2003 cts 3.2L timing belt replacement and the works!! PICS!!!! - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2003 cts 3.2L timing belt replacement and the works!! PICS!!!! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; 1. I think you are referring to alignment tool? it has groves that should line up with the timing cam ...
    Ikera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS 3.2, 1990 Nissan 240sx Turbocharged

Re: 2003 cts 3.2L timing belt replacement and the works!! PICS!!!!

1. I think you are referring to alignment tool? it has groves that should line up with the timing cam gears
    2. first idler pulley adjust the distance between the cam 2 and cam 3 next pulley adjust the distance between cam 4 and crank, you have to loosen one of the pulleys in order to take off the belt and install new. that's how your timing will get shifted.
    for the perfect timing you need to adjust both pulley with the new belt installed. or you can just put the pulley into the same position where it was with the old belt, your engine will still run as longs you have the tension set right. But the timing might be off on 2 or 4 cams

dead civic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 SILVER CTS V

I see. thank you for your reply.

I'll deff pay extra attention as I dont get how that works.

Ikera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS 3.2, 1990 Nissan 240sx Turbocharged

well here is a basic run down how the adjustable eccentric idlers work. This explanation without pictures might be confusing if you have never seen them, but it is pretty self explanatory once you actually get to that stage.
    you have 4 cams and crank
    cam are numbered from passenger side to the driver side (1, 2, 3, 4)
    2 eccentric adjustable timing pulleys, the top one and bottom one
    1 adjustable tensioner

after you install your new belt and removed the cam locking tools it's time to check the timing alignment via alignment tool
    the engine is rotating clockwise, all the cams also rotate clockwise
    1st scenario
    Cam 1 and Cam 2 are off by few degrees counter clockwise from the timing mark
    Cam 3 and Cam 4 are in perfectly on the timing mark
    solution - adjust the top eccentric pulley, by rotating it counter clockwise (in the direction which will apply more "tension*")

by applying more "tension*" on the top pulley the Cam 1 and Cam 2 will move clockwise
    by releasing "tension*" on the top pulley the Cam 1 and Cam 2 will move counter clockwise

2nd scenario
    Cam 1, Cam 2, Cam 3 and Cam 4 are off by few degrees counter clockwise
    Solution - adjust the bottom eccentric pulley, by rotating clockwise (in the direction which will apply more "tension*")

by applying more "tension*" on the bottom pulley the Cam 1, Cam 2, Cam 3 and Cam 4 will move clockwise
    by releasing "tension*" on the bottom pulley the Cam 1, Cam 2, Cam 3, Cam 4 will move counter clockwise

*I type tension in quotes, because it's not "tension" you're adjusting but more correct you're adjusting distance

anyway this is the best explanation I could do about adjusting timing, hope it helps

ynothd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

ANYONE WHO IS ABOUT TO ATTEMPT THIS JOB BE SURE TO CHECK THIS PAGE OUT AND SAVE SOME MONEY AND GET INFO NO ONE WILL TELL YOU I JUST DID THIS AND REPLACED ALL INTAKE VALVES, NO SPECIAL TOOLS REQUIRED OTHER THAN THE INVERTED TORX SOCKET SET ... http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...manuals-9.html

Grense is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2 LSE

I've been doing this job, have gotten the same parts from amazon as voodoochicken has, but I ran into a blocker... My timing belt kit came with a service bulletin about how to follow the included instructions or catastrophic failure will occur, but there are no instruction on the lower idler pulley that were included, someone put a piece of paper about a water pump in the box for some reason. if the instructions are only that to increase tension, the lower idler is rotated opposite the upper idler, then I'll just do that, but I just want to make sure since the other instructions I'm reading say to adjust the tensioner eccentric 3-4mm above the datum line so I just want to make sure I don't over or under tension the belt. Also what I'm not sure about is the way the lower idler pulley is installed, it seems to have some resistance if I rotate it clockwise, but rotating it counterclockwise also increases tension and doesn't have the strange resistance I encountered. Thanks for any help.

Edit-I decided to adjust the lower idler eccentric counterclockwise to increase tension that way the pressure of the belt from the crank pulling the belt across the pulley would cause a tightening action to prevent any possible loosening action. so far the car's been running top notch

Pantherrilla is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2 V6

i must say your post is what got me the courage to do mine instead of paying $2500- $3500 to have a shop do, but since i'm having to take so many parts apart, i decided to take my time and cleaned out the upper n lower intake plus the throttle body, clogged hoses, etc, I'm doing the valve/cam cover gaskets, lower intake gaskets, timing belt, spark plugs, water pump, thermostat,new radiator, radiator hoses, engine flush,
    also ECM repair, having issue with OS2 sensor even after replacing twice. i figure since she has over 200k and still sounds and runs good i
    might as well give her the full works, so she can give me 200k plus more

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.