4 quick Tips to make your car shine!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By mad1301
  • 2 Post By Blayne
  • 2 Post By D-RoKK
  • 2 Post By johnsonrr
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 4 quick Tips to make your car shine! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I had just went outside to do a bit of cleaning on my 05 CTS before it got too dark ...
    mad1301 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Thumbs up 4 quick Tips to make your car shine!

I had just went outside to do a bit of cleaning on my 05 CTS before it got too dark and used some old tricks, as well as some new ones to get it clean.

You may already know of these, but here are four tips to get your car sparkling clean.

1. Use a Window solution on stains in your carpeted upholstery in the vehicle. If you use any of the window cleaning solutions (preferably the spray bottle kinds) just spray it on the stain, let it soak a few minutes and then you can use a white rag and wipe it up, you'll be able to see the stain come out. You may to do this multiple times.
    2.Use the window cleaner that comes in the can, it works extremely well, wipe hard with white paper towels, will see the dirt lift right off.
    3. Tire shine isn't only for tires. On your car you've got a lot of black plastic pieces on the exterior of the vehicle, especially in the front near the hood and windshield wipers. You can use a white paper towel, fold it up, and spray a bit of tire shine on it(I used the kind in the can) and wipe away at the plastic, you'll see all the black stuff lift off and you'll have sparkly clean black plastic and it will make your car look 10x better. You can also do this in the small crevices between your rear window and the quarter panels.
    4. Use toothpaste on your headlamps to clean most of the junk off. Doesn't get it 100% better but it removes a lot of the build up and you can see a difference.

Hope that helps you all. If you have more tips feel free to link them.
    smoovbro10 and smoovbro10 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

spain is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 cts

Re: 4 quick Tips to make your car shine!

nice ideas

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    Well this thread will probably go on and on lol. I have a few tips to add.

1. Tire shines are great, but they build up a bit of black crud on your tires. Every few weeks I use spray nine on the tires. Spray it on and give them a scrub with a brush. You will be amazed at the black shit that comes off your tire. Seriously, you are going to look at it and say "Holy Shit"!!

2. Glass cleaner is great on the interior....I second that. If you get grease on you carpets, use brake parts cleaner. Give it a spray and a light scrub with a brush and its all gone. Cleaner dries up with no residue or marks.

3. Spray WD-40 on the plastic wheel well liners. This is a trick I use on my lifted Jeep. Spray it on and it leaves a nice shine. Then, if you get any kind of dirt or mud or road tar on the liners, it will come off with a quick spray with the hose.

4. Don't use dish soap to wash a car. I know that should be a given but you would be surprised. Dish soap will strip off more than the dirt due to its high detergent. That being said, I do a twice a year waxing, and I do use dish soap for those two washes only. I don't want to wax over dirt that the regular car soap couldn't get off. Also, use cold water. I know a bucket of warm water is easier on the hands at this time of year but grow a set and use cold water. Hot water softens the wax and will aid in its removal!

That's all for now but there is more. I have to remember them lol.

D-RoKK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    1. To shine plastics, rub peanut butter on them and let it sit for a few minutes. Wash it off and it leaves it looking new again.

2. Use leather conditioner! It smells like a new car (mothers vlr) and prevents cracking and creasing.

3. Dont go through those quick car washes! Dirt and particles build up within them and with the harsh movement of the cleaners, it will slowly ruin your paint.

4. When cleaning the car, dont forget about parts like door seals' trunk lid, and under edge of the hood and bumpers.

5. When cleaning your windows, use newspaper instead of a microfiber. It wont leave any streaks!

6. Presoak with bug and tar remover to allow the agent to soak in and remove the debris quickly when actually washing.

7. Before you wax, use a clay bar kit. This removes all the small particles and dirt stuck in the clear coat.

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    Some of those are new to me. But, the clay bar is the greatest cleaning tool. Amazing what that thing will take off!!!

Thanks for all the extra tips everyone! I recently bought a small portable car vacuum. It's actually a wet/dry one and it was around $8 at Target. It works wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by mad1301 View Post
    Thanks for all the extra tips everyone! I recently bought a small portable car vacuum. It's actually a wet/dry one and it was around $8 at Target. It works wonders.
    You should post a link!

johnsonrr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS

If using the "two bucket" washing method, please use a "grit guard" at the bottom of both buckets. This allows the dirt to settle at the bottom of the buckets and not scratching your paint while
    washing.
    mmvvt and mmvvt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by D-RoKK View Post
    You should post a link!
    http://www.target.com/p/wagan-wet-dr...Slot=small_1_5

It looks very similar to that one.

Odysseyvegas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

Another quick tip is using vaseline (yes, vaseline) for black/dark plastic faded trim. It's not permanent, but works great, and is a lot cheaper than the commercial treatments.

Quote Originally Posted by mad1301 View Post
    I had just went outside to do a bit of cleaning on my 05 CTS before it got too dark and used some old tricks, as well as some new ones to get it clean.

You may already know of these, but here are four tips to get your car sparkling clean.

1. Use a Window solution on stains in your carpeted upholstery in the vehicle. If you use any of the window cleaning solutions (preferably the spray bottle kinds) just spray it on the stain, let it soak a few minutes and then you can use a white rag and wipe it up, you'll be able to see the stain come out. You may to do this multiple times.
    2.Use the window cleaner that comes in the can, it works extremely well, wipe hard with white paper towels, will see the dirt lift right off.
    3. Tire shine isn't only for tires. On your car you've got a lot of black plastic pieces on the exterior of the vehicle, especially in the front near the hood and windshield wipers. You can use a white paper towel, fold it up, and spray a bit of tire shine on it(I used the kind in the can) and wipe away at the plastic, you'll see all the black stuff lift off and you'll have sparkly clean black plastic and it will make your car look 10x better. You can also do this in the small crevices between your rear window and the quarter panels.
    4. Use toothpaste on your headlamps to clean most of the junk off. Doesn't get it 100% better but it removes a lot of the build up and you can see a difference.

Hope that helps you all. If you have more tips feel free to link them.
    I used rain x today on a stain and it worked! Someone spilled a can of soda and didnt tell me...

ForumRunner_20121213_182429.png

CadillacAsAlways is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
    Quote Originally Posted by D-RoKK
    1. To shine plastics, rub peanut butter on them and let it sit for a few minutes. Wash it off and it leaves it looking new again.
    Is this bullshit or uhh..? Hahaha I don't generally associate foods with cars and cleaning methods. More like the opposite...

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacAsAlways View Post

Is this bullshit or uhh..? Hahaha I don't generally associate foods with cars and cleaning methods. More like the opposite...
    Nope! Theres something with the oils that just works. Google it! I thought about just using peanut oil but no one has done it or so I found.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.