Need new catalytic converter...which brand and where to buy one?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Need new catalytic converter...which brand and where to buy one? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hi All, Apparently I need a new catalytic. I have looked around for replacements and the prices seem to range ...
    GCTS1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Need new catalytic converter...which brand and where to buy one?

Hi All,
    Apparently I need a new catalytic. I have looked around for replacements and the prices seem to range significantly. I have seen one on eBay which is selling for a reasonable price ($150). This item is sold by Mac auto parts. They claim this to be a direct bolt on replacement and best of all approved in California. Does anyone have any experience with this unit? Can someone recommend a good quality replacement?

Also, i need bank 1... I believe this is the passenger side, correct? Is it recommendable to change both sides at the same time or it makes no difference?

I have a 2004 CTS 3.6L

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Re: Need new catalytic converter...which brand and where to buy one?

Why only one ? You might want to consider doing both. If one is plugged the other could be partially.
    What kind of mileage/performance are you getting ? Are you sure it's the cat ?

Quote Originally Posted by Argent1
    Why only one ? You might want to consider doing both. If one is plugged the other could be partially.
    Yes, I am considering replacing both for the same reasons but the expensive price of these units is a problem for me.

I have done a little research on this issue I have. My cat efficiency alarm resulted from driving the car for a couple of days with a misfiring cylinder. The engine light flashed on and off in more than one occasion... I believe this means that the cat was getting really hot. Based on this I have jumped to the conclusion that the cat is bad... But I am reconsidering replacing the O2 sensor first and see if that solves my problem.

I don't think I have that rattling notice associated with a bad cat.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Argent1
    I am reconsidering to replace the O2 sensor first and see if that would solve my fault code.

This problem came as a result of driving the car for a couple of days with a misfiring cylinder. The engine light flashed on and off at least in two occasions, now I know that this means that the cat was getting really hot(or so I read ). This is why I highly suspect the cat... But the expense of these units is really making me reconsider other potential solutions before I spend the money for a new set of cats

2004BLACKCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS 3.6L

How did everything go? I think I have the same problem and I just wanted to check on any updates you had to share

Thanks

ngoodnight01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS

A flashing light doesn't mean that your CAT is bad. Need to do a back pressure test and check your post CAT O2 sensors. If replacing the CAT get OE as most aftermarket ones are crap unless you buy the expensive ones.

Quote Originally Posted by ngoodnight01 View Post
    A flashing light doesn't mean that your CAT is bad. Need to do a back pressure test and check your post CAT O2 sensors. If replacing the CAT get OE as most aftermarket ones are crap unless you buy the expensive ones.
    I would assume that you don't recommend those MAC cats on eBay... Does anyone else would agree or disagree?
    What makes a CAT crap vs good? I believe the OE would cost at least $500 each... Ouch!!

FernieB1985 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS

i am having the same issue. mine popped a P0420 code. the dealer will replace it for free if they end up finding its the cat. but if its the o2 than i am screwed. let me know what you find out.

I have found a set of catalytics at gmpartsdirect.com for a very reasonable price ($350 each). I had to email their customer service to verify if these were indeed OEM parts, they confirmed they were but truly I am still a little skeptical because of the low price compared to a local "stealer" who quoted them at around $850 each. Has anyone bought catalytics from this online website?
    It just looks like to good a deal to be true .
    Any feedback would be appreciated.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.