DIY Rack and Pinion and struts. anyone have directions for me
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, DIY Rack and Pinion and struts. anyone have directions for me in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; title says it all. I am going to be doing the struts and rack and pinion and I wanted to ...
    MRGREBENICK@AOL.COM is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS ly7 (3.6)

DIY Rack and Pinion and struts. anyone have directions for me

title says it all. I am going to be doing the struts and rack and pinion and I wanted to know if anyone had the DIY Guide so that I can complete this on my own. any help would be great. I will post pics to help others. thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MRGREBENICK@AOL.COM is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS ly7 (3.6)

Re: DIY Rack and Pinion and struts. anyone have directions for me

Still no help with the rack and pinion someone..... anyone......

TunixComplex is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2 5M

I paid a shop to do it they put it in for like $300. I heard it can be a huge bitch if you dont have a lift. Its heavy takes some finesse to remove from under there and a lot of parts need to come off to get to it.

Struts... not sure... this forum could use way more write-ups even though we already have a good amount.

s_tharsan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport

I know there's no CTS DIY but there are some DIY's with other vehicles if you search YouTube. Helps get some pointers at least. Good luck.

cabletech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt

Rack wasn't too bad, I just took off 'stuff in the way' and slid it out the side. I think just some plastic, maybe the sway bar, and of course the front wheels. I do have a lift though...

I did have trouble with the 'new' rack though. It didn't want to sit at the same angle as the old one, so the steering shaft rubbed the frame. I made a couple of wedge shaped metal shims, which changed the angle of the rack just a few degrees, and got the clearance I needed.

Black Kona is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS, 1986 Seville
    We just put the car up on jacks and after removing the tires/tie rods, etc. we then had a problem sliding it out through the side. We unscrewed the pipes/hoses and then released the motor mounts and then used the jack to raise the engine. We unhooked the soft shield on the top rear of the engine. We didn't have to disconnect anything. Once we got clearance, we pulled that sucker out. No problem

Ronnn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS sport

Hello mrgrebenick Your struts are just as easy as your rack so if you pulled that off you will have no prob with the struts. But I wanted to share with you the suspention set up I have settled on for my 04 3.6 sport. After two sets of struts besides the factory set I practically stole a set of I think you guys call them FG2's? They are the upgrade stuts for the v and they crush all others. For bars I put on the hotchkis sport bars and upgraded the strut tower brace. The car still rides great and roll has been reduced to almost noting. Just wanted to give you the help it cost me 2000$ to find the right set up. And as far as monroe struts don't even take them out of the box they suck.... worst money I ever spent on car parts. Three months of that was all I could stand. They were like putting on used struts and got worse every day I drove them. Just my two cents hope it helps. fyi kybs are better but not by much. They start out good but loosen up after just 5 or 6000 miles. Ron

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.