2003 cts 3.2L timing belt replacement and the works!! PICS!!!! - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2003 cts 3.2L timing belt replacement and the works!! PICS!!!! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; yea cabletech is right, with the right tools the timing belt is not that bad, i ended up doing it ...
    lm13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: 2003 cts 3.2L timing belt replacement and the works!! PICS!!!!

yea cabletech is right, with the right tools the timing belt is not that bad, i ended up doing it four times until i got it right.

i pulled the 3 and 4 sprokets off the cams to change the thermostat.
    if you are doing the timing belt i would highly recommend doing the thermostat as well just so you dont have to mess with timing belt again later.
    you will have to remove upper and lower intake manifolds for the thermostat job, and there is a sequence to tightening the bolts on the lower manifold.

because i started out without the timing kit tools (like a moron) it took me two weekends. because with no cam locks i ended up having it go out timing.
    all in all if you do everything nice and methodical. lock the cam sprokets in place you will be able to do the timing belt in a day. actually tonight it took me 4 hours and i was double and triple checking all the marks and tension on the belt from start to finish.

speaking of timing kit you want me to sell you mine?

rb0757 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I bought a timing kit off amazon thanks anyway though, you will need yours when the time comes to change the belt again. Can you explain why the istruction book that comes with the tool wants you to turn the crankshaft 60 degrees counter clockwise, I've done belts on other cars and have always made sure everything was at top dead center before taking the belt off and it worked fine, just wondering why this is in the procedures.

cabletech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt

I think they tell you that so that you can get the crank lock bar on there and seated properly (the piece that bolts to the crank snout, that presses against the waterpump snout). I didn't use it. I tried to keep my cams at their zero position, and the crank notch at 6:00, and worked from there. My cams went out of time once and things got wiggy, but I was able to get everything lined back up, and I never removed any of the cam gears (the thermostat will come out without removing those gears). Car runs better now than it did before the swap (at least, I no longer have crank and cam position codes any more, though I did replace the cam sensor).

lm13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

yea the 60 degree turn is for you to lock the that bar in place.
    the first time around i followed instructions to the t (the ones that came with the belt). and at one step it had me turn cams 1 and two to the left of the marks.

i highly recommend keeping all the marks at tdc and only taking out the cam locks when necessary until you set the proper tension.

i can see you doing the tstat without taking the cam gears off, but i pulled them off before reading the instructions

I personally own a cts-v so i dont need that timing belt kit, it was my buddy's car that i was working on and he is planning on selling it before the belt needs to be changed again. if he doesn't he can go pay a shop to do it....

For you guys that have already done this job I have a question, how do you line up the bolts for the power steering pump without seeing the holes, I did a dry run this past weekend all went well I just had the hardest time getting the power steering bolts back in the pump, I have 163000 miles and am getting ready to do the belt myself this time. Thanks

Teedoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS Base

Is it possible to see the condition of the timing belt when changing the oil? Reason why I ask is because last week I took my car in to the dealership for an oil change and upon getting it back they stated that my timing belt is warn. So I'm been like wtf I just had it changed the beginning of the year.

Maybe they meant the serpentine belt, you can't see the timing belt without removing the timing belt cover

JhughesCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts
    Can you peak at the timing belt without removing anything?

cabletech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt

Nope. Cover is stuck on there until you remove the idler on the passenger's side of the motor, and the upper intake manifold. No peeking!

20CTS03 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2 Luxury, 2007 CTS 3.6 Sport/Luxury

Hi all. Thanks for all the great pics and advice. I just tackled the cam covers, spark plugs, coils, thermostat, and timing belt. It took me all day yesterday to get everything apart and make a few parts runs. On the thermostat, make sure and buy two 30mm x 3mm cross section orings for the pipe that connects to the thermostat housing. The new thermostat only came with the bottom o-ring. My car only has 30k miles on it, but being 10 years old, I wanted to change the belt. I had to buy coils also, even with 30K miles if you look underneath the coils near the boots the plastic was cracking. I first was just going to apply silicone over the cracks, but broke down and bought new ones. AC delco coils are around $100 for each side. The passenger side bank, that whole bracket assembly that goes over the cam coveris difficult with big hands, but with patience I was able to get all the bolts back in.
    On the timing belt, I had some issues getting the slack out of the belt on the drivers side since there is only tensioners between the cams and on the passenger side of the engine. The trick I did, is slightly rotating the crankshaft counter clockwise(just the width of the mark on the crank at the 6' oclock position, getting the belt in place and rotate crank to just the other side of the 6 o'clock position to get enough slack to get the new belt over the tensioner. I ended up loosening the mounting bolts to tensioner and idler pulleys to give enough slack to get the new belt on. Also, make sure that on the tensioner, the two marks are close to lining up so that the tensioner can do its job. With a 5 mm allen wrench, you slight loosen the nut on the tensioner and rotate it so that the lines line up. This way the tensioner can keep up with any slack in the belt. I was so happy I didn't break off the plastic barb off the radiator, but when you are working on the timing belt, I kept finding my elbow getting close to it. lol.

voodoochikin04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts, 2004 Cts-v

I havnt been on the cts forums for awhile since purchasing my 04 cts-v... glad to see my write up actually helped people out!! to this last post, the timing belt kit I bought replaced the static idler pulley with an adjustable one, which scared me at first, but ultimately allowed you to take up all the slack and really get the belt set right. I did this whole job in 2 days. first half of a saturday, and finished it on sunday. It really wrenched on my nerves a few times with the vague instructions the belt kit comes with. but good luck to you guys who still need to do this and again, glad I could help!!

Ikera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS 3.2, 1990 Nissan 240sx Turbocharged

Big Thanks for the Pictures!
    I hate write ups without picture

I noticed there is grease/sludge build up on the front bottom part of the engine (above oil pan?) I have the same thing, do you know or did you find out where did it come from?
    was a water pump or an oil pump leaking?

Grense is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2 LSE

Thanks for the posts all, especially you, Matt. My new(to me) CTS has the symptoms P0128 code(registers on obd2 @ 156`F) with a 2/3 temp gauge my entire trip to work(highway) but inches up to 200`F(top center) right when I arrive each day. When the engine warms up, it sounds like a quiet diesel engine, and is accompanied by a tap(sounds like hard plastic against metal) from the engine on the rear passenger side that speeds up with engine rpm. It's 14`F outside so my options are limited. What would I be in for if I asked a Cadillac dealer to diagnose and replace the timing belt, thermostat, and water pump, $1500?

Ikera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS 3.2, 1990 Nissan 240sx Turbocharged

just replaced the timing chain and the water pump, I removed the minimal amount of parts (upper intake plenum, intake air ducting, serpent belt and tensioner, water pump and crank pulleys, (unbolted) power steering pump are timing belt cover) If you're only replacing the timing belt, pulleys and the water pump this job can be down in 4hours or less

here are some pics

*I already did the Valve covers, spark plugs and the thermostat before.

dead civic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 SILVER CTS V

Questions.

on the first install picture. you place a tool on the pass side cam gears, what is that for? I see it comes with the tool set?

Also. If I'm locking the cams in their place as well as the Crank, then theoretically no timing shifting should occur... so why would there be any adjusting?

I'm about to get to doing this myself and these questions remain unanswered. any help is appreciated, thank you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.