes the car feel sorta cheap and not solid, but isn't a real issue.

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    Quote Originally Posted by CadillacAsAlways

1) Yuck. I hate gold in most cases. I think KOT or something had a blue chip that looked alright with gold but otherwise...ew.

5) Yes. I know exactly what you're talking about. When I got my 03 I needed to replace the trunk shocks too. Go to autozone or advanced auto and check with them. They just ordered both size sets for me, then I pulled the old strut off my trunk, brought it into the store and it was obvious which one i need. About $50 total I think, maybe less.

6) My shifter knob is loose to on mine. Not side to side, but it just sorta twists easily. Same issue as you though...most just an annoyance. I asked earlier on here if it can be tightened and no one really knew.
    To clarify(for Blayne): it is -NOT- the actual shifter that has an issue. The actual shifter is firm and solid as could be. It's just the little plastic/wood trimmed knob with button that twists around.
    It makes the car feel sorta cheap and not solid, but isn't a real issue.
    Ok, I misunderstood the shifter issue. I thought the whole shifter was shaking because it was a standard. A loose shift knob would be annoying!

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
    The RPO you need to know for your brakes is if it had FE1,FE2 or FE3 suspension as well as JE1 or JE2 brakes. JE2 brakes is standard with the FE3 suspension which is the sport package on 03's. the only difference on the rotors is how they are vented. In 2003 all CTS' had 11.92" rotors but they were vented differently and the performance brakes were ceramic. As far as the valve cover gaskets there is a PCV update for these cars as they had issues with the OE setup, it isn't your traditional PCV set up as Cadillac used a closed PCV system. Just go to your local GM dealership and ask for the updated PCV for your CTS. It will come with new valve covers with gaskets but make sure you get the oil fill cap as they are different.

Re: New 03 CTS 5 speed, owner...with few questions, fixes, concerns

im starting to get a little paranoid now...and think i might be in over my head... called my local friend who owns a shop here in town, and asked about valve cover gaskets. he said last one they did ended up being an oil cooler leaking...and cost $$$ to fix it. what is best way for me to know for sure if its just the valve covers leaking or indeed a oil cooler issue..??? this is not turning out to be good.

3.2's are extremely common for valve cover gaskets, as well as the trans cooler lines on the radiator. Since yours is a manual you can consider yourself lucky.

arogers260 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury/Sport package

Mine also has water dripping down occasionally from the transmission area but it's coming from somewhere above it. Havent figured it out though, since its just water I'm not too concerned about it.

CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
    Quote Originally Posted by Blayne

Ok, I misunderstood the shifter issue. I thought the whole shifter was shaking because it was a standard. A loose shift knob would be annoying!
    Oh well then, I read "5 speed" and thought the 5 spd automatic which is what I have. I've got the auto and the little knob that has the silver button is wiggling around. Very very annoying but nothing is actually not working or in danger of breaking. Just cheap feeling.

But if he's got the manual then I could be wrong. I'm unfamiliar with the manual knob. Guess he'll have to clarify!

sorry yes its a "manual" 5 speed...got an extra pedal down there for something! lol... the knob wiggles side to side just kinda loose and cheap feeling... its tight up and down like i can't just "pop it off"...so it functions ok just a bother.....

i checked a little more on my leaks last night...leaving pretty good spots in my driveway. anyways, i have zero oil in my coolant reservoir, i have zero water in my oil...that all looks well. so maybe that is telling me its the valve cover gaskets. My only thoughts are shouldn't the only time valve cover gaskets leak is when im driving it and putting pressure on the system? which when im driving i get the burning oil smell inside the car. But when its parked within a few hours you can see puddles....where is all that coming from? does the design of these motors warrant oil just to leak out the valve covers and down onto the ground? im fine with that if you all tell me so...these new motors are sometimes over my head...

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Check under the spare tire cover to find the RPO list.
    That will tell you what brakes, suspension, etc. you should have.

NICE......my check engine light just came on...day i get it transferred into my name.

updates.... got my major oil leak fixed by replacing the valve cover gaskets. pretty happy that took care of most of the leak and burn smell. Now after clearing all the engine codes out at the shop, they come back on and this is what its telling me....

P0128c some kinda low coolant thermostat something
    P2008c IMRC soloneod control something
    U1000h Class 2 communication something...
    U1714h loss of front door motor something.. its working fine dunno what thats about..

anyone? i looked up these codes on here but really still not sure what there talking about. is my computer fried? the car rides and drives fine...but engine light come on after about 120 miles or so of driving...after shop cleared them out. any thoughts? ideas? any help would be greatly appreciated....

hello?

Replace thermostat and clear codes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.