Today my rear windshield shattered on it's own (seems to have at least)!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By curtc
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Today my rear windshield shattered on it's own (seems to have at least)! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So today I park my car at work at 9:30, at 5:30 I go to my car to put some ...
    CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

Unhappy Today my rear windshield shattered on it's own (seems to have at least)!

So today I park my car at work at 9:30, at 5:30 I go to my car to put some stuff in the trunk and I'm confronted with the sights you see below!:

I was shocked, I thought someone shot at it with a BB gun or something, but I have never seen windshield glass shatter like that, it was holding on together by a hair.

I searched the vehicle and a security officer and a police officer we didn't find any evidence of foul play here, so what gives? Glass just failed?

The officer pointed out that the glass is pushing outwards, had it been a foreign object that hit it from the outside it would have leaned forwards, I kind of agree with him on that. I called my insurance to double check if my local dealeriship is a fully covered place and told them I'm taking it to my GM dealer. They approved that.

Now I drove the car as careful and slow as can be but I knew it was destined to fall apart before I get to the dealer.

Below are photos I took of the windshield upon my arrival at the dealership, feast your eyes well:

I asked the the company my insurance company contracted for glass related matters if an OEM replacement is an acceptable fix for this, they told me it's uncertain, they told me it might be the case they only accept a to use an aftermarket glass and if I want OEM glass I might have to fork the difference over the aftermarket product.

I don't think that's acceptable if that turns out to be the case.

I have a $250 deductible, so if I'm going to pay that anyways, I want the real deal without extra out of pocket.

I asked the lady at the dealership, she told me she has seen this case of self imploding windshields before, but only on Jaguars never on a Cadillac...hmmm

Any other Cadillac owner ever deal with such a matter before?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 125k
    YES! I had my rear window explode on my 2001 Seville.

Got out, shut the front door, opened rear door to get my bag, shut rear door...GLASS EXPLOSION!

A hole the size of a bowling ball opened, the rest of it spidered into shards, looked very similar to yours...Drove it carefully to a glass shop after that for replacement, luckily I have a $0 deductible for glass claims.

It was about 10 degrees F when this happened though...Glass shop blamed the cold and the instant pressure change when I closed the rear door....still crazy as hell
    CTSM and CTSM like this.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Re: Today my rear windshield shattered on it's own (seems to have at least)!

You know that the rear window isn't anything like the front window. They are both tempered, but the front has a film between two panes of glass. While the rear does not, legally doesn't need it like the front does.

Also, are you mixing your glass coverage with other coverages as for deductible? Cus I never heard of a glass coverage actually having any deductible.

KOT

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    You know that the rear window isn't anything like the front window. They are both tempered, but the front has a film between two panes of glass. While the rear does not, legally doesn't need it like the front does.

Also, are you mixing your glass coverage with other coverages as for deductible? Cus I never heard of a glass coverage actually having any deductible.

KOT
    I see, well I was not aware that the rear doesn't have the film the front has.

And as for the deductible, I'm just reiterating what the AUto Glass company lady that my insurance company contracted said.

I know insurance doesn't have a deductible for chips, but I'm not sure about whole windshields....

I hope you're right because I don't think I'm excited about parting with 250 green ones

----------

Quote Originally Posted by curtc View Post
    YES! I had my rear window explode on my 2001 Seville.

Got out, shut the front door, opened rear door to get my bag, shut rear door...GLASS EXPLOSION!

A hole the size of a bowling ball opened, the rest of it spidered into shards, looked very similar to yours...Drove it carefully to a glass shop after that for replacement, luckily I have a $0 deductible for glass claims.

It was about 10 degrees F when this happened though...Glass shop blamed the cold and the instant pressure change when I closed the rear door....still crazy as hell
    DId you end up getting OEM replacement BTW?

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Oh ok, well check with your insurance company. Because mine, Allstate, doesn't charge for whole glass change. Nor does it affect my policy later on down the road. BUT it also depends on your policy, not just the company if you are Allstate as well.

KOT

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 125k
    Quote Originally Posted by CTSM

DId you end up getting OEM replacement BTW?
    Unfortunately no, OEM equivalent. Car is long gone now so no big deal now...
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Quote Originally Posted by curtc View Post
    Unfortunately no, OEM equivalent. Car is long gone now so no big deal now...
    Did the replacement glass feel almost the same as OEM? Or was it apparent that there is a difference?

Dealership called me this morning, they said they would give me an OEM one if there were one to be found in the whole country!

OEM Back Glass is on National Back Order List

Last time I tried the National Back Order List I said no more.....I needed a center console face plate change under warranty, and it took 3 months to get it, it was worth the wait, but since this is the back windshield we are talking about, no can do, I'm going after market since it can be done in a day.

erdoc48 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD, Platinum Ice

A similar event occurred with my older Acura TL a few years ago (my brother owned the car in Colorado when it occurred). It happened on a very cold morning, and security cameras even noted when it occurred. It was a spontaneous event and not related to anyone hitting the glass.

As for replacement glass, you can opt for OEM glass, but if I was in your situation, I would honestly get OEM equivalent (but not pay the difference for OEM) since the car is older and has a lot of miles on it. As long as it's approved safety glass, I wouldn't get too concerned.

OEM equivalent glass should have the same specs (but may not be made by the same manufacturer as when the CTS was new). I just wouldn't go with an aftermarket product that doesn't have to have the same specs as OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by erdoc48 View Post
    A similar event occurred with my older Acura TL a few years ago (my brother owned the car in Colorado when it occurred). It happened on a very cold morning, and security cameras even noted when it occurred. It was a spontaneous event and not related to anyone hitting the glass.

As for replacement glass, you can opt for OEM glass, but if I was in your situation, I would honestly get OEM equivalent (but not pay the difference for OEM) since the car is older and has a lot of miles on it. As long as it's approved safety glass, I wouldn't get too concerned.

OEM equivalent glass should have the same specs (but may not be made by the same manufacturer as when the CTS was new). I just wouldn't go with an aftermarket product that doesn't have to have the same specs as OEM.
    I'm having this done at a Cadillac dealership and I'm guessing it's an OEM equivelant solution there...

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

ive seen this happen from temp change many times at work. its usually the first really hot day of the summer but still.

other thing it could have been is i heard if you throw part of a spark plug at glass it makes it shatter like that.. i think its the little end that causes the spark.

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by ghettomike View Post
    ive seen this happen from temp change many times at work. its usually the first really hot day of the summer but still.

other thing it could have been is i heard if you throw part of a spark plug at glass it makes it shatter like that.. i think its the little end that causes the spark.
    Or touch a window with an automatic centre punch............old machinist's trick.

Erin S. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS

I had the same thing happen to my 2001 STS today!!! Scared the heck out of me as I was driving down the road.

scooter05 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts

i think he was on the grassy knoll behind the bushes. looks like a point of impact. if it was a temperature thing should be equal on the shatter pattern.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.