Looking at buying a High Mileage 2003 CTS give me your opinions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Looking at buying a High Mileage 2003 CTS give me your opinions in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; There is a guy I know at my work selling a 2003 CTS, it has 179K on the clock, interior ...
    Jagoodin7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Question Looking at buying a High Mileage 2003 CTS give me your opinions

There is a guy I know at my work selling a 2003 CTS, it has 179K on the clock, interior is pretty much flawless and looks to be well taken care of. But I would be driving this car every day for my daily, hes only asking 3k obo.

Would this car be worthy of a 40 mile round trip commute every day? Ive read a lot of internet reviews about this car and they are EXTREMEMLY mixed, from loving the car to hating it.

Ive read that transmission coolant lines are known to corrode and bust, the CPS and Throttle body are know to go bad leaving the car undrivable.

What are commons issues i should look for? Im test driving it tomorrow, also do you think 180k is putting this car on its last leg?

Any and all opinions are appriciated it!

Thanks

Jagoodin7

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

D-RoKK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    It is all based off of what you want. Does the mpg fit the bill? Does it have enough space? Do you like all the features? Just keep going over the questions. If you decide on it, take it to a cadillac dealership for inspection ($100) and then maybe a transmission shop to see if they find any problems with it. Gl

Teedoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS Base
    Yeah, what he said. But you can't beat that price. Offer him $2500 and if he accepts snatch it up.

What color is the exterior and interior?

Tlorenzen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack

Re: Looking at buying a High Mileage 2003 CTS give me your opinions

Thats a hell of a deal for luxury. Recaro seats in the new one are an option for that much..just for seats haha. Although there there is a lot of miles, I've seen guys on here with over 230k..think someone had almost 250k??

Pearl white exterior
    Tan leather with wood grain ques.

Its a really nice car, and im 100% sure he would take $2500.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by D-RoKK View Post
    It is all based off of what you want. Does the mpg fit the bill? Does it have enough space? Do you like all the features? Just keep going over the questions. If you decide on it, take it to a cadillac dealership for inspection ($100) and then maybe a transmission shop to see if they find any problems with it. Gl
    I personally love the car, Ive always wanted a Caddy and I randomly stumbled upon this talking to him. MPG not a concern really, I make enough money to afford this. Also I have a decent amount of savings, I just love not having a car payment. I also have a lit and heated garage with plenty of tools. I just wanted to make sure this car wasnt one of GM bombs that will fall apart when i buy it. Thought 179k does show it has some stability.

Cheers!

s_tharsan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport

I bought two of these cars and the only issue I had with both was a leaking differential. Although its not a lot to replace seals you can use this to bring down the price. So when you test drive look under the car for leaks. You will see oil running down the diff casing if it is leaking. Has the transmission cooler line or rad been replaced on this car?

I havent test drove it yet will be doing so tomorrow. He did say however he has to add a little bit of coolant every month and that there is a puddle on the ground, about the size of a quarter when its parked.

CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagoodin7
    I havent test drove it yet will be doing so tomorrow. He did say however he has to add a little bit of coolant every month and that there is a puddle on the ground, about the size of a quarter when its parked.
    Well I have an 03 CTS with the 3.2L engine (your car will have the same). I love it to death. Bought it at 91,000 and it's approaching 98,000. Other than changing oil, I've had to do absolutely nothing in maintenance. I've personalized it many ways too. I paid 8,900 for it and thought it was a great deal for what I got.

And as for the coolant thing, SAME here! About every month to month-and-a-half I gotta top it off. Obviously it has a very slight coolant leak, possibly the 03's get them in the same place? I haven't done anything about it yet cause its not really an issue and coolant is dirt cheap. I just haven't had the time to take it in and get it patched it up... I just watch out for it and keep it up to the Fill-To line. No biggie.

I'd say get it. 3k? Hell even if, worst case scenario, you had to replace the tranny for 3k then you'd still have spent $3,000 less then I did for my 03. It's a steal unless you discover some horrible issue. Just be wary but go for it.

2_Late_I_Won is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS

Heres the issues I've had with mine. (bought 11/13/12) O2 sensors bank 2 sensor 1&2 (it threw and ecm code but after replacing the O2 sensors no problems with the ECM yet....but its only been a week LOL) and the Thermostat needs to be replaced. (doing that this Friday) The valve cover is leaking slightly on the drivers side. I guess this is also a common problem. And a small exhaust leak on the pass side flex piece. But if theses are the only issues Im still happy with it. Sounds like you have a good deal and I dont want to discourage you. I just wanted you to know what issues ive had with mine so far.

arogers260 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury/Sport package
    There is a guy I know at my work selling a 2003 CTS, it has 179K on the clock, interior is pretty much flawless and looks to be well taken care of. But I would be driving this car every day for my daily, hes only asking 3k obo.

Would this car be worthy of a 40 mile round trip commute every day? Ive read a lot of internet reviews about this car and they are EXTREMEMLY mixed, from loving the car to hating it.

Ive read that transmission coolant lines are known to corrode and bust, the CPS and Throttle body are know to go bad leaving the car undrivable.

What are commons issues i should look for? Im test driving it tomorrow, also do you think 180k is putting this car on its last leg?

Any and all opinions are appriciated it!

Thanks

Jagoodin7
    I bought my 03 luxury sport same paint and interior as this one you speak of with 128k a about a year and a half ago for 10 grand. The only real issue I've had was the map light, dimmer switch went bad and kept causing my car to not start due to power drain which wasn't covered under my warranty I have but I got a new starter out of this issue since the mechanic thought that was the problem but wasn't. I also have a valve cover leaking into the spark plug cavity but that is caused by a faulty Pcv system which there is an upgrade for that isn't too costly to DIY. I currently have 148k and she still runs great nothing for me to complain about. I truly love my car and if you can get it that cheap that's good I would jump on that. The blue book on my specific car is around 7 grand now but when I bought the car it was around 9500 but retail was closer to 12 grand.

So basically if I get it do a full tune up,

Plugs
    Thermostat
    Valve cover gaskets
    Timing belt
    Fuel filter
    Cps sensor
    Rear diff fluid
    Trans fluid

Anything else?

arogers260 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury/Sport package
    So basically if I get it do a full tune up,

Plugs
    Thermostat
    Valve cover gaskets
    Timing belt
    Fuel filter
    Cps sensor
    Rear diff fluid
    Trans fluid

Anything else?
    If you do a timing belt might as well replace the water pump too, and the Pcv upgrade is a necessity otherwise your new vcg's will fail again.

D-RoKK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Keep in mind that if your getting the car for this cheap, maintenance/ tune up is no biggie!

kscadi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS Series I

Inherited a 2003 Series 1 (there are 2 different series in 2003 so check when you get parts) from my wife's uncle when he passed away in 2005. It had 13,000 on it and now has 173K. Since then I've had 3 radiators and 2 thermostats, the VCG/PCV upgrade (luckily I could combine that with a water pump replacement, the crankshaft position sensor, the power steering pump and rack and pinion replaced, 3 serpentine belts (it's in the shop again as it threw another one off Monday night), the idler pulley (the bearing seized and shredded a belt), I'm having the 3rd water pump put in (it's had a slow leak for the last 4 months but $1500 buys a lot of DexCool and distilled water), all the O2 sensors, the Fuel sensing computer ( a $800 guess because the only was to tell if that is the problem is to replace it and if they do you bought it regardless), the oil pressure sensor, blew the left front brake hose apart due to corrosion (a known problem in cold weather states and I can't begin to tell you how much fun that was), the radio quit (DIC and CD work just no reception on AM/FM), the flimsy ass plastic cover over the backup lights blew off going down the highway (GM won't sell you just the cover, they want $800 for a whole new insert ($350 - $650 in EvilBay)), the 3rd stop light went out (see forum stickies for a fix). All this doesn't count bulb replacement (most start with "Remove the front bumper assembly"), read deck lid lifts (series 1 and 2 use different ones), the engine compartment lower covers and the rubber air damm in the front (I gave up after 4). haven't done any street racing in 50 years and most of the miles have been highway on cruise. Car's fun to drive when it's working. IF you can do most of the work yourself (dealers have a $1000 syndrome when they see a Cadi) then $3K will buy you a lot of enjoyment, just realize what you are getting into.

Georgous is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 2003 3.2 L 4 door Standard Transmission

Take it to a mechanic tell him to review and what u will pay and if he would buy it. He will let u know whats required and cost. Mine, 2003 standard with all upgrades, has 147K runs as good as new however extremely well maintained. Mechanic, same for last 6 years says the motor will last forever. Have had NO major issues, however was compt a tranny, clutch & exhaust for free so cant comment there except Ive not known these to be common issues? The cars a gem plan to drive forever. Mechanic will let u know the score however these motors, 3.2, will get u 300K + (thats my intent and so far so good)! Best car I've ever owned have painted new front lights 1 tuneup, just done 4K ago.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.