2003 cts 3.2L timing belt replacement and the works!! PICS!!!! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2003 cts 3.2L timing belt replacement and the works!! PICS!!!! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Well I finally finished with my car (took me 3 Saturdays of "kinda working on it"). Replaced the timing belt ...
    cabletech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt

Re: 2003 cts 3.2L timing belt replacement and the works!! PICS!!!!

Well I finally finished with my car (took me 3 Saturdays of "kinda working on it"). Replaced the timing belt & pulleys, waterpump, thermostat, valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, cam position sensor, a couple of vacuum lines, and some crumbling wire loom. Only 2 small bolts left over. Whoops. Car runs great, no codes (which, before I did the work, I *always* had a cam position code, crank position code, and would frequently get the P0128 coolant temp code). When it cools down here, we'll see how the P0128 works out (it's 75+ right now, needs to be <40 to set the code).

rb0757 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Voodoo you did it again

djoer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS (Black w/black interior and 5 speed manual transmis

Thanks Voodoo, I just completed mine as well and your info and pics were very helpful. However, I purchased my parts from Rockauto.com. I changed the timing belt, tensioner pulley, both idler pulleys, water pump, thermostat housing, valve cover gaskets, and spark plugs. I did run into a problem that I wanted to share for those that may be trying this in the future. While trying to remove the thermostat housing, I found that the Inlet Pipe that inserts into the housing was froze. I attempted to pry on the mounting flange of the pipe, which resulted in breaking it! This is a dealer only item, and since it happened on a Sunday, I had to wait to get a replacement. one thing I realized later is that the thermostat housing is a little more accessible after the tensioner/idler pulley assembly is removed. Not sure it would have made a difference for me, but it may have. Anyhow, thank you for sharing. (Black 2003 CTS w manual tranny)

voodoochikin04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts, 2004 Cts-v

mine was seized to the thermostat housing to. i grabbed the tube with a large channel lock pliers and rotated clockwise.. this forced the mounting flange against something else and the more i turned, the more it forced the tube out of the thermo housing.

My car popped a P0128 code on the drive home today, even with the brand new thermostat (outside temp just under 40 degrees). I continue to think the V-grille may be partially to blame. My theory goes that it flows more air across the radiator than the stock CTS grille, so the engine can't warm up. Part of my issue is that I fire up the car, and within a couple minutes I'm at 70 mph on the Interstate (going to or from work). Car never gets time to warm up while driving because of airflow across radiator. When I stop, engine starts to creep up in temperature.

voodoochikin04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts, 2004 Cts-v

p0128 is low coolant isnt it? or is it engine not reaching temp? either way i doubt its getting to much airflow. with a closed tstat, the engine could be in the open air and still get warm. double check that you have full coolant.

Thanks for the reply... P0128 is low coolant temperature. My temperature gauge on the dash sits just below the 1/4 mark while driving 70-ish (38 degrees outside just now, according to the DIC). Level in the tank is fine - stone cold, it was ~1/4 inch below the "COLD" mark after work today. I've seen the "Low Engine Coolant" message on the DIC before (a while back), and topped it off... so I know that sensor works as well. I sat idling in the driveway for a couple minutes when I got home, and the gauge on the dash started creeping upwards. "Normal" temperature for my car is a hair past center (just past straight up and down).

This isn't a big deal, just annoying. I've got a scanner to reset the code, and I know it happens only in <40 degree weather (which only happens for a couple months a year in this part of Texas). I'm just glad the crank sensor and cam sensor codes haven't come back. That's something worth celebrating. Knock on wood (I've changed crank sensors 4 times in the past 2 years trying to get rid of it - definition of insanity, I guess).

Cabletech have you checked all you small hard plastic hoses specially the ones under the throttle body ans just behind the two fat black air intake hose that go to the throttle body, there is a vacum operated diafram that has a small tee I rememeber I left that off and kept have a thermostat problem

Yep, those were the lines I replaced, in fact. The soft line to the valve by the radiator, and the hard line behind the intake bellows. So those aren't the problem. Today was 47 degrees this morning... No code. Only when it drops a little lower...

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Excellent thread! The oil ingestion you see makes this a good time to install a proper catchcan system also.

Good work!

Ikera likes this.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

lm13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

voodoo thanks for the write up brother. i just did the thermostat without the cam tools or changing the belt. talk about sweating bullets, took the cam gears off to pull that whole stupid inlet pipe off to get the thermostat.

i used this post a bit to help me out. http://www.justanswer.com/cadillac/6...-2l-threw.html

upon completion the car started once and then wouldn't start again (out of gas. 1 gallon fixed that quick )
    starts up and runs fine althought i hear a lot of noise from the timing belt cover, making me suspect that i didn't tighten the belt enough.
    would you please share your tightening steps with me? i ordered the tools and the new timing kit anyway coz i'm pretty sure i accidentally got some coolant on the freaken belt.

also how big of a deal is to change those cam gear bolts? i tightened them to 80 ft lbs. will retighten again.

thanks for all your help

p.s. working on a 2003 cts 3.2 before anyone freaks out

so yea, def loose timing belt. good thing i went back in there to double check. i tell you thought. voodoo is right about the cam sprocket bolts, if you undo them buy new ones. my genius **s decided to go and tighten them to spec. spec that i got from autozone, said 80 Ft/lbs. driver side sprockets tightened fine, the pass side kept turning and turning until i turned the freaken head clean off... fun time. hopefully tomorrow i'll be able to back it out with a reverse drill bit. BTW called all over for the bolts. ordered them form the dealership for $5 a pop for the short ones (pass side) and $10 for the long ones (driver).
    i came to the conclusion that to properly tighten the belt you def def def most def need the stupid tools. they are pretty affordable through the link that voodo has provided. i'll get the sprocket torque specs and post them on here once i am done with the repair.

Phew what a day. just got done, figured i'd throw new spark plugs in but turns out i ruined one of the coils will replace the pass side coils tomorrow and i think thats it

Was about to get the broken bolt out with a center punch just caught the broken edges and kept turning.

the replacement bolts ran me 26 bucks from gm bolts for cams 1 and 2 part numbers are 90433737 they are the shorter ones. the longer ones for cams 3 and 4 part number is 90573287

the reason why you have to change the bolts is because they strech.
    the tightening sequence is as follows
    37 ft pounds first pass
    then 60 degrees second pass
    then 15 more third pass.

the new timing kit from rock auto had all the other specs which are weak i think
    and a pretty good installation manual.

def def def get the tools if you are tackling this one on your own
    and do not ask autozone for torque specs

----------

Phew what a day. just got done, figured i'd throw new spark plugs in but turns out i ruined one of the coils will replace the pass side coils tomorrow and i think thats it

Was about to get the broken bolt out with a center punch just caught the broken edges and kept turning.

the replacement bolts ran me 26 bucks from gm bolts for cams 1 and 2 part numbers are 90433737 they are the shorter ones. the longer ones for cams 3 and 4 part number is 90573287

the reason why you have to change the bolts is because they strech.
    the tightening sequence is as follows
    37 ft pounds first pass
    then 60 degrees second pass
    then 15 more third pass.

the new timing kit from rock auto had all the other specs which are weak i think
    and a pretty good installation manual.

def def def get the tools if you are tackling this one on your own
    and do not ask autozone for torque specs

Hey IM13 and Voodoo I'm confused on the cam sprocket bolt, why is it necessary to replace them, changing the timing belt doesn't require removing the cam sprockets does it. Also and Cabletech you might chime in on this one, but how much time would you say it takes to do this job from start to finish, I'm looking at hopefully doing this over a weekend it's my only car so I don't have a backup it the job takes more than a weekend to complete Thanks

If you're just doing the timing belt stuff, you should be fine doing it in a few hours (start at 9am Saturday, you'll be done by 5pm, with breaks for lunch and such). You start getting in to valve cover gaskets, waterpump, and thermostat, that's when you start eating up time. Valve cover gaskets require you to take a bunch more 'stuff' off of the motor, as does the thermostat. The timing tool kit really does help, I used it to lock my cams and also make sure the cams were aligned / set belt tension. I don't think I would have gotten belt tension set properly (cams in perfect alignment) without the tool kit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.