What does everyone do for a living to afford their CTS? - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, What does everyone do for a living to afford their CTS? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Sweet!! I've been looking for a poop vendor....
    CTS Orlando is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: What does everyone do for a living to afford their CTS?

Sweet!! I've been looking for a poop vendor.

Coreyn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by odysseus
    Wow . . . . buying a $52,000 car on a $4X,000 salary!?!?!?!? I have to admit, you have Kahuna's! I paid cash for my CTS, but even I couldn't justify spending $50K on a daily driver (35,000+ miles/year) that's likely to get dinged and scratched in parking lots. A car with tires that only seem to last 10K miles, and cost 1500+ to replace was a little over the top for me, regardless of the intoxicating performance. Don't get me wrong . . . I'd LOVE to have a CTS-V, but it's simply not happening when one is a single parent with one kid in college, and another getting ready to start driving (no way would I let him learn to drive in a V!).

On an aside (with a teenager about to start driving), I'm amazed at how many folks on this board were GIVEN a CTS by their parents. At 16, I was given a $200 pickup truck and told I "had wheels, now get a better job if I wanted nicer ones". Needless to say, I paid my own way through college, worked hard for 15 years, started an engineering company, and at 42, finally got 'nicer wheels' (the CTS). My kids get the same treatment, and I too earn 6 figures a year.

I don't mean to flame anyone . . . If you have parents that generous, it's good you appreciate it . . . most kids don't.
    At 17 I was driving a 86 Buick Century with a 115 horsepower 2.8 V-6 (nn fuel injected) and white wall tires. While i hated the car, I appreciated getting a free car from my parents. Granted it was worth only $250.00 , it was still free. But from that point i bought every car i owned and consider myself a selfmade guy! I hope that when I have kids they will most defintly get a shitty car so they learn the value of a $$.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

Wow . . . . buying a $52,000 car on a $4X,000 salary!?!?!?!? I have to admit, you have Kahuna's! I paid cash for my CTS, but even I couldn't justify spending $50K on a daily driver (35,000+ miles/year) that's likely to get dinged and scratched in parking lots. A car with tires that only seem to last 10K miles, and cost 1500+ to replace was a little over the top for me, regardless of the intoxicating performance. Don't get me wrong . . . I'd LOVE to have a CTS-V, but it's simply not happening when one is a single parent with one kid in college, and another getting ready to start driving (no way would I let him learn to drive in a V!).

On an aside (with a teenager about to start driving), I'm amazed at how many folks on this board were GIVEN a CTS by their parents. At 16, I was given a $200 pickup truck and told I "had wheels, now get a better job if I wanted nicer ones". Needless to say, I paid my own way through college, worked hard for 15 years, started an engineering company, and at 42, finally got 'nicer wheels' (the CTS). My kids get the same treatment, and I too earn 6 figures a year.

I don't mean to flame anyone . . . If you have parents that generous, it's good you appreciate it . . . most kids don't.
    To reply to you.
    Our Son (only child) was a straight "A" student in high school. He got accepted to Princeton University. He's a Jr. there with a 4.0 GPA & has been accepted into "Who's Who in American Colleges" ~ he is past Treasurer of his Frat, and incoming Treasurer of the Accounting & Finance Society Association on Campus. He has led the annual fund raising drive for Danny Thomas's "Up All Nite" drive to raise $$$ for chronically ill children, and has co-ordinated the collection of cell phones (used) on campus to be donated to raise $$ for inner city poor. He has served meals to the ill at hospitals and donated time in other ways.
    When he turned 13 months old he bagan to walk and I bought him a brand new pair of shoes, not a $2.00 used pair. When he turned 18 I bought him a brand new Jeep Cherokee (his choice), and not a used one! This Jeep has taken him safely and under warrantee 23,000 miles in 4 years, buying him transportation, convenience, luxury & pleasure, while buying me & the wife peace of mind, that he is protected with 4-wheel drive security, dual air bags and a good braking system as well as enjoyment. You get back from a chile what you put into that child!
    The next door neighbor nearly thru a fecial fit when we brought our child that. His daughter got a 1975 Olds Cutlass that she used to run away in, after finding out that she was 17 & pregnant and drove from Jersey to Ohio & robbed a bank for money to exist on! Neighbor was a CPA with his own firm and 6 employees. I was a car salesman! Who had more $$$ ?? It's not about $$$ - it's about nurturing, it's about giving and also demanding excellence in return. You have much more money than I do (or so it appears) - what are you gonna do with it if not enrich the life of your own flesh & blood? I never saw an armoured car following a hearse. You die only once in this life. Your cars get sold, your house ditto. Everything you've collected gets tossed out or sold for cheap. You really & truly leave behind only one thing: Your Child (or children) THAT is what endures. That's all you REALLLY have in life, the rest is just frills. You have a 6 figure income and put your child in a $200 car ?? No further comment......

PS/ He works too!! For T-Mobile, and pays for all his expenses, and almost never asks us for any $$$. Pays the car insurance, and his expenses & the gas for the Jeep Cherokee.

RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside

A lot of interesting insights on gift$ for children. I understand both arguements.My parents loved and nurtured me. They showed me the way to purchase my first car..a $200 '51 Ford coupe. I paid for it. I also paid my way through college, cum laude. Today I own my own manufacturing business and earn a six digit salary and a nice nest egg. I have a valuable and lovely home. I have a Corvette and my CTS. I can say I did it all on my own. Mom and Dad never gave me a penney. They gave me things that were far more valuable. They gave me a strong work ethic and a belief that I was an achiever and smarter than the average bear. They were my cheerleaders. I really don't think gift$ would have made the outcome any better.

odysseus is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS

Sandy,

Wow, I must have hit a nerve. While this post is clearly straying off-topic, I feel a reply is in order. My position is that most who are given new BMW's, Acura’s, etc., (I've never seen one in a Cadillac) are NOT like your son. Most of the kids I know, wouldn't work at Wendy's at minimum wage to earn a living. The ones who do work, seem to spend all their money on toys instead of investing in their future.

I didn’t say I got my daughter a $200 car. I said that I was given one 25 years ago. I bought my daughter a '98 $3000 Saturn with 60,000 miles on it, after she went one year without an accident in an '87 Mustang. It’s safe, dependable, and she can afford the insurance. I replaced everything that was even remotely worn (tires, brakes, starter, battery, plugs, wires, etc) and even put a nicer stereo in it. FYI, I'm paying her FULL college tuition, so she doesn't have bills when she graduates like I did. I feel that's a better investment than a $40,000 car, simply for making it through high school.

My son wants a Jeep when he turns 16 but he certainly won't get a new one. He'll likely get a used Cherokee for around $5000. He would rather that we will spend time together fixing it to his tastes (most likely a small suspension lift, bigger tires, rebuild the motor if needed, etc.). He'll have the confidence to fix it, if it breaks down and not rely on AAA, or a warranty. My experience is that many new drivers dent the crap out of their first cars, new or used (ask any insurance agent why anyone under 25 is so expensive to insure) during the first year, as they get their feet wet on the road. If they have something of their own invested in it, they seem to take much better care.

While I feel you are extremely blessed with such an outgoing son, who rightly deserves everything you have given him, you are the exception. My buddy also has a daughter (my daughter's best friend) who received a full ride scholarship in Engineering to Penn State. She's into three other extracurricular activities and keeps a 3.5 GPA. He bought her a new Dodge Stratus, and she also rightly deserves it. I simply want my kids to learn to work for what they want. One of the things I remember from an Economics course in college is “there’s no such thing as a free lunch”. RobertCTS hit the nail on the head "teach kids to have a work ethic and give them the belief they are achievers". Your son clearly understands that already. Count yourself lucky.

briandors is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    The next door neighbor nearly thru a fecial fit when we brought our child that. His daughter got a 1975 Olds Cutlass that she used to run away in, after finding out that she was 17 & pregnant and drove from Jersey to Ohio & robbed a bank for money to exist on!
    I agree with everything you wrote, but I hope you are not implying that giving a kid an old beater causes them to turn bad. If you've raised your child correctly, she may get a bit upset that she's getting a 75 Cutlass but it won't cause a full blown rebellion. If it does, something was wrong WAY before that.

I believe in safety, children, and your philosophy on life as well. Just want to make that clear, you have to raise your children right and put TIME and LOVE into them, as well as money.

When I graduated from college (Computer Engineering degree, got a job within a month; was an honors student in high school) I was going to buy myself a new car. My parents let me pick out what I wanted and then they took care of it. It wasn't anything exorbitant either, a Contour SVT we got on A-Plan for $20,500. So that I wouldn't start life saddled with debt. For which I'm very grateful, and I'm frugal to this day. I use coupons on groceries, I buy clothes only from discounters, never paying retail. I wear sneakers for years before replacing them, socks till they have holes, and am SAVING a big chunk of my income even though i'm "just" 28.

As much as I love the CTS, I haven't bought one yet because I'm not sure someone who makes $55,xxx should spend $36,xxx on a car (the way I want it). If I did, I guarantee I would keep it for many years to earn back the depreciation hit.

These values along with many others were instilled in me by my parents.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

Yes, I know I am lucky. I am as smart as he is - but I was never a good student, so my dream of becoming a dentist was yanked away when I graduated from a little unknown college with a "C" average, so I followed my 2nd love of cars, in what began an almost 30 year career in that {miserable} business. My son's Jeep is flawless. He has never as much as gotten a door ding on it (parks far away) ~ He knows better. He knows his Father is anal crazy about keeping a car in like "show" condition. I don't think he appreciates that, but he realizes how much we have sacrificed for him. He did get a scholarship but I have to pay room & board & books. He makes enough $$ to pay car insurance (well, 3/4 of it) and spending $$ and gas.
    Grades are one thing. Being a truly good person is totally unrealted. Sadly I was/am the 2nd, but just could not get the As & Bs needed. Matt has both, and yes, I give ALOT of thanks for that.
    There was a 20 year old on full scholarship at Princeton, straight "A"s. Wanted to be a Medical Research Pioneer. He had a nice car. It was parked in his driveway. The neighbor put on his water sprinkler and got the car all wet - afterr the young guy had washed & waxed it. Angry words were exchanged, and the young guy retreated into his house, got a gun, came back out & shot & killed the guy on his own property, and then preceeded to enter the guys house and shoot & kill the wife & 2 kids!!
    He was on a 100% scholarship to Princeton!! Sadly, they only go by grades, nothing else in the character matters.
    Sorry I misunderstood some of what you wrote. Glad the young lady is in a Saturn, and NOT a $200.00 junk.
    The Jeep is a wonderful choice. It has the room to lug home all the dorm stuff they need to at the holidays & over summertime. They are great vehicles.

Keep in mind and perspective $200 doesn't equate to junk. Earlier I mentioned my 1st car was a '51 Ford coupe. It cost me $200. That was in 1958 and IMO a very nice car. When we hear some of these low car prices it's important to understand the total picture.

CTS Orlando is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

I think I mentioned in page 2 of this thread, that the above discussion is the reason why we shouldnt discuss how we make our money, how much we make, and what we choose to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by CTS Orlando
    I think I mentioned in page 2 of this thread, that the above discussion is the reason why we shouldnt discuss how we make our money, how much we make, and what we choose to do with it.
    I guess they don't agree with you Orlando. I guess that's the nature of open forums. :deadhorse

Coreyn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by RobertCTS
    I guess they don't agree with you Orlando. I guess that's the nature of open forums. :deadhorse
    I agree as well, i think this is the CTS forum not yahoo finance.

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Electronic Forensics/Electronic Lithigation Support

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Im probably one of the few people here who can say CARS ARE MY LIFE... I make 35k a year and at least half of that goes in CAR expenses for my EXPENSIVE vehicle tastes. My next vehicle will run about 37000.00. I dont think anyone else here is in the same situation by choice, or even close. I probably bust my ass more than anyone I know to own my cars, and that makes me appreciate them all that much more Ive NEVER had a car given to me, but I have been blessed with a successful career path (various aspects of the tech industry) at such a young age (and havent gone to College yet), and I am thankful everyday for that blessing.

Go ahead and call me stupid, but until I at least have a family to support, my cars WILL be my family.

BTW... Im sure were pretty free to discuss whatever we choose here, as per the fact that its called a "FORUM".

darrelld is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Systems Administrator for a financial services company.

FastCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

OK my story now about my family and jobs. On second thought no, my life has worked for me and mine and that's what counts.

"Happy New Year" everyone and may you all get what you need.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.