Stalling *
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Stalling * in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I was driving on the highway today, upon trying to exit the highway I slowed down and my 2003 CTS ...
    Nunob77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Stalling *

I was driving on the highway today, upon trying to exit the highway I slowed down and my 2003 CTS stalled. No power. I pulled over, it stayed off for about 10 minutes, after that it restarted.

I drove it another 5 miles an it stalled again. My battery seemed to be charging fine, while parked battery was at 11.8 - 12 volts and in the 13's while it was on.

Any ideas what it can be?

Crank Sensor? Alternator? Bad battery?

This sound familiar to anyone else on here

Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

erdoc48 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD, Platinum Ice

Re: Stalling *

Questions for you:
    - when lights are on, are they dim?
    - when charging, I believe the charging voltage should be closer to 14 volts
    - does the car seem to not have enough cranking current when starting the car?
    - how old is the existing battery?
    - any CELs?
    Just a few thoughts that might indicate need for a new battery

josney is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

crank position sensor is your problem, seeing you have an 03, thats your problem. you can pick one up for about $40-50 bucks and depending on your skills, it can be done pretty easily.
    Kingoftypos and Kingoftypos like this.

s_tharsan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport

Can this also not be a malfunctioning alternator? Cause this happened to me in another vehicle once and it was the alternator.

Quote Originally Posted by josney View Post
    crank position sensor is your problem, seeing you have an 03, thats your problem. you can pick one up for about $40-50 bucks and depending on your skills, it can be done pretty easily.

No dimming.
    voltage in park is about 13.9v
    car will crank and without any luck, given 10 minutes with car off, it cranks fine.
    Existing battery is original to me since I bought it with about 16K on it. Guessing its the original from factory.
    There is a CEL but did not grab numbers. I'm sure one is O2 sensor (non related)

It seems it rechrges, I drive it and it quietly dies while driving, especially upon deceleration ( may be a coincidence) Only happened twice before towing.

s_tharsan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport

How many km do you have on the car. I once owned a car that would die all the time. I pull the battery out and left it over night and it would keep its charge. But in the end I found out it was still the battery doing weird stuff. Changed the battery and the car was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nunob77 View Post
    No dimming.
    voltage in park is about 13.9v
    car will crank and without any luck, given 10 minutes with car off, it cranks fine.
    Existing battery is original to me since I bought it with about 16K on it. Guessing its the original from factory.
    There is a CEL but did not grab numbers. I'm sure one is O2 sensor (non related)

It seems it rechrges, I drive it and it quietly dies while driving, especially upon deceleration ( may be a coincidence) Only happened twice before towing.

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

I am gonna agree with josney... Crank Shaft Position sensor.

KOT

if you try to start the car and the starter just cycles for a few seconds, but will never start, its the CPS. i am willing to bet the farm. wait, i dont have a farm. but if i did, i would bet it anyway. we typically get about 4 or 5 a month around here, very common for 03's.
    s_tharsan and s_tharsan like this.

Then the 10 minute wait, classic symptom.

KOT

Quote Originally Posted by josney View Post
    if you try to start the car and the starter just cycles for a few seconds, but will never start, its the CPS.
    This exactly IT with the 10 minute wait. I'll let my mechanic know what I think it is and he'll take care of it.

Thank you.

Car has 79K

thats was about the time mine took a dump....80,000 mile mark. just be prepared that some mechanics "may" not believe you. I had several buddies of mine say there was not way flushing the heater core would solve my heat problems years ago, but to this day, no problems. so, just be prepared for another diagnosis

I told my mechanic I thought it was the Crank Shaft Position sensor... he responded with "how do you know it is the Crank Shaft Position sensor?" So i fully expect it.

Will get an update here soon.

What was your answer to his question?

A few years ago, I remember a Cadillac dealer replacing a bunch of stuff. Fuel pump and filter, ECM and whatever else. The member came on here, gave us the symptoms and we told him crank shaft sensor. He tells the dealer, despite not believing him they replaced it. Days, weeks and months went by with no problems. The dealer was dumb founded and took it as a learning experience. Thankfully, the work was done under the members extend warranty.

KOT

danielfilteau is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts 2003

my 03, 3.2 l. has the same problem but I have to wait about an hour before it restarts. All electrical looks normal. ther are no codes on the ecm. how can you know if it's the cps or fuel system if ther is no codes? thanks.

mine gave no codes. just the symptoms given above

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.