2003 cts 3.2L timing belt replacement and the works!! PICS!!!! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2003 cts 3.2L timing belt replacement and the works!! PICS!!!! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Wow!!! Mean write and pics!...
    Teedoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS Base

Re: 2003 cts 3.2L timing belt replacement and the works!! PICS!!!!

Wow!!! Mean write and pics!

voodoochikin04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts, 2004 Cts-v

well i had been searching for info like this and couldnt seem to find much useful info or pics of the whole deal. I hope that my information, experience, and pictures can help anyone planning to do this task! I would highly reccomend replacing spark plugs, thermostat, and water pump if your going to tackle the timing belt.

sandalet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-2003, 3.2 automatic

Great job! I did it with virtually no tools. I was very nervous, so no pictures. Location thermostat unpleasantly surprised.

JohnnyLive is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Fantastic pictures! Thanks for posting them.

John

rb0757 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Voodoo you did a great job on this with the write up and photos you must be a master tech. After you got everything back together did you rotate the engine by hand to see if everything lined up, and if you didn't would you recommend doing that

After getting the new timing belt on, tensioner and idler pulleys.....with tension set the best I could....i rotated the engine over quite a few times because I was so nervous that something wasnt right. everything lined up every two revolutions!!! right on the money. im no master tech, just a guy whos willing to tackle things and save thousands of dollars! Thanks for the kind words!!

2_Late_I_Won is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS

I was mainly looking for good pics of how the thermostat was in there. Awesome pics and write up.

bigspence79 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cadillac cts and 1995 deville

on the pictures of the cam sprockets shown without a belt... are the cam marks lined up correctly in that photo?

not at first... the cams were not lining up perfectly with the notches on the timing cover... so thats why i decided to adjust them a tad to line up better.. but when you go to put the belt on you find out that its not possible for the marks to line up perfectly with the notches... but it doesnt matter, as long as they are close because the marks DO line up perfectly with the measure plate that comes in the kit and thats the important part. As long as the marks are very close to the notches and the marks line up perfectly with that guide plate. Also the pictures are not centered, so prespective throws it off a bit. they werent THAT far off as they look in the pictures.

redc4man is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Awesome job! Can the TStat be changed with the Timing Belt Tensioner removed? (w/o removing intake) Thanks - Kevin

bigspence79 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cadillac cts and 1995 deville

Quote Originally Posted by voodoochikin04 View Post
    not at first... the cams were not lining up perfectly with the notches on the timing cover... so thats why i decided to adjust them a tad to line up better.. but when you go to put the belt on you find out that its not possible for the marks to line up perfectly with the notches... but it doesnt matter, as long as they are close because the marks DO line up perfectly with the measure plate that comes in the kit and thats the important part. As long as the marks are very close to the notches and the marks line up perfectly with that guide plate. Also the pictures are not centered, so prespective throws it off a bit. they werent THAT far off as they look in the pictures.
    two marks on each Cam Sprocket. One on the tooth and one more between the tooth which one needs to line up? Your pics have been a great help so far!! thanks

from passenger side to drivers side, use these marks.. 1-2 and 3-4

01Cat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera

Excellent write up and pics, I know you all realize this is the same engine that is used in the Catera with slightly larger displacement. Everything is identical with the 3.0 used in the Cat, Saturn Vue, Saturn L-300, Saab 93, Opel Omega etc... Look at the under-hood pictures of any 2000 or 2001 Catera. CTS stands for Catera Touring Sedan. Lots of info and instructions available on timing belt replacement etc under these make and models, especially the Catera. It is amazing how this great engine was dissed so much in the Catera. In Opel Omega form it was regularly used in taxi cabs and police cars for 3-400k miles in Europe with regular maint.

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
    The Catera 3.0 and CTS 3.2 are completely different. They share the upper plenum as well as bore and deck height. They revamped the engine design due to the earlier design being plagued with timing belt tensioner failure and head gasket failure. Cadillac washed its hands of the Catera with the introduction of the CTS. Generally I don't think Cadillac meant for it to be called the Catera touring sedan, just going with the European trend of letter cars. Hence the ATS, CTS, DTS, STS etc.

CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
    Quote Originally Posted by jran0823
    The Catera 3.0 and CTS 3.2 are completely different. They share the upper plenum as well as bore and deck height. They revamped the engine design due to the earlier design being plagued with timing belt tensioner failure and head gasket failure. Cadillac washed its hands of the Catera with the introduction of the CTS. Generally I don't think Cadillac meant for it to be called the Catera touring sedan, just going with the European teen of letter cars. Hence the ATS, CTS, DTS, STS etc.
    This is all correct ^ and the 3.2L turned out to be pretty darn great IMO. Engine sounds great too! Far superior in sound to the 3.6L VVT engine in my Chevy traverse, even more aggressive sounding than the 5.3L V8 in my suburban! I've heard it sounds better than the CTS 3.6 as well but I've never driven one in real life so I won't judge.

And you must agree it makes sense to go with the letter naming. Not only does it liken itself more with Audi, BMW and Merc, but it also lingually makes sense as well. Seville or Escalade might sound very foreign and unfamiliar, even difficult to say, to any non-English speaking nation, but as long as they use the same alphabet then CTS, ATS, XTS all sounds very familiar to anyone being just a string of letters. So does A5, 5-series, S500, etc

This stuff interests me obviously...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.