Need Help/Advice Please! Finding 05 3.6L 6MT driveline parts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Need Help/Advice Please! Finding 05 3.6L 6MT driveline parts in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hi everyone, I have a 2005 CTS 3.6L with the 6-speed manual transmission that I bought used earlier this year. ...
    1990MoneyPit is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS FE3 3.6 6MT (Luxury/Sport)

Need Help/Advice Please! Finding 05 3.6L 6MT driveline parts

Hi everyone,

I have a 2005 CTS 3.6L with the 6-speed manual transmission that I bought used earlier this year. I love the car. But...

The driveline got progressively sloppy, noisy, and rough during the last couple months. I was getting clunks, clanks, and whines from the rear end, driveline bucking and a "slack" feeling, until one day my clutch pedal felt resistant to fully depress and wouldn't get into any gear even with the clutch down all the way.

It's now in the shop. The clutch has been replaced, but the weird noises and "slack" I was feeling turned out to be a worn out flywheel that has a ton of play (both side to side and back and forth) and driveshaft u-joint that is falling apart. The mechanic has mentioned nothing about any rear differential issues so I lucked out there at least.

Our problem is the difficulty of finding parts for this car. As many of you may know, this particular trim (3.6 + 6MT) is quite rare and I'm not exactly a mechanically inclined guy. I have a basic understanding, but for the most part I'm echoing what the mechanic has told me.

The driveshaft u-joint can be found nowhere, according to my mechanic, so he's sending it out to be machined.

This car uses an Aisin AY6 transmission. Does this mean the flywheel and driveshaft for this car would be different from an automatic CTS? Would it use the same flywheel and driveshaft as a Camaro 3.6 (uses the same Aisin tranny)? Would driveline parts from the old 2003-2004 CTS manual (Getrag) work? How about aftermarket?

The GM dealer wants almost $1k for a new flywheel alone, and that's my mechanic's "discounted" price (he gets all of his GM parts fron this particular dealer). Now along with the other issues I've had to fix during this one visit (clutch, new wheel to replace cracked one, front brake rotors), the car is slowly but surely depleting my bank account. Just in time for Christmas.

If you guys know of any suppliers, any parts from other cars that would work, or have any advice...please let me know. Thanks guys.

Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Thyine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS

Re: Need Help/Advice Please! Finding 05 3.6L 6MT driveline parts

There is no replacement for the u joint, but you should clarify with him if its the u joint or the flex disc, u joints dont tend to fail on these cars the flex discs (a different type of CV joint, your mech might just call it a u joint to simplify explanation) fail often but there are different repairs that are needed to remedy the issue. gmpartsdirect.com has the best prices online the flywheel is $340 but they add quite a bit for shipping the Dealership price is $575. The parts are not compatible with the auto or the Getrag they are all different.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Need Help/Advice Please! Finding 05 3.6L 6MT driveline parts

1990MoneyPit, I'm sorry you've been experiencing these frustrations! If you would like to involve the Customer Service team nearest you, then please don't hesitate to contact GM of Canada at 800-263-3777 (open M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST). Or, if you prefer online communication, you may find the following site helpful: http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/corporat...actus/overview.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.